Author Topic: Lifts to Audax event starts  (Read 4840 times)

Re: Lifts to Audax event starts
« Reply #25 on: 11 October, 2010, 01:15:03 pm »
Personally speaking, I'd often be quite happy with a one-way lift. Getting a train is a hell of a lot more difficult at 6am than 6pm!

The whole issue of waiting around is probably the biggest barrier - I'd be happy with an hour or so but it can be difficult to estimate your finish time on a new route.

Would one-way lifts be something to pursue? I'm just conscious that whilst it's all a good idea, it might in practise be an extra thing for already stretched organisers to think about or just not practical in the real-world situation.
No need for the organiser to be involved - this should be something arranged between the riders.

« Reply #26 on: 11 October, 2010, 01:29:37 pm »
I guess the problem though is what about the return journey - even on a 200km ride the quickest person will be round in 7 hours, the slowest maybe 12 hours+, so what if you are the quicker rider having to wait 5 hours for someone else to get back, or vice versa etc?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #27 on: 11 October, 2010, 01:29:42 pm »
The whole issue of waiting around is probably the biggest barrier...

When my Galaxy was on the road, I'd drive out to Chepstow and Swiss Hat would drive us home. This worked out well for me as I'd get chauffered home as soon as I'd signed in knowing that my driver had had several hours rest!

« Reply #28 on: 11 October, 2010, 06:06:08 pm »
I've had a question posed to me

"Is there a way of offering / swapping lifts for fellow riders to get to rides?  This could include pickups on-route. Perhaps each ride entry could have a pick ups section whereas the ride gets closer people could sign up to the ride and state their origin (start of journey) and how many seats and bike places offered."

I think this forum is the best we have at the moment, but what ideas have YACFers got for something useful on these lines?  What about a wiki-type page from each Calendar event where riders can post their ride reports and potential riders can raise queries and to make offers of or appeals for lifts.

IIRC, there was somewhere on the AUK website that was specificly to facilitate this.

Another one of those 'good, simple, AUK ideas' that withered on the vine.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #29 on: 11 October, 2010, 06:17:01 pm »
I guess the problem though is what about the return journey - even on a 200km ride the quickest person will be round in 7 hours, the slowest maybe 12 hours+, so what if you are the quicker rider having to wait 5 hours for someone else to get back, or vice versa etc?
if that is a problem for either rider then don't agree to car share.