Author Topic: ACME 'Who's Entered What' Audax Thread  (Read 21496 times)

Re: ACME 'Who's Entered What' Audax Thread
« Reply #50 on: 14 April, 2021, 12:21:44 am »
Thanks. How much slower are the other services anyway? I couldn't figure out from the timetable which was which, leaving Tottenham Hale. I'm basically trying to work out how much time to allow. As you say though, with trains probably running near-empty and it being early, I can probably get at least to Stortford regardless.

Yes, obviously I couldn't take a normal bike on the Tube, but it's not a long ride anyway. It's just that the connections look quite tight so I need to make the right choices, or get up extra early ;D

« Reply #51 on: 14 April, 2021, 07:55:32 am »
At Tottenham Hale I would suggest just getting the first train to Bishop's Stortford that comes through. Very occasionally somebody has stopped me from taking a bike on a Stansted Express train at Liverpool Street, but I've never had any issues when joining at intermediate stations and getting off at Bishop's Stortford.

The other trains on the line would normally be about 10 minutes longer, depending on the number of additional stops they are making. Best to check the timetable if you are tight for time.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: 14 April, 2021, 08:28:48 am »
... It's just that the connections look quite tight so I need to make the right choices, or get up extra early ;D

There's a bit of wiggle room - I've kept some of the mid-late groups to 3 or 4, to slot late arrivals in if necessary. I'll be riding in the 'sweep' group of 2 or 3, starting at 10:50.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #53 on: 14 April, 2021, 08:20:51 pm »
Ive bitten the bullet and have entered the Asparagus & Strawberries 400km even if Ive had to pay my own travel and accommodation costs (previous attendance at ACME events had been part funded by coincidental business travel).

Train south to that London Friday 16th, stay over with friends and early train to Manningtree.  Leisurely 24+ hr ride round and train back to London.  Staying over London Sunday night too (commercially) so ive got time to do something meaningful if Im not sleeping.  Train home Monday 19th.

Looking at the records its actually the last calendar event I completed in June 2019, everything else since has been a DIY.r

« Reply #54 on: 16 April, 2021, 11:47:50 am »
For better or for worse, ECE to Woodman now submitted.  Must remember the extra distance I’m doing when everyone piles off into the distance and my stomach is rumbling.

Note on the 2021 Woodman 100 10k GPX from Wilkyboys website. It doesn’t include a waypoint for the Witham Info control.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #55 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:38:21 pm »
For better or for worse, ECE to Woodman now submitted.  Must remember the extra distance I’m doing when everyone piles off into the distance and my stomach is rumbling.

ITYF everyone else in your group is also ECEing  (not that I know who they are I've just had a LOT of ECEs for this ride)

Enjoy! I gave at the office midweek

« Reply #56 on: 16 April, 2021, 01:55:56 pm »
It’s funny. I’m looking forward to my first calendar event and having others to ride with, after 13 months.  But I’ll be grumpy about keeping to my own pacing and stop time.  Audax as usual 😂

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: 16 April, 2021, 07:20:58 pm »
Note on the 2021 Woodman 100 10k GPX from Wilkyboys website. It doesn’t include a waypoint for the Witham Info control.

All is clear on the route sheet.  O:-)

And the info answer is in letters 10 feet tall, you can't miss it!

See you all tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #58 on: 16 April, 2021, 07:36:42 pm »

I have compared the two.  If you’re going to get a job right you have to do it yourself. None of this subcontracting 😆 See you tomorrow. Cold outbound ECE then reasonable there after.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: 16 April, 2021, 08:23:30 pm »

I have compared the two.  If you’re going to get a job right you have to do it yourself. None of this subcontracting 😆 See you tomorrow. Cold outbound ECE then reasonable there after.

;D

Some degree of leg-exposure is possible tomorrow ...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #60 on: 16 April, 2021, 08:28:18 pm »
Having been wearing full winter kit this week I'm confused what to wear tomorrow...
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #61 on: 17 April, 2021, 07:20:42 pm »
Re Woodman 105 km audax. Thanks Tom for organising. Completed it with my son today. As always, friendly bunch of cyclists and we were blessed with fine weather. Hope all riders returned safely.

« Reply #62 on: 17 April, 2021, 08:41:22 pm »
I enjoyed that.  Jacket and gloves till Sawbridgeworth then removed them whilst writing info question answer in my brevet. Nice to have others to ride with and chat. Quite a few of us descended on Ingatestone at same time. Parked on Budgens side where sun was. Cambridge Nick overtook on hill up to Galley Wood.  He stopped one junction too early for info clue in Danbury. My descent of Great North Hill had to be slowed when I caught a Range Rover near the bottom / paper mill. Boo for needing to scrub speed. . Then stayed ahead of Nick till he went past when I was stopped for more food just beyond Witham where a few logs at side of lane were perfect for sitting. Adam caught me up not long after my fourth food stop after Witham. We rode the final section together to the finish. Had another food stop at Gt Dunmow before my ECE leg home.  Legs were a bit dead after the break but they recovered later on.  Appetite good when I got home, which is always a good sign. 220km all told for me.

