Author Topic: I hate running, but...  (Read 8098 times)

Re: I hate running, but...
« Reply #50 on: 16 November, 2012, 09:39:10 am »
urban_biker:  I used to hate running at school.  My first wife was a keen runner when we were first going out (couple of 1/2 marathons and got entry to the London Marathon but never actually ran it) so we tried running together occasionally and I did a bit on my own.  But we split up in '92 and I've not really tried since early '93 when I kept getting niggly injuries whenever I started.  The slow pace of the introduction on the NHS couch to 5k seems to have prevented that (touch wood).  I would recommend it to anyone thinking of running from a 'zero' start.  The only caveat, of course, is that I have been cycling so my base fitness is probably a bit better than the average 53 year old, but that should apply to most people reading this here.

And I hit a target this morning!  Including the 5 minute warm up and warm down, I covered over 5km for the first time!   :smug:  Rather slowly compared to many (35'27") but a full 5k!  And that's at the end of week 6 of 9.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

LindaG

« Reply #51 on: 16 November, 2012, 09:42:27 am »
 :thumbsup:

Result, then?  Newtoncap and I had a discussion at the weekend, about whether running really was good cross-training for cycling.  We figured that at least you were using muscles in extension, that you wouldn't on the bike, so it meant your fitness was likely to be more well-rounded. IYSWIM

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #52 on: 16 November, 2012, 10:27:58 am »
urban_biker:  I used to hate running at school.  My first wife was a keen runner when we were first going out (couple of 1/2 marathons and got entry to the London Marathon but never actually ran it) so we tried running together occasionally and I did a bit on my own.  But we split up in '92 and I've not really tried since early '93 when I kept getting niggly injuries whenever I started.  The slow pace of the introduction on the NHS couch to 5k seems to have prevented that (touch wood).  I would recommend it to anyone thinking of running from a 'zero' start.  The only caveat, of course, is that I have been cycling so my base fitness is probably a bit better than the average 53 year old, but that should apply to most people reading this here.

And I hit a target this morning!  Including the 5 minute warm up and warm down, I covered over 5km for the first time!   :smug:  Rather slowly compared to many (35'27") but a full 5k!  And that's at the end of week 6 of 9.

S

Excellent - I'll have to take a look at this NHS program.
Owner of a languishing Langster

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #53 on: 16 November, 2012, 07:48:16 pm »
I'm afraid my NHS COuch to 5K program is temporarily stalled at mid way through week 4. Dreaded lurgy & college deadlines isn't helping my motivation!

Couch potato no longer?
« Reply #54 on: 07 December, 2012, 07:41:17 am »
I've managed to complete the programme of podcasts. 
Well, nearly...
Two runs this week of 30 minutes so only one to go.  However, I don't think should run today.  My left knee is hurting this morning (and it is the knee joint, not the muscles).  Guess I need to be sensible and 'rest' over the weekend. 
I may also get some better shoes.
Any suggestions for a supplier in Bath? (Seeing MrsC has 'asked' that we go there tomorrow)

BrianI

Re: Couch potato no longer?
« Reply #55 on: 11 December, 2012, 01:37:12 pm »
I've managed to complete the programme of podcasts. 
Well, nearly...

Well done that man!   :thumbsup:

Still stalled halfway through week 4.... 
Nice afternoon now, so I may get running kit on again and head out!   :D

Hopefully your knee will get better soon! 

BrianI

« Reply #56 on: 18 December, 2012, 03:39:29 pm »
Just in from NHS week 5 run 2!  :thumbsup:
5 min warm up. 8 min run. 5 min walk, 8 min run!   :D

« Reply #57 on: 18 December, 2012, 05:14:17 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm contemplating my first 'post-course' run!  Despite having a week off when my knee complained bitterly, I managed a half hour yesterday and will attempt the same tonight.  I think I'll re-use the last of the podcasts and maybe look to putting some of my own running music together over the Christmas break.

However, as my secondment finishes tomorrow I should be able to use the bike from the new year (might even squeeze a ride or two in over the holidays) so the need for running will diminish. 

How frequently would I have to run to keep some level of competence up?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 19 December, 2012, 11:48:29 pm »
How frequently would I have to run to keep some level of competence up?
<as no forum experts have responded ... >

impossible to say. To 'tread water', probably twice a week.

For me, more important is how to avoid injury. If you run at your 'accustomed' pace/distance just once a month you're asking for trouble. I'd hazard a guess that WEEKLY is probably the minimum to stop your joints losing their running resilience. But you'll probably get steadily slower (do you care?).

