Author Topic: A graphic example of passing too close  (Read 6788 times)

Re: A graphic example of passing too close
« Reply #25 on: 28 August, 2008, 03:57:34 pm »
This used to happen to me a lot, and still does sometimes, usually in the City, so I now purposely ride further out from the kerb especially if I consider that the road is too narrow for any vehicle to pass me safely, I will force them to wait.

Some motorists seem hell bent on having to save half a second.  Consider the amount of times that you and everyone else have been overtaken only for the motorist to then immediately turn left in front of you.

I am seriously considering the purchase of a CCTV camera to fit onto a helmet. 

Has anyone else tried this idea yet?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #26 on: 28 August, 2008, 04:09:50 pm »
That is too close to pass

But let's face it- it is an everyday occurance to be passed closer than this photo shows

And at high speed.  And by a high sided vehicle.

Here are some pics of the same course though a different event.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 16 September, 2008, 09:06:31 am »
If I get past that close in Bangalore traffic, I think the car driver is being very generous. In fact, if an Indian cyclist gives a bus that much room, he's being generous.

A miss is as good as a mile, and anything less is a cultural difference. Did the driver have a figure of Ganesha on the dashboard or has the rider got a holy thread in a locket around his neck?  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #28 on: 16 September, 2008, 05:14:11 pm »
But to give it the due consideration, this is just after a rider has started off, right in front of the car giving them very little time to react. Passing a stationary cyclist is very different to passing a moving one.

Do TT starters really start people on the minute regardless of traffic?

Yes, in my experience. But they give you a warning.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse