Author Topic: A Thread From Under the Floorboards  (Read 17441 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: A Thread From Under the Floorboards
« Reply #25 on: 05 December, 2021, 10:52:44 am »
A bit apologetically tangential to the thread, but the discussion of grubbing about in confined spaces reminds me of the placement i did before the final year of my degree. I did this with the computational chemist of the parish, a small, wiry cyclist. The first thing he got me to do was install network cards in Pentium PCs. The second thing was to get borrow his boiler suit and take some coax cable into the false roofspace of the basement labs and get the labs networked. It was then I found out I don't like enclosed spaces: my feet were larger than the space in which I had to crawl, I was dressed in the boiler suit of a 5' 5" Fifer, I was a 6'4" lang streak of pish. Lying fully extended (as it were) in that boiler suit hurt.

On reflection, I don't remember how much support there was in the false roofspace...

Oh Sha!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 05 December, 2021, 02:18:39 pm »
A bit apologetically tangential to the thread, but the discussion of grubbing about in confined spaces reminds me of the placement i did before the final year of my degree. I did this with the computational chemist of the parish, a small, wiry cyclist. The first thing he got me to do was install network cards in Pentium PCs. The second thing was to get borrow his boiler suit and take some coax cable into the false roofspace of the basement labs and get the labs networked. It was then I found out I don't like enclosed spaces: my feet were larger than the space in which I had to crawl, I was dressed in the boiler suit of a 5' 5" Fifer, I was a 6'4" lang streak of pish. Lying fully extended (as it were) in that boiler suit hurt.

On reflection, I don't remember how much support there was in the false roofspace...
A five-five Fifer is the number of the devil when in Scotland.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #27 on: 06 December, 2021, 10:22:28 pm »

A five-five Fifer is the number of the devil when in Scotland.

And you would need a long spoon to sup with them. (No disrespect to Fifers of this parish)
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'ĂȘtre un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 29 January, 2022, 01:59:31 pm »
I went for a sing under the floorboards again, ostensibly to see if there were a handy gas pipe in the locale of the current electric cooker. I'm not sure I learned very much though (other than I have no desire to crawl under floorboards for a living.)

J. Random plastic pipe under the wall the cooker is on. Wonder if the sink was there originally...
2022-01-29_01-31-56 by The Pingus, on Flickr

A maze of pipes but I have no idea if any of them are gas or if it's all water and central heating.
2022-01-29_01-32-25 by The Pingus, on Flickr

From the other direction
2022-01-29_01-36-57 by The Pingus, on Flickr

What is this valvey thing please?
2022-01-29_01-36-46 by The Pingus, on Flickr

All in all a bit of a waste of tuits, I think.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #29 on: 29 January, 2022, 02:05:36 pm »
Drain off cock for your heating circs?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #30 on: 29 January, 2022, 02:05:50 pm »
That looks like a drain tap for the CH.
Attach a hose and put the other end of the hose outdoors before deploying.

ETA - X post with Canardly.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #31 on: 29 January, 2022, 02:20:24 pm »
As a wiry cyclist this thread reminds me very much of my life in theatre.

The most disconcerting thing is when you find offerings and shrines.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #32 on: 30 January, 2022, 04:52:39 pm »
Jeez, all sorts of body parts are hurting today.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #33 on: 02 March, 2022, 10:03:45 am »
Well it's marginally more fun than terminating coax, I suppose.
OT but how do you terminate coax - electric chair? Ratbait? Full-on russian type nasty missile? My diseased mind has been sent off a bit tangential!!

« Reply #34 on: 24 April, 2022, 12:54:19 pm »
I wanted to record my floor rot experience in case it helps others. My floor is dry, and the solum is bone dry. I decided to add some solid wall insulation to the inside of an external wall (this is incidental to what occurred). I decided to continue the insulation through the floor so that there wouldn't be bit of cold floorboard to gather interstitial condensation; to do this, I lifted the board adjacent to the wall and cut it narrower. At this point, I found that the ends of my joists resting on the dwarf wall were like paper, and I had to sister several of them to galvanised steel angle iron to strengthen them. The root cause was that inner layer of old-style wet plaster had crumbled to sand behind the skirting board, dropped,  and filled the air gap between the joist end and the exterior wall. As a result, water was able to wick into the joist, and, also, air wasn't able to circulate over the joist end to dry it. It was a lot of work to fix something caused by such a trivial thing. I imagine lots of old houses with solid brick walls and old plaster could suffer from the same problem, and you probably would be unaware until the floor sinks.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #35 on: 13 October, 2022, 09:23:13 pm »
Some fifty-odd years ago my dad sent brother and I under t'floor to Cuprinol the underfloor timber. The two of us thought it quite the lark, and neither has suffered from woodworm since.