YMMV by very large amounts!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #59 on: 31 December, 2012, 06:45:53 pm »
I read a Bio of Bob Hope. On tour he was always staying in Hotels. Every night he used to walk for a few miles around the town/city he was staying in. Lived to be a 100, so sounds like a good exercise regime. Walking is really good as it can exercise the whole body. Evidently, walking is just about the only thing we are good at in comparison to ther mammals.
I walk and run if I can't get out on the bike. I'll always try to walk everywhere for shopping etc. The good thing about running is, it's just outside the door and you can get a huge exercise fix in a short period of time. It's great to get a quick run in, even when its raining, which is all the time just now. 30/40 mins and your back for a hot shower and chuck minimal running kit in wash.
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #60 on: 01 January, 2013, 03:04:02 pm »
On the topic of running helping cycling. IME it can, but not really in areas you'd expect it. Because most of the time you'll be running at a much higher heart rate than cycling I find your cardiovascular system gets a real boost, which is most noticeable when climbing hills where you can go further and quicker.

However the caveat at least for me is that cycling a day after a run is really difficult. I feel personally that physiologically cycling benefits running more than the other way round.

For the record I ran my first 10k race for a couple of years today and did it in 48 minutes, but my god it was hard!!!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 01 January, 2013, 03:19:39 pm »
I would mostly disagree with that.

On the topic of running helping cycling. IME it can, but not really in areas you'd expect it. Because most of the time you'll be running at a much higher heart rate than cycling I find your cardiovascular system gets a real boost, which is most noticeable when climbing hills where you can go further and quicker.
You'd get the same benefit (and more) by cycling at those heart rates!

If you're more 'bike fit' than 'run fit', you will be able to sustain 'heart rate =X' for longer than when running. Few people can do long runs more than 4hours, but that's just the start of endurance cycling - so you can do more training on the bike, and STILL fit in a hard interval at raised heart-rate. [if you're a runner just doing a bit of cycling, you're on the wrong thread/website :) ]

(I know HR-max is usually a smidge higher running than cycling for most people, but you don't/shouldn't train at HR-max, so it's irrelevant.)

Where we might agree is that most cycling IS done at lower HR than most people run. But you CAN ride harder if you want to!

p.s. my first 10 is 12 days away - 48mins will be a miracle ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #62 on: 01 January, 2013, 03:29:54 pm »
Ref: Mattc's post, I certainly notice that when I'm bike fit(!) I can cruise along on my not running fit legs quite happily for as long as I want, easily 10km+, my CV system just ticking over.

I ache like mad the next day though, especially through the hip joints from all  that pounding of pavements/trails.

« Reply #63 on: 01 January, 2013, 03:42:19 pm »
mattc, I'm typing on my phone so I am not being entirely clear, I wholeheartedly agree regarding the cardiovascular statement, but in my opinion that's where the benefit ends. Physiologically wise I don't find the muscle groups exercised benefit cycling that much as much as cycling assists running.

At the end of the 10k my heart and lungs felt fantastic which is a definate result of cycling long distance, but my legs were ripped to shreds. I can barely stand right now!!! ;D

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #64 on: 01 January, 2013, 03:52:59 pm »
Yeah, I think we're in agreement on that! As I posted on t'other thread, my HR on a flatout 5km is waaaay below what I can do on the bike for a longer TT, yet my legs are fecked afterwards. (Hopefully the gap will narrow as I get more 'run fit' - but it won't close until I do as many foot hours as bike hours.)

It's even worse for us forefoot strikers, I suspect, what with the calves doing even more work.

(I can ride pretty well after a hard run, but I probably lose  a little top-end. Compare with when I ran the day after a steady 200k recently; my calves were complaining throughout, even plodding.)

I really don't think running is 'good' for your cycling - or Sir Brad would be doing it! It's really a mental thing - you might run when you can't be arsed* to ride, it will help keep weight off and give some CV benefit (compare to sitting on the couch).

*or conditions are just too dangerous
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #65 on: 15 March, 2013, 09:55:02 pm »
Hmm. This evening Miss Ham - who is currently on a bit of a gym/fitness kick - was feeling exceptional sorry for herself because none of her friends would join her for a run/gym whatever.

So I volunteered myself to jog with her. Not far, but I surprised myself in that I completed the 3 miles in substantially better shape than herself, in terms of general fitness. But I do not wish to comment about my back or knees.

I do hate running, it is true. I suspect I may have let myself in for more that I really wanted, though.