Author Topic: Travelodge check in policy?  (Read 7925 times)

Re: Travelodge check in policy?
« Reply #25 on: 03 July, 2018, 10:44:58 am »
Premier Inn lets you pay less if you don't want cooked breakfast (vegetarian ahoy), Travelodge doesn't.

I'm baffled by why so many of them were built without breakfast facilities - even the crappiest Hotel F1 does a decent buffet breakfast.

Ibis Budget is similarly priced and nicer than either, although most of them are in city centres so don't intersect much with audax routes.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 03 July, 2018, 12:50:56 pm »
Dunno. Maybe they reckoned that any catering would mean extra staff, and their whole business model is based on vv low outgoings.

(and you lose 2-3 bedrooms?)

Ask a hotelier!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #27 on: 03 July, 2018, 01:03:01 pm »
Derby pride park TL has a nice integral restaurant as well.
I pass that nearly every day, it's an example of one that used to be a different hotel and it's now bugging me that I can't remember what :-\

« Reply #28 on: 03 July, 2018, 03:44:23 pm »

FWIW I do still eat the premier inn breakfast if it's the only thing going and there's no McD's nearby but find the cooked items taste fairly 'processed' and often cold.

Mc Donalds better than Premier Inn!?
 :o
Sounds like you've had some very crap Premier Inn Breakfasts. All of mine have been good so far. or they're just not for you.

« Reply #29 on: 03 July, 2018, 03:50:19 pm »
Dunno. Maybe they reckoned that any catering would mean extra staff, and their whole business model is based on vv low outgoings.

That's what I reckon. Providing breakfast presumably mean hygiene certificates etc as well=more overheads, whereas breakfast boxes are just a delivery service.
Premier Inns have a pub/restaurant chain attached, so the hotel doesn't do catering, the pub/restaurant does. Travelodges have Little Chefs ( :sick:) or petrol garages, usually. Those estates with services or hotel/restaurant etc chains are all grouped together.

Even Redwings (former Travelodges that were shut down years ago and haven't been refurnished, so are somewhat shabby but are a bit cheaper) do F1 style breakfasts.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 03 July, 2018, 04:24:31 pm »

I reckon McD's is more consistent than Premier Inn - I've had some very acceptable breakfasts in Premier Inns and some pretty awful ones. McDonald's seems to be pretty much exactly the same every time.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #31 on: 03 July, 2018, 04:55:24 pm »
McDonald's seems to be pretty much exactly the same every time.

True, consistently awful.

« Reply #32 on: 03 July, 2018, 05:17:15 pm »

That's what I reckon. Providing breakfast presumably mean hygiene certificates etc as well=more overheads, whereas breakfast boxes are just a delivery service.

More staff required for short shifts at irregular hours (5am to 11am for example) is the biggest hindrance. It works for places that do lunch/evening food as you can staff breakfast time with split shifts and get them to do the prep work for the later sittings.

Most TL will survive with one front of house staff on shift 24h and one or two room cleaning staff (who can generally work a reasonable shift cleaning rooms from the earliest checkout onwards). They'll be a handy(wo)man on call for anything that needs fixing.

TL's really are run as stripped back as possible, there's good money in it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #33 on: 03 July, 2018, 05:19:20 pm »
McDonald's seems to be pretty much exactly the same every time.

True, consistently awful.

Consistent yes. But only some items on the menu are consistently awful.

The (non-mechnically recovered) chicken tends to be ok, e.g. the chicken strips. I personally steer clear of most forms of burgers from McDs or BK.

Cheap homogeneous food definitely has its place in society (I just wish they'd remove some of the most unhealthy items from their menu).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #34 on: 03 July, 2018, 05:26:27 pm »
Have to admit I'm partial to a Bacon & Egg McMuffin, even if the bacon they use isn't the highest quality. And McDonald's coffee is surprisingly acceptable - not great, but if I stop for a coffee at a motorway services, I'll choose McDonald's over Starbucks or Costa.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #35 on: 03 July, 2018, 05:45:05 pm »
but if I stop for a coffee at a motorway services, I'll choose McDonald's over Starbucks or Costa.

