Author Topic: Tips on winter commuting/riding in the dark  (Read 10231 times)

Re: Tips on winter commuting/riding in the dark
« Reply #50 on: 01 December, 2021, 11:09:49 am »
I carry reusable poly grip gloves for mechanicals.  Turn them inside out when putting back in my tool bag. Turn right way out again when using. Found the latex ones ripped far too often.

https://www.hazchemsafety.com/product/polygrip-general-purpose-gloves/

Or just seen these even cheaper

https://safefence.co.uk/flexible-grip-glove.html?msclkid=76f36c32cc5217a6c2090d959478e6ad

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 01 December, 2021, 12:09:09 pm »
Pedal reflectors are good, and legally required, but they restrict you to expensive hybrid pedals (M324, which are shite, or T8000, which are a fortune) or clunky adaptors that tske one side of your double-sided SPDs out of use.

There's the spirit-of-the-law approach of sticking some Scotchlite tape on the cranks.  Or having reflective bits on your shoes / lower leg.

« Reply #52 on: 01 December, 2021, 02:09:53 pm »
I think most points are covered but this is the internet so here goes.

Dynamo,  Fit and forget.  I have SP dynamo with a a front and back light.  No faff, comes on when I push bike out of garage and stays on till I get to work. I augment with 2 battery powered lights.  I have 2 fibre flares powered by AAA batteries at the back.  I dislike USB rechargeable due to small battery life.  The AAA last about 4 months and fade gradually.

At the front I have a whopping big flood for shining at oncoming cars or for bad bits of road.  There is a remote switch on the handlebar under my index finger for a flash or full on.

I do not know on my 30km commute where the ice will be so I have studded tyres throughout the winter for safety.  I think they add a bit of time and slow me slightly but I prefer the safety aspect. Fast carbon bikes are for summer.

Single speed rather than fixed unless you are very used to fixed.  Tired wet and cold are not times to forget to keep your legs moving on fixed!!!!  But the advantages of no derailleurs are obvious

Clothing. I have winter boots and merino socks.  Spare pair of socks if likely to be wet or sometimes sealskins if really wet.  Winter boots are the best.  designed to be a bit larger and able to take lots of sock.

I have a pair of cheap silk glove liners which are amazing in terms of added warmth and weigh nothing.

Gearing.  Look at gearing which lets you do the majority of the ride in zone 1/2.  Winter commuting is not good racing weather.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:53:43 pm »
I wouldn't bother with dynamos, unless you have one already or you love spending your free time doing electronics and soldering stuff.  They are really faffy and people spend ages talking about them and messing around with them.  No idea why - battery lights have improved so much in a generation so there isn't really any benefit.  Cheap spare lights from eBay cost a couple of pounds and weigh nothing - if you take a set then you don't even need to stress about charging your main light batteries.  Or you could just remember. But two lights at each end is a good idea for winter riding anyway.

We have very different experiences of dynamo lights. Mine (Edelux II, B&M Secula, Shimano DH-T8000) has been a fit and forget setup. Only time I've had to do anything with it was when I forgot to unplug it when removing the wheel in Finland, it took me a couple of mins in the hotel that evening to put it back together. That's in something like 20000+km of use.

I use reflective tape for bikes that go out in the dark a lot.

I have a lot of reflective tape on my bike, a long with 3 rear lights with built in reflectors. But I only fitted the tape because it was a requirement for events I do.

I do have pedal reflectors, I have M324 pedals, and the reflectors have been great. My experience of stealth cyclists in .NL, is that often the pedal reflector is the most visible part of an unlight cyclist.

Marathon Plus or Durano Plus tyres.

Be careful of Marathon Pluses in winter. They area bitch to fit at the best of times, in the cold, with cold hands, they take on a whole new level of pain in the arse. I have a VAR Bead jack in my toolbag, for such things, tho I haven't riden with Marathon's on the big bike (other than the studded tyres), for a few years.

There is a middle ground below full studs, which is the Continental Top Contact II Winter, these are reasonable on ice, not quite as good as full studs, but a good middle ground.

