Author Topic: What's Nepalese nosh like then?  (Read 2485 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
What's Nepalese nosh like then?
« on: 21 May, 2009, 10:36:35 pm »
'cos there are bound to be a bunch of restaurants opening up once the retired Gurkhas decide they've had enough of fish 'n' chips.   :smug:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: What's Nepalese nosh like then?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2009, 10:50:19 pm »
'cos there are bound to be a bunch of restaurants opening up once the retired Gurkhas decide they've had enough of fish 'n' chips.   :smug:

Hmmm.... Dunno.

But they do seem to be an attractive proposition to the suited security which guards the office blocks in what once were public, but are now privately owned areas.
Like the Blue Fin building on Southwark Street.
As we found out on Liz's Boxing Day ride V2 when we tried to lean our bikes against some privately owned shopfront glass whilst Phil tussled with shoddy inner tubes.

I found it a bit humbling / sad / not sure, having the security bod tell me he used to be in the Gurkhas....

Sorry - a bit OT

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2009, 10:54:48 pm »
Did you believe him?

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2009, 11:17:08 pm »
... err, yes.

I guess it didn't seem that implausible given his age etc.
And while we were *clearly* contravening something, on reflection they seemed professionally restrained, as opposed to, say, encouraging one of us off-cctv to have a few convincing words.

« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2009, 01:09:46 am »
Getting back on topic...

Nepalese cuisine is pretty much like Indian, with a dash of Chinese thrown in. In fact, there is a Nepalese restaurant just a few minutes walk from where I live.

Everest Spice
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2009, 05:22:32 am »

Rice and lentils
Dahl bat

That's about 95 % of traditional everyday Nepalese cuisine.

« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2009, 10:54:24 am »
According to my brother-in-law, it's gin-n-tonic, mixed about 1:1. Served by the pint.

He doesn't remember much else about Nepal, other than that he thoroughly enjoyed his time there.  :thumbsup: ;D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2009, 11:06:22 am »
We've had a Nepalese gaff as one of our favourite local curry houses for ages.

Monty's Restaurant Northfields
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2009, 11:08:05 am »
Nepalese Nosh = Nom Nom Nom ;D
Getting there...

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2009, 11:11:47 am »
Yak burger?  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2009, 11:13:00 am »
There's a nepalese restaurant in Balham.  Lovely food there.  Can't remember what it's called, but Butterfly might.  We went there as one of our first forays on a tandem. :)
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2009, 11:17:43 am »
According to my brother-in-law, it's gin-n-tonic, mixed about 1:1. Served by the pint.

Round here, we call that "boat gin"  :D  It's the quinine, y'see.  Keeps the politicians off.

Washes dahl bat down a treat too.  No yakburgers?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2009, 11:28:20 am »
There's a nepalese restaurant in Balham.  Lovely food there.  Can't remember what it's called, but Butterfly might.  We went there as one of our first forays on a tandem. :)

:-[  In the light of the discussion, some (unkind) people might suggest I should have remembered it is called Gurkhas :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2009, 11:33:55 am »

Dahl bat

Be careful what you ask for.  :sick: (bhat)

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2009, 11:37:29 am »
Do you reckon the British places will authentically replicate the hygiene standards of Nepal?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...