Discerning...  ;D

« Reply #36 on: 03 July, 2018, 05:55:12 pm »
Have to admit I'm partial to a Bacon & Egg McMuffin, even if the bacon they use isn't the highest quality. And McDonald's coffee is surprisingly acceptable - not great, but if I stop for a coffee at a motorway services, I'll choose McDonald's over Starbucks or Costa.

I once sat and ate 3 egg & cheese muffins, sheer bliss!

citoyen

« Reply #37 on: 03 July, 2018, 05:58:06 pm »
but if I stop for a coffee at a motorway services, I'll choose McDonald's over Starbucks or Costa.

Discerning...  ;D

Oh yes, only the best for me.

« Reply #38 on: 03 July, 2018, 05:59:55 pm »

Discerning...  ;D

Oh yes, only the best for me.

Oh, it's a fair choice I think - better than Starbucks, cheaper than Costa.

Phil W

« Reply #39 on: 03 July, 2018, 07:18:11 pm »
McFlurry is nice as well a d good to have in the current heat.

« Reply #40 on: 04 July, 2018, 08:45:54 am »

... also absolutely refused to let me bring my bike in, and I claimed a refund under the 'good night guarantee' that applies if you don't get a good night's sleep, because I obviously hadn't been able to sleep for worrying about it.  :demon:

Was your claim successful?

rob

« Reply #41 on: 04 July, 2018, 09:07:24 am »

Costa massively mark up their coffee at motorways stops.   £2.60 for a double espresso takes the piss.

McDonalds seem to hold their prices along with the High Street.

Back to the OP.   I've used Travelodges with the bike numerous times and not had a problem.

I used 2 Premier Inns on last weekend's 1000 and both were excellent.   I was away before they served breakfast, but have always found the food reasonable.   One of them had air con which was just what I needed to get my core temperature back down.

Ben T

« Reply #42 on: 04 July, 2018, 10:50:51 am »

FWIW I do still eat the premier inn breakfast if it's the only thing going and there's no McD's nearby but find the cooked items taste fairly 'processed' and often cold.

:o
Sounds like you've had some very crap Premier Inn Breakfasts. All of mine have been good so far. or they're just not for you.

:) I don't think they're intrinsically bad food but I think it's that I'm a stickler for temperature, I like my food piping hot, can't stand tepid stuff. May have just got fed up of them.
In McDs if you get tepid chips I can just give them back and ask nicely for hot ones and I have never known them not oblige.

Ben T

« Reply #43 on: 04 July, 2018, 11:23:00 am »

... also absolutely refused to let me bring my bike in, and I claimed a refund under the 'good night guarantee' that applies if you don't get a good night's sleep, because I obviously hadn't been able to sleep for worrying about it.  :demon:

Yes, albeit they said ok this time but please speak to us first 'to give us the opportunity to put it right' in future - presumably so they can solve the problem that's preventing you sleeping and avoid paying but in this case they'd already refused to do what I wanted them to do. The condition on which a refund is available, that you didn't get a good night's sleep, is ridiculous as it's impossible to prove either way and thus to contradict, so I took it to mean 'unsatisfied' rather than 'couldn't sleep'. I'm a good customer so I'm not going to lose any (more) sleep over it. :)

« Reply #44 on: 04 July, 2018, 03:58:14 pm »

Yes, albeit they said ok this time but please speak to us first 'to give us the opportunity to put it right' in future - presumably so they can solve the problem that's preventing you sleeping and avoid paying but in this case they'd already refused to do what I wanted them to do. The condition on which a refund is available, that you didn't get a good night's sleep, is ridiculous as it's impossible to prove either way and thus to contradict, so I took it to mean 'unsatisfied' rather than 'couldn't sleep'. I'm a good customer so I'm not going to lose any (more) sleep over it. :)

It has crossed my mind that I could try for a refund on very Premier Inn I've stayed in because of their good night sleep policy, on account of having sleep apnoea.