« Reply #63 on: 17 April, 2021, 09:09:23 pm »
Thanks to Tom for organising. I did the 50km route and really enjoyed it.
I cycled over from Harlow to the start and with the ride home at the end clocked up 105km.
Despite living and regularly riding in the area it was nice to ride some new roads and tracks.
I'll definitely be stopping a the Shed coffee house again in the future as well.
Thanks
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #64 on: 17 April, 2021, 09:58:35 pm »
Grand ride and first calendar event since summer 2019 :thumbsup: Thanks to Tom / ACME.

Great to visit some new roads and chat with various people including Tomsk, Huggy & L. Phil near the end.

Certainly didn't eat enough and felt a bit crap after the 55 km ride back into the wind from Great Dunmow.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #65 on: 18 April, 2021, 09:52:08 am »
Thanks Tomsk and ACME for a grand day out. It was a day of firsts - my first 50 and my 12yo daughter’s first audax. We chose the off-road 50 which was just a scenic joy to ride, even on 23mm tyres. I prefer lanes to A road bashes and there was plenty of those too. Daughter’s verdict - 9/10 with the dropped mark because apparently I brought the wrong energy bar for her. She thought the deli club at the Shed was an acceptable replacement!

Tomsk, thank you for welcoming her as you did and thanks also to the many who gave her an encouraging word as they passed - it all left a very positive impression on her.

Martin

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: 18 April, 2021, 12:52:25 pm »
Thanks Tomsk and ACME for a grand day out. It was a day of firsts - my first 50 and my 12yo daughter’s first audax. We chose the off-road 50 which was just a scenic joy to ride, even on 23mm tyres. I prefer lanes to A road bashes and there was plenty of those too. Daughter’s verdict - 9/10 with the dropped mark because apparently I brought the wrong energy bar for her. She thought the deli club at the Shed was an acceptable replacement!

Tomsk, thank you for welcoming her as you did and thanks also to the many who gave her an encouraging word as they passed - it all left a very positive impression on her.

Martin

... Your collection of 'Shinys' starts at 50km and leads via a Mini-Slam of any collection of distances building to: The Grand Slam of Shiny: 50, 100, 150 Brevet Populaires, plus a Super-Randonneur series of 200, 300, 400 & 600km rides in a season; The Grandest Slam adding the 1000km ACME Grand. An entirely Essex Collection is even better! My made-up rules: correct distances, no substitution of longer for shorter as per AUK rules. These things are kind of addictive, but motivational - that's the point! You could start with a Pink Shiny Round the Year of 50km/month! It's all good.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #67 on: 18 April, 2021, 02:33:33 pm »
Martin - there is an Audax UK Brevet 250 award and to encourage younger members the badge is free for under 18s! It's also possible to include a couple of 100km events in the five rides.
Is your daughter already a member? If not and she wants to join, drop me a mail (membership@audax.uk) and I will give you a discount code so that you get a refund of the non-member supplement paid for the event.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #68 on: 18 April, 2021, 03:39:50 pm »
Man thanks to Tomsk for organising as usual.

The 9:40 group had a leisurely ride around the route. Was a bit cold to begin with but was able to remove a layer at Ingatestone. Just in time for the cold headwind on the way to the next control. Was nice to have the sun out though and made a change from the usual storms from last year's end of season dash.

Enjoyed the off-road section down the farm track and to catch up with some familiar faces and new ones. Was also pleased we descended the Mighty North Hill.

We all managed to avoid some serious mechanicals but it was close 

See you all next time. :).

ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #69 on: 18 April, 2021, 07:20:12 pm »
Another delightful riding of the Woodman. I don't know who you bribe Tom - I'm going to assume all your rides done in such nice weather.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #70 on: 18 April, 2021, 07:42:48 pm »
Thx Tom for a wonderful ride. First audax since May 2019 and was grateful to be back.  lovely route and weather. Really enjoyed some of the smaller lanes and bridleway.

« Reply #71 on: 19 April, 2021, 10:11:49 am »
Thanks for a great route.

Might ask for a small portion at the Shed next time as I think my faculties were somewhat reduced following their breakfast bap.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #72 on: 20 April, 2021, 07:41:33 am »
Glad everyone had a good time, whether or not they did a good time! Looking at the brevets, there's a distinct division between the two approaches on the 100km. I gather some groups got a civilised afternoon tea, including at the home of two riders who live on the route. I note the recently re-opened Paper Mill Lock cafe was also visited.

Back to the actual thread topic ... Green and Yellow Fields on the weekend after next time:

Tomsk
Despeuch
felstedrider
josser
adamski
psyclist

Any others?

felstedrider

« Reply #73 on: 20 April, 2021, 08:17:23 am »
Back to the actual thread topic ... Green and Yellow Fields on the weekend after next time:

Tomsk
Despeuch
felstedrider
josser
adamski
psyclist

Any others?

Me.

« Reply #74 on: 20 April, 2021, 09:48:51 am »
I've just entered the Bildeston Lanes 100km for the 17/07 which gives me just over a month to try and get into shape once I am allowed to ride the bike again. I think it might end up being the only Audax I do ahead of the Winter series but I figured having a target was a good thing.