Author Topic: Dutch brevets in 2020  (Read 28663 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Dutch brevets in 2020
« Reply #150 on: 23 June, 2020, 02:35:35 pm »
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

rob

« Reply #151 on: 23 June, 2020, 02:48:22 pm »
Slightly OT but I still have a spot for RAtN and it looks, from this, that it may run.

I have looked at the travel regs and think it's do-able.   The limitation on quarantine coming back to the UK is fine as I'm WFH for the foreseeable future.   Key bit on the Dutch regs for me are :-

1. It's been mentioned elsewhere that there is a 14 day quarantine if you come into NL but I can't find an official confirmation on this.   There is some mention about flights but I will likely come in by ferry.

2. There is a requirement to provide evidence of your accommodation booking to cover your stay which is against race regs.   I'll be able to pre-book hotels for before/after the race but maybe not for the duration of the event.

Any local knowledge gratefully received.

Cheers

Rob

« Reply #152 on: 23 June, 2020, 03:42:23 pm »
We are restarting the audax season in the Netherlands in July (although it may be difficult for Brits to come to the Netherlands at the moment, so this is mainly a notification for those of you living on the "continent"). There are two changes to the calendar: the first Heerlen brevet will now head into the Eiffel region of Germany and the second goes through the Ardennes in Belgium, both are quite lumpy by Dutch standards (or even UK standards). The Groningen event in July was supposed to be an end-to-end ride from the Far North to the Deep South, but is now a tour of the Northern Dutch provinces with start and finish in the city of Groningen.

To make sure that we comply with the Dutch corona laws: maximum of 99 riders at the start (only pre-entry and pre-payment, entry closes 48 hrs before the start and members of Randonneurs NL have priority over non-members). Start will be outdoors at much as possible, no group start (collect brevet card and off you go) and no riding in big groups (max. 4 people). All controls are free controls. And, of course, if you have any signs of illness, then please stay at home.

Thanks for the update. Main issue I'm now up against is NS's stupid no bike on the train rule...

Does the Mybrevett thing count towards the Dutch RRtY ?

J

You could still put your bike in a bike bag and carry it as luggage. But yes, it's a major pain in the ass. I'm considering the Heerlen event in August by going via Germany (Groningen-Leer-Aachen avoids NS trains) and then cycling back home over a couple of days.

mybrevet.cc is just for fun, to keep everyone busy.

« Reply #153 on: 23 June, 2020, 03:48:52 pm »
Slightly OT but I still have a spot for RAtN and it looks, from this, that it may run.

I have looked at the travel regs and think it's do-able.   The limitation on quarantine coming back to the UK is fine as I'm WFH for the foreseeable future.   Key bit on the Dutch regs for me are :-

1. It's been mentioned elsewhere that there is a 14 day quarantine if you come into NL but I can't find an official confirmation on this.   There is some mention about flights but I will likely come in by ferry.

2. There is a requirement to provide evidence of your accommodation booking to cover your stay which is against race regs.   I'll be able to pre-book hotels for before/after the race but maybe not for the duration of the event.

Any local knowledge gratefully received.

Cheers

Rob

The website of the Dutch government is vague on the issue. For Dutch citizens coming back from the UK, the strong advice is to self-quarantine for 2 weeks (either at home or somewhere else), but no enforcement it seems? You could ask the Dutch embassy in London?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #154 on: 23 June, 2020, 06:06:32 pm »
You could still put your bike in a bike bag and carry it as luggage.
From the terms and conditions
NS may refuse you access to the train or require that you leave the train if NS is of the opinion that
your Hand Luggage, or the use thereof, is or may form a nuisance. NS may in any case do so if the
height, width or breadth of your Hand Luggage exceeds 85 centimetres.

You'll need a very small frame and remove the fork/wheels (I think) or have a S+S equipped bike and remove the front wheel (I know) to get to 85x85cm

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #155 on: 23 June, 2020, 06:22:08 pm »
NS may refuse you access to the train or require that you leave the train if NS is of the opinion that
your Hand Luggage, or the use thereof, is or may form a nuisance. NS may in any case do so if the

You'll need a very small frame and remove the fork/wheels (I think) or have a S+S equipped bike and remove the front wheel (I know) to get to 85x85cm

Arse...

J
--

Zed43

« Reply #156 on: 23 June, 2020, 06:25:10 pm »
Oh come on Julia, bring your Brompton!   O:-) ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #157 on: 23 June, 2020, 06:27:54 pm »
Oh come on Julia, bring your Brompton!   O:-) ;D

You thought I was slow on my real bike. Imagine how slow i am on a Brompton!!

Btw are campsites open yet? Maybe I should cycle up over 2 days...