You have to get bike out anyway.  It’s a quick check whilst putting bike out, both how it feels and what the thermometer is saying.  No faff at all.

Yes, but you then get straight on it. If you have to take it out of the secure storage location, it then needs to be secured somehow while you do what ever it is you're doing. That feels like faff.

Just get an outdoor thermometer, it's simpler. And less risk of it being stolen.

I just use the thermometer at Schiphol, it's close enough to be close enough a temp, and maintenance free.

If you're going to leave your bike locked up outside, get battery lights rather than a dynamo so you can remove them and lessen the value of stealable bike.

Or look at pitlocks. I have Pitlock nut things on my Edelux II, not that I ever actually lock the bike up anywhere. I take it into the office at work, and store it in the server room. Pitlocks won't stop someone angle grinding the bracket off to steel the light, but chances are if they are that equipped, they are going to take your whole bike. I have matching pitlocks for the two wheels and the light. The nut thingy to undo them lives on my keys.

Bags: let the bike carry the weight, obvs.  Don't get anything that takes ages to attach to the bike - you want everything to be simple, remember.

Agreed.

Also, some people are fine with operating brakes and gears with gloves twice the size of their hands, but others aren't. No point having warm hands if it means crashing.

I have Buffalo mitts (as mentioned in the glove thread), I can operate gears with them just fine. Ditto brakes. They are great, I really recommend them for cold weather.

Pogies are excellent on flat bars. I wouldn't say it has to be really cold to use them, just cold. Never used them on dropped bars.

Pogies are indeed excellent, and you can get them for drop bars as well as flat bars. The only reason I don't use them is I use multiple hand positions, including the aerobars, so I need to use gloves instead. Hence Buffalo mitts.

Pedal reflectors are good, and legally required, but they restrict you to expensive hybrid pedals (M324, which are shite, or T8000, which are a fortune) or clunky adaptors that tske one side of your double-sided SPDs out of use.

We have different experience. My M324's have been great, 20000+km and still going strong. The additional reflectors aren't great, I am on my second set of them, but they cost about €8 a set, so not a major issue.

I permanently kept a few useful things in the cupboard under my desk (You know, that bit of legacy kit from the days of paper files)

A paid of "work shoes" as I only wore them in the office they didn't need rotation, much care or cleaning.
An emergency pair of pants and a polo shirt, for those times I forgot to pack one in the pannier.

This is an excellent idea.

My common mistake is cycling to work in civvies, wearing a skirt and tights, with my cycle gear in the bag on the back, ready for an afterwork training ride, only to realise I forgot to include a pair of socks. Just shoes is fine in warmer months, but not fun in the winter.

Check where the radiators are in the office, you're gonna want to put your gloves and maybe socks somewhere to dry if it rained on the way in. Do not do what I did at my first job aged about 17, cycle in in the rain, think "I'll just dry my gloves out" and put the wet gloves on the top of your nice warm CRT Monitor. BANG! oops... Being in IT I tend to stick my gloves near the back of the rack in the server room to dry out.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:00:25 pm »
I do have pedal reflectors, I have M324 pedals, and the reflectors have been great. My experience of stealth cyclists in .NL, is that often the pedal reflector is the most visible part of an unlight cyclist.

Agreed.  Though the corollary to that is that I rarely notice the pedal reflectors on properly lit cyclists, from which I conclude they're only really important if you're a bike ninja.

Altura Night Vision tights can be spectacular, though.

« Reply #55 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:38:21 pm »

Yes, but you then get straight on it. If you have to take it out of the secure storage location, it then needs to be secured somehow while you do what ever it is you're doing. That feels like faff.
Depends on where you live , not a faff for me and chance of it being stolen from back garden whilst I have some tea near zero. It’s the most efficient use of my time before departing.
Just get an outdoor thermometer, it's simpler. And less risk of it being stolen.

I already have for past 18 years, see post upthread.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:43:44 pm »
Also, some people are fine with operating brakes and gears with gloves twice the size of their hands, but others aren't. No point having warm hands if it means crashing.

