Author Topic: [HAMR] What now?  (Read 25407 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What now?
« Reply #100 on: 28 January, 2016, 04:23:19 pm »
Even I might try a Teethgrinder Limited Edition Cambium! :o

What for?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #101 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:11:07 pm »
Still 10 years for Steve to get to Kurt's age (when he started his attempt).

The record may well have been pushed into (even more) stupid territory by then.

220 miles a day bags you 80,000 miles.

I can see HAMR as a logical target for RAAM cyclists.

HOWEVER.... I still think that breaking the Tommy Godwin record, solely in the UK, by cycling from where you finished on the previous evening, will be open for an attempt for a while.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #102 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:23:34 pm »
HOWEVER.... I still think that breaking the Tommy Godwin record, solely in the UK, by cycling from where you finished on the previous evening, will be open for an attempt for a while.

Point of order: it's not the Tommy Godwin record any more - it's the Kurt Searvogel record.  I know it takes a bit of time to adjust the mindset but let's start giving Kurt the title he earned!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #103 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:26:13 pm »
How about the Rene Menzies record for doing it in France, or the Ossie Nicholson record for doing it in Australia?

« Reply #104 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:26:51 pm »

What would that record be (in terms of miles)? Even Tommy didn't ride under those rules.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #105 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:41:30 pm »
I think the criteria for someone achieving this record are very selective.

1) (IMHO the toughest) - a commitment to ride at least 11 - 12 hours every day for 365 days.   That's a level of dedication that drives world class musicians insane, top flight snooker players to get the jitters, and office workaholics like me to act like teapots.

2) In doing that you have to be able to ride at 18mph+ for that period (or increase the riding period to 14 hours per day) - see commitment 1

3) You require the social skills (have to be a nice enough person) that 1 - 2 others are going to give up their entire life for a year to support you, or 5 - 10 people are going to make a very serious commitment.

4) Willing to commit to the rules of the competiton around tracking etc, which imposes an additional level of discipline and stress.

The combination of all 4, odds against are astronomical.  Hence why Kurt and Steve are so special for what they did manage to achieve last year.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #106 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:48:16 pm »

What would that record be (in terms of miles)? Even Tommy didn't ride under those rules.

Well maybe there's an opening for that record, under those rules.

HAMR rules seem to allow for being driven to a very high place, with a prevailing wind, and cycling downhill with the wind on your back for 200 miles ... and repeat.

If people are going to fly between locations with the best current conditions then there's no way you can compete with that in the UK any more.  It just takes a freaky bad January and it's over.

What about "The most unbroken miles in a year" record?  If you want to get to a nice warm road in January then start cycling towards Spain in December.

I don't know.. maybe Steve holds the (my new unofficial) record.  Was he driven between start points at all?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #107 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:50:04 pm »
yes - at least once. But probably less than a dozen times, and I think only quite recently (2016 only?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hillbilly

« Reply #108 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:57:54 pm »
Ferry in both directions to ride PBP in 2015.

« Reply #109 on: 28 January, 2016, 06:35:32 pm »
This was all done when we set the rules with the UMCA.

My first motor transfer was in March, when I first got the broken ankle.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #110 on: 28 January, 2016, 06:51:55 pm »
When you rode up to see Hoppo was the first, perhaps?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LMT

« Reply #111 on: 29 January, 2016, 12:01:29 pm »

Point of order: it's not the Tommy Godwin record any more - it's the Kurt Searvogel record.  I know it takes a bit of time to adjust the mindset but let's start giving Kurt the title he earned!

Point of order x 2: It's the HAMR record which is held by Kurt Searvogel. :)

« Reply #112 on: 29 January, 2016, 01:44:58 pm »

Point of order x 2: It's the HAMR record which is held by Kurt Searvogel. :)

Point of order x3:  :)

It's both the HAMR (50-59 age group and overall) and the Guinness Record that Kurt holds

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/greatest-distance-cycled-in-a-year

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #113 on: 30 January, 2016, 12:22:01 am »

Well spotted. I think Steve let himself down by taking the easy option to France.

« Reply #114 on: 30 January, 2016, 07:19:22 am »
WWFD

hillbilly

« Reply #115 on: 30 January, 2016, 08:06:50 am »

Well spotted. I think Steve let himself down by taking the easy option to France.

I am likewise intruigued as to how Bruce will get from Australia to the UK, whilst satisfying the Guinness WR requirements.  I know he thinks he is great, but walking on water (let alone cycling) is the preserve of special ones like Jesus and David Blaine.

« Reply #116 on: 30 January, 2016, 08:47:07 am »
I am likewise intruigued as to how Bruce will get from Australia to the UK, whilst satisfying the Guinness WR requirements.

In much the same way that Kajsa will get from the UK to mainland Europe as she plans to do.

I don't think the Guinness rules preclude relocations such as this.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #117 on: 31 January, 2016, 02:28:13 pm »

I am likewise intruigued as to how Bruce will get from Australia to the UK, whilst satisfying the Guinness WR requirements.  I know he thinks he is great, but walking on water (let alone cycling) is the preserve of special ones like Jesus and David Blaine.

Give the deck a dressing of tar and small chipping and he'll have no problems.

PS. Set up some floodlights and a feeding station.