J
--

« Reply #158 on: 23 June, 2020, 06:56:34 pm »

This is ridiculous, of course. For many people, not owning a car is feasible because of the train-bike combination. Apparerently, the largest rail company in the Netherlands does not see itself as part of an alternative to car ownership. The signal I am getting from both the government and NS is that if you want to travel this summer (for whatever reason) then you better own a car or have the means to hire one. Whereas we should be striving towards less car use (and less greenhouse gas emissions). [Sorry for the political rant!]

« Reply #159 on: 23 June, 2020, 06:58:37 pm »

Btw are campsites open yet? Maybe I should cycle up over 2 days...

From July 1, I believe so.

Zed43

« Reply #160 on: 23 June, 2020, 07:16:14 pm »
But best to inquire at the campsite you intend to stay beforehand, just to make sure they accept tents and have the toilets/showers available instead of only open for campers and caravans that bring their own.

Also, Staatsbosbeheer is not opening the "paalkampeerplekken" (pole camp sites, basically sanctioned wildcamping at specific spots for up to 3 tents), they will be closed for good. The other Staatsbosbeheer campsites as well as the NTKC campsites require prior reservation for the moment, even when you just have a small tent.

« Reply #161 on: 23 June, 2020, 07:35:25 pm »
Interestingly Belgium seems to be more relaxed now concerning Corona rules relevant for cyclists. So it might be interesting to route your trip up and down via Belgium as campsites might be more relaxed in their rules. (Or you cycle down to Essen and take a Belgian train from there.)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #162 on: 23 June, 2020, 07:54:21 pm »
Interestingly Belgium seems to be more relaxed now concerning Corona rules relevant for cyclists. So it might be interesting to route your trip up and down via Belgium as campsites might be more relaxed in their rules. (Or you cycle down to Essen and take a Belgian train from there.)

I was aiming for Groningen...

J
--

« Reply #163 on: 23 June, 2020, 08:23:16 pm »

I was aiming for Groningen...

Groningen is easy. Cycle to Enkhuizen, take the boat to Stavoren and from there take an Arriva train.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #164 on: 23 June, 2020, 08:37:02 pm »
Groningen is easy. Cycle to Enkhuizen, take the boat to Stavoren and from there take an Arriva train.

Perfect. Any recommendations for a simple campsite near the Groningen start?

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #165 on: 23 June, 2020, 08:38:28 pm »

Is the Groningen one at the end of July going to still be 400?

J
--

« Reply #166 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:13:45 pm »
Still 400, but very, very flat. To be honest, I've never looked into campsites close to the city. There is one in the Stadspark, but my guess is that Zed43/Peter has better recommendations.

« Reply #167 on: 24 June, 2020, 07:40:33 am »

Also, Staatsbosbeheer is not opening the "paalkampeerplekken" (pole camp sites, basically sanctioned wildcamping at specific spots for up to 3 tents), they will be closed for good. The other Staatsbosbeheer campsites as well as the NTKC campsites require prior reservation for the moment, even when you just have a small tent.

OT, but the pole campsites were super gross - so much used toilet paper strewn about the place. I'm not surprised they're closing permanently.

« Reply #168 on: 24 June, 2020, 06:26:23 pm »
For those of you who don't follow social media, we've secretly opened the registration for the brevets in July (Randonneurs NL members only for the moment, be sure to enter your membership number correctly and select the proper club).

« Reply #169 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:46:03 pm »
Latest news, bikes are welcom in NS trains again from july 1st. But you have to register via the app. More info will follow.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #170 on: 24 June, 2020, 11:45:42 pm »
Latest news, bikes are welcom in NS trains again from july 1st. But you have to register via the app. More info will follow.

WOO!

Thank fsck for that.

J
--

« Reply #171 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:16:15 am »
Great news; I hope it will be possible to reserve a spot on short notice (say 1hr in advance).

Zed43

« Reply #172 on: 25 June, 2020, 10:29:51 am »
I would suggest making reservations for every train that you might want to take on that day, allowing for every contingency.

Since your bicycle ticket is valid for the entire day and not just one particular train ride I don't see how they can prevent people from making many reservations and only showing up for one.

It's also going to be interesting when you miss the regular connecting train when you have a delay in the first leg of your travel.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #173 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:55:04 pm »
I would suggest making reservations for every train that you might want to take on that day, allowing for every contingency.

Since your bicycle ticket is valid for the entire day and not just one particular train ride I don't see how they can prevent people from making many reservations and only showing up for one.

It's also going to be interesting when you miss the regular connecting train when you have a delay in the first leg of your travel.

Thus breaking the reservation system...

"hey all the bike spaces are reserved"
"But no bikes are on the train"
"tough"

J
--

« Reply #174 on: 26 June, 2020, 08:46:38 am »
The bicycle ticket is then probably going to be for a specific train? With rebooking if you miss a connection? I'm curious to see what they come up with.

Luckily one of the brevets this month starts right in front of my house. So, I don't have to worry about trains until August.