I have Buffalo mitts (as mentioned in the glove thread), I can operate gears with them just fine. Ditto brakes. They are great, I really recommend them for cold weather.

Pogies are excellent on flat bars. I wouldn't say it has to be really cold to use them, just cold. Never used them on dropped bars.

Pogies are indeed excellent, and you can get them for drop bars as well as flat bars. The only reason I don't use them is I use multiple hand positions, including the aerobars, so I need to use gloves instead. Hence Buffalo mitts.
After you'd raved about the Buffalo mitts, and because I've never found a pair of gloves I've been entirely satisfied with, especially for cycling (it was probably slightly easier back in my motorcycling days, in part because bulk didn't matter so much), I bought myself a pair. In an uncharacteristic outburst of forward planning, I got them in the summer, at a discount. I haven't yet worn them for serious but they certainly feel both warm and comfy when I tried them on. But the Buffalo mitts are not what I'd call bulky gloves, nor do they have floppy fingers (from the fingers being slightly too long, but the next size down being too tight), so it seems they will avoid the control problems.

We have different experience. My M324's have been great, 20000+km and still going strong. The additional reflectors aren't great, I am on my second set of them, but they cost about €8 a set, so not a major issue.
I've also been pleased with M324s, which are many years old now, but paying for reflectors? I've got a whole pile of them from when a shop was trying to be nice to me! The shop has since gone bust, which isn't a big shame cos it was mostly crap.*

*I once went in to get a 38-622 tube for my hybrid. They didn't have any. Told me "Most of our customers are roadies, who want narrower tubes, but we'll be getting some in on Thursday probably." This was Monday morning and why do you think I wanted it right then...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #57 on: 01 December, 2021, 09:24:22 pm »
We have very different experiences of dynamo lights.

I have no experience of dynamo lights, not in the last 40-odd years, at least!

I've just seen loads of posts about people spending ages faffing around with them. Maybe that is not representative and most people find them to be fit and forget.

However I still wouldn't recommend them for someone starting out as they are an expensive item with a lead time and could act as a barrier to entry. And, while there are situations for which I would get one, I really can't see that they have any advantage for the type of journey the OP is contemplating. I don't think there is a disadvantage to them either, other than the barrier to entry, but I think there is a lot of confirmation bias going on with them.

« Reply #58 on: 01 December, 2021, 09:34:52 pm »
You've just seen the posts by people who like faffing, or are shit at making dynos work.

The rest of us don't need to post.

;)

« Reply #59 on: 01 December, 2021, 09:49:34 pm »

I've just seen loads of posts about people spending ages faffing around with them. Maybe that is not representative and most people find them to be for and forget.

However I still wouldn't recommend them for someone starting out as they are an expensive item with a lead time and could act as a barrier to entry. And, while there are situations for which I would get one, I really can't see that they have any advantage for the type of journey the OP is contemplating. I don't think there is a disadvantage to them either, other than the barrier to entry, but I think there is a lot of confirmation bias going on with them.

Rechargeable batteries and LED lights have gotten awfully good in the last 10 years, and seem to keep getting better. A rechargeable battery headlight and taillight, and an Anker power bank for those days when you forgot to put the lights on the charger overnight, are a very cost effective setup for someone just getting into the commuter game. Having said that, I really enjoy jumping on the dynamo equipped bike and knowing that the lights will be on as soon as I start pedaling. No faff involved once the system is installed, and overall a lot less faff than messing around with charging cables or replacing batteries. One of my bikes is a tourer with SON dynamo, Schmidt Edelux headlight and B&M taillight, with a cheap flashing taillight to add a little visibility. The other is a road racer with battery lights. Every time I ride the road bike I'm reminded of what a good investment the dynamo setup on the other bike is.

I used studded tires for years when I lived in the mountains and dealt with snow on a regular basis. When I moved to lower elevations and snow became a more occasional thing, driving or taking the bus on the relatively rare snow days became a more sensible option. I quickly realized that too many drivers around me did not have the skills, equipment or experience to drive safely in snow, and I felt much more vulnerable than I liked.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #60 on: 02 December, 2021, 12:22:19 am »

I've just seen loads of posts about people spending ages faffing around with them. Maybe that is not representative and most people find them to be for and forget.

