Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1635974 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9700 on: 04 February, 2018, 03:38:05 pm »
BT SMS system: why oh why did you have to convert Irene's messages to voice today when they worked fine as text yesterday?

At a guess, your SMS receiving device failed to respond to the polarity inversion properly (for whatever reason), so the system decided you didn't have one any more and switched back to voice mode.

Some years ago, I dedicated far too much time and effort to try to get to the bottom of why the BT SMS system wouldn't play ball with Asterisk.  Turned out to be some sort of undocumented timing shenanigans at the BT end (I've recycled the neurons), which I hacked around in the driver source to achieve a mere ~95% success rate.  Pile of crap.  At least you could set up a cron job to re-register for SMS at regular intervals.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9701 on: 04 February, 2018, 04:03:15 pm »
... but it all worked yesterday...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9702 on: 04 February, 2018, 04:05:30 pm »

The common refrain of the BT customer.

I think it comes down to the way they do landline SMS being fundamentally unreliable, and every blue moon the attempt at delivery will randomly fail.  Which would be fine if it just tried again a minute later, rather than deciding you don't have an SMS-capable device any more.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9703 on: 05 February, 2018, 08:19:17 am »
Cardiac arrest coz 0°C, snow and a blustery NE wind. House arrest, that is. Bored shitless and it's only 09:18.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9704 on: 05 February, 2018, 08:39:07 am »

I think it comes down to the way they do landline SMS being fundamentally unreliable, and every blue moon the attempt at delivery will randomly fail.  Which would be fine if it just tried again a minute later, rather than deciding you don't have an SMS-capable device any more.
To be fair, SMS is not a guaranteed delivery system and never was. If you need to guarantee that a message has been delivered you need to use a messaging service that has proper message confirmation handshakes and the like.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9705 on: 05 February, 2018, 03:18:26 pm »

To be fair, SMS is not a guaranteed delivery system and never was. If you need to guarantee that a message has been delivered you need to use a messaging service that has proper message confirmation handshakes and the like.

Sure, but I'm only talking about the FSK-over-landline part of the process.  Usually it retries at intervals until the message is acknowledged by the receiving device, but sometimes it decides to give up and switches you to robot voice calls instead.

All it needs is for the "there is an SMS-capable device on this line" setting to stick until deliberately turned off, but presumably they don't want SMSes sitting undelivered in the queue indefinitely.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9706 on: 05 February, 2018, 03:44:32 pm »
Maybe our habit of disconnecting the landline 'overnight' (01.00-14.00) is an issue.

There again, Mobiles are frequently switched off for ages.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9707 on: 05 February, 2018, 03:47:43 pm »
Maybe our habit of disconnecting the landline 'overnight' (01.00-14.00) is an issue.

That's probably what's done it.

essexian

« Reply #9708 on: 06 February, 2018, 07:23:28 am »
With the lighter evenings upon us, I decided to pop out after work in the car for a quick bike ride around the lands of Haughton last Friday. Upon taking the bike out of the car I noticed that the saddle was a few degrees from being straight with the frame: due I suppose to it falling off of the work stand while I was washing it earlier in the day (the roads around here are so covered in "mud" that the bike needs cleaning after every ride!). So, as I had a tool kit with me, it was no effort to turn the saddle back into place and set off for my ride.

However....and yes, I am getting there.... I must have not got the placement quite right as, as I approached Penkridge my back started to really hurt. This got worse and worse meaning I cut the ride short and went home. Since then, I have been in pain when standing or sitting although laying down is fine.....shame I don't have a job where I lay down all day.  No riding for me over the weekend and when I tried a few minutes on the turbo last night, the pains in my back and hips were too much.

The moral of the story: "three degrees do matter."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9709 on: 06 February, 2018, 07:40:34 am »
Swivel is usually to the opposite of the side Sir dresses on, so I'd expect a little discomfort in the concert halls rather than back problems. Is it possible you changed the saddle height while the seat-tube clamp was loose?

« Reply #9710 on: 06 February, 2018, 01:12:39 pm »
Touch of Sciatica?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9711 on: 06 February, 2018, 03:39:44 pm »
did you know that you can use obfuscation to implement an IRP?
No? Neither did I!
god, but this project is going to make me old before my time  :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9712 on: 06 February, 2018, 03:52:45 pm »
Dr Beardy (Mrs) keeps on changing the channel on TV to the standard definition channels because she forgets/CBA to press the right digits for the HD channels.  >:(
For the First World Problem thread!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9713 on: 06 February, 2018, 06:11:17 pm »
Gotta hand it to the Ordnance Survey, they really are clever buggers.  I opened the 4 maps purchased for TINAT today and every one came folded the wrong way for the locations I was first looking for.  How do they know?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #9714 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:24:58 pm »
My CC details have been misused, as I found out when asked if I’d spent c£400 on women’s clothing this afternoon. That’s not the grumble though.  It’s that it will take Tesco (or whatever bank is behind their CC’s - used to be RBS) 9-11 calendar days to issue replacement cards. Why I wonder can’t I be given the new number immediately, even if the physical entity takes a while to catch up. That way PayPal, Apple Pay, Tesco Pay etc. could remain functional.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9715 on: 07 February, 2018, 08:14:10 am »
Whomever it was that decided that the gutterless car roof was a sensible thing should be made to sit on a soggy seat and have icicles dropped down there neck.  >:(

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9716 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:55:41 pm »
The new BBC weather map is useless for here. They've stuck the label for Belfast (including an opaque box) straight over the majority of the Lake District ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9717 on: 09 February, 2018, 08:56:19 am »
That'll Larne you.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9718 on: 10 February, 2018, 09:55:34 am »
My iron seems to have expired (it's blowing fuses). Can irons die of underuse?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #9719 on: 10 February, 2018, 11:21:49 am »
It's called rust.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9720 on: 10 February, 2018, 07:44:14 pm »
What's an 'iron'...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9721 on: 10 February, 2018, 07:50:10 pm »
It's what they used to use before they discovered the Corby trouser press.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9722 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:03:15 am »
It's much better than the prefabricated concrete coal bunker!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9723 on: 12 February, 2018, 01:10:38 pm »
The new BBC weather map is useless for here. They've stuck the label for Belfast (including an opaque box) straight over the majority of the Lake District ::-)
It's raining, or it's going to rain soon.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9724 on: 12 February, 2018, 01:30:00 pm »
It's what they used to use before they discovered the Corby trouser press.
Is there any other reason to go to Corby?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.