Ben T

« Reply #45 on: 04 July, 2018, 04:05:25 pm »
To be honest, they don't say WHY you have to have not had a good night's sleep, so give it a go  :thumbsup:

I may also have not had a good night's sleep after having slept well, but for only four hours, after intentionally getting up at 4am to finish the 600  :P

« Reply #46 on: 30 July, 2018, 05:05:17 pm »
I have not read this thread in detail, but there have been similar ones in the past.
I would not use a Travel Lodge ever again, see below from 2015. Please be aware what their Overbook and Relocate Policy can mean to you & your ride. We were reasonably well compensated, but it no way made up for our disappointment to DNF the ride. A client of mine was a manger at a Premier Inn & you really do not have to give a reason for not being able to sleep, or at least didn't have to a few years ago & I am not aware that they have a similar policy.

"I'm almost certain that Peter & Amanda turned up at a travelodge in the North West somewhere on the Border Raid 600 2011 in the pouring rain, their PBP qualifier, and were told no room at the Inn and advised to go elsewhere. They DNF.

(My wedding night at Newcastle Airport Premier Inn turned out to be a taxi ride and a night in Cramlington. Overselling is industry wide)"

Thanks BOAB, it was Edinburgh-Preston-Edinburgh.

Travelodge breached a contract we had with them by overbooking and reselling our room.

We booked for a brief stop at a Travelodge on the M6 during the 600km ride. We booked on-line then telephoned to say we would be arriving by bicycle ~ 2am and asking if we could we leave a bag-drop for us to collect on the night. They were happy with this plan of ours and never mentioned their overbook & re-locate policy. We then confirmed conversation with an email, which they responded to, still not mentioning the policy. A week or so later we called in to leave the overnight bag. This had a large label on it saying it would be collected ~ 2am on the night in question. They were happy to accept the bag and hold it for us, again, no mention of the possibility that we could be moved to another hotel.

On the night in question (exceptionally cold, wet & windy) we arrived as planned to be told that we head been relocated to another hotel ‘not far’ up the motorway (30 miles.) Obviously this was out of the question for us, even though they did offer a taxi to take us there, which would not arrive for over 1/2 hour. Loading the tandem, making the journey etc would have taken too long, resulting in no time sleep and leaving us off course or facing anther taxi ride. So we left and slept in the adjacent service station. The anger, frustration, lack of sleep and poor weather all contributed to our DNF & we were not the only ones on the train in the morning.

We put in a formal complaint and Travelodge did recognise that they had breached the specific contract that they had with us, outwith their normal terms & conditions, and gave us a full refund, plus the costs of our accommodation the previous night for the start of the event, plus compensation. However, I feel they got off lightly given the profits they make from this policy.

Such a policy may not make much difference to motorists, but makes a huge difference to cyclists, especially on a PBP qualifying 600km ride. If I were to book into a Travelodge again I would make it clear that I would be cycling, specify an arrival time and confirm it all in writing stating that the overbook and relocate policy would not apply. Then I would cross my fingers!

Premier Inns have never let us down and I am not aware that they have a similar policy."

citoyen

« Reply #47 on: 30 July, 2018, 06:41:25 pm »
Premier Inns have never let us down and I am not aware that they have a similar policy."[/i][/i][/i][/color]

Even if they do, it's easy to avoid falling foul of it by checking in online ahead of your arrival - which you can do up to 48hrs in advance.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #48 on: 30 July, 2018, 06:52:04 pm »
You do have to pay for breakfast at a PI but that is always in a proper restaurant and has an 'all you can eat' option.

The PI I stayed at in Wrexham had the All-You-Can-Eat buffet option on the weekend ( and I did eat my own bodyweight on the Saturday morning before the 24 ).
But on the Monday morning before heading home, it was not a buffet, it was a tell-us-what-you-want-and-we'll-bring-it-over.

Or perhaps that was just for me :-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #49 on: 30 July, 2018, 07:01:34 pm »
I think the cooked breakfast at a PI does need to be ordered but I don't know if you can order seconds (or order LOTS OF EVERYTHING first time around).

The 'Continental' items are on an 'all you can eat' buffet.