Yeah, you're only seeing the bad experiences, and zero of the good. That is *REALLY* unrepresentative. If certain others round here were to make such a judgement you'd tear them a new one.

They are not cheap. Agreed. But in the long run, they do work out very cost effective. See Mr Vimes for how the maths works.

I probably spent more in crap lights in the 20 years before I got my Dynamo setup, than I have on my dynamo setup. But it is quite a lump to start off with. That said, if you're going to be doing over 25km, each way to work 5 days a week, then the 10+ hours of dark cycling, the dynamo investment is probably worth it.

I do however note that noone is rushing to recommend a starter battery light for someone to commute on country lanes with. I used to use a hope Vision 1, and still have it, but haven't used it in years. It was ok on Kent country lanes, apart from on downhills. I then added a LED Lenser P72 to give the extra oomph I needed for going down hill at 60kph in the dark. But it's a very obnoxious setup. Going round a corner and finding a highways works van covered in reflectives, you get all that light straight back at ya. Which hurts. DAMHIKT.

These days, my Brompton has a cateye front light, it's the backup I got that's stvzo rated for race purposes. I got a Reelight Nova to fit on the front of the Brompton, but the cable that comes with it is too short, and I am not willing to pay €10 postage on a €4 longer cable. So until I find a way to get the cable, it's just sat there doing nothing. I'm fed up with my battery light going flat on me when I've forgotten to charge it.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #61 on: 02 December, 2021, 12:24:27 am »
Rechargeable batteries and LED lights have gotten awfully good in the last 10 years, and seem to keep getting better. A rechargeable battery headlight and taillight, and an Anker power bank for those days when you forgot to put the lights on the charger overnight, are a very cost effective setup for someone just getting into the commuter game. Having said that, I really enjoy jumping on the dynamo equipped bike and knowing that the lights will be on as soon as I start pedaling. No faff involved once the system is installed, and overall a lot less faff than messing around with charging cables or replacing batteries. One of my bikes is a tourer with SON dynamo, Schmidt Edelux headlight and B&M taillight, with a cheap flashing taillight to add a little visibility. The other is a road racer with battery lights. Every time I ride the road bike I'm reminded of what a good investment the dynamo setup on the other bike is.

Can you recommend a battery LED front light that someone can go buy today for riding on country lanes in the dark?

J
--

« Reply #62 on: 02 December, 2021, 02:35:04 am »
Bontrager and Cygolite both make a range of excellent headlights with different output levels at different prices. The output on all of them is adjustable, so you can turn the intensity down to save power, or turn it up for fast downhills, etc. My Bontrager Ion Comp R (700 lumens) works about as well as my Schmidt Edelux II on unlit cycle paths for just over an hour; if I want longer battery life I have to turn down the intensity. The Bontrager Ion Elite R puts out 1000 lumens and is allegedly visible at 2 km in daylight. I don't know what the availability of those two lights is like outside the US. Note what I said about the light working well for about an hour. That's enough to get me home after work, but someone trying to do longer rides would be better off just getting a good hub dynamo setup.

« Reply #63 on: 02 December, 2021, 06:29:23 am »

I do however note that noone is rushing to recommend a starter battery light for someone to commute on country lanes with.

There are so many options and I thought some people did mention some upthread.

I would only recommend what I have used.  I use these:

Front

1. Cheap AliExpress USB CRee  XML (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32614646189.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.43594c4dnGQd0y)
Modified with fresnel lens to shape the beam and powered from a power bank in a stem bag.
This is my best light. 

2. B+M ixon iq premium

3. Fenix BC25R

4. Cheap eBay front light, as back-up. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334218737349?hash=item4dd0fd36c5:g:xLIAAOSw3MVhkQrW
Despite the price (£1.95 delivered) and some obvious limitations in the mount, it is a good light with a shaped beam.

Back

1. B+M Secula - chainstay mounted

2. B+M Toplight - on commuting bike with rack

3. Cateyes that I have had for years, not made any more.

4. Cheap eBay rear light, as back-up, similar to this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275000175893?hash=item400749ad15:g:yEQAAOSwgFdhdnIo

I used to use a Hope Vision 1.  Actually I had two (as you never knew when the battery was going to cut out).   They were really common on audax about 12 years ago which was why I got them, and were much better than what I used before. 

I've done side-by-side tests and all of the lights I use now - including the cheap eBay one - are better than the Hope on low power, which was how I mainly used to use it (to conserve battery life).   

Dynamos have certainly come on since I used them in the 70s and 80s.  I do wonder if people who have used dynamo lighting for a few years realise how much better battery lights are now.

« Reply #64 on: 02 December, 2021, 06:36:37 am »

Dynamos have certainly come on since I used them in the 70s and 80s.  I do wonder if people who have used dynamo lighting for a few years realise how much better battery lights are now.

The same could be said about battery light users knowledge of dyno lights.  The B&M Cyo (and then IQ) are game changers.

As a user of the best kit that both approaches offer I feel in a uniquely informed position  :P

« Reply #65 on: 02 December, 2021, 09:51:01 am »

I do however note that noone is rushing to recommend a starter battery light for someone to commute on country lanes with.

There are so many options and I thought some people did mention some upthread.

I would only recommend what I have used.  I use these:

Front

1. Cheap AliExpress USB CRee  XML (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32614646189.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.43594c4dnGQd0y)
Modified with fresnel lens to shape the beam and powered from a power bank in a stem bag.
This is my best light. 

What is the battery life like on that one, with what size power bank?
Comments on the light say 0.7A draw on low setting.
So I'd need something like a 2000mAh pack for it to last over two hours.

I was using a cateye USB light when I commuted in cambridge, but I only needed the light to last an hour at full beam.

Out here, even going to the shops is nearly an hour each way, so it barely lasts. No good for longer rides.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #66 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:11:50 am »
Has the battery life of lights significantly improved?  I seem to remember needing to charge my front light every 2nd or 3rd day commuting 15-20 years ago.  Dynamo is so much less faff. Fit and forget as many have said.  My commute is country lanes and any light can’t be on some super low battery setting that illuminates nothing more than brake cables.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #67 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:15:07 am »
This is my best light. 

At that price it would be rude not to... *clicky*

« Reply #68 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:22:52 am »

This is my best light. 

What is the battery life like on that one, with what size power bank?
Comments on the light say 0.7A draw on low setting.
So I'd need something like a 2000mAh pack for it to last over two hours.

I was using a cateye USB light when I commuted in cambridge, but I only needed the light to last an hour at full beam.

Out here, even going to the shops is nearly an hour each way, so it barely lasts. No good for longer rides.

It worked well as my main light on the Transcontinental in 2019. 

In actual usage I get about seven hours' light from a 10Ah power bank with it mostly on low power, flicked onto high for descending.

« Reply #69 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:24:44 am »

The fresnel lens is more expensive than the light, but it is worth it for road use:
https://www.candb-seen.co.uk/product-39mm-diffused-lens.html

« Reply #70 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:37:55 am »
This is my best light. 

Have you actually tried to buy from that site?
I cannot get it to work on a Mac or a Windoze machine in any browser???

« Reply #71 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:43:06 am »

Yes, I bought a couple more as spares a few months ago.  It seems to work OK now- I have just added one to my basket.
Have you selected the colour?  I have gone wrong with that on A-E before.

« Reply #72 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:58:41 am »

Yes, I bought a couple more as spares a few months ago.  It seems to work OK now- I have just added one to my basket.
Couldn't see anywhere obvious to select the colour........
I will try again.

« Reply #73 on: 02 December, 2021, 11:07:47 am »

I will try again.
Click on the pictures.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #74 on: 02 December, 2021, 11:13:03 am »

I will try again.
Click on the pictures.
Sorted.