Author Topic: Imac 2008 dying.  (Read 1186 times)

Imac 2008 dying.
« on: 21 January, 2022, 01:26:35 pm »
My home desktop is a late 2008 iMac with a 3rd party SSD running El Capitan.
Yesterday it froze, then began to reboot constantly.  Notes refer to a kernel panic.

I’ve tried resetting PRAM & SMC. Neither had any effect.
Rebooting while holding R should put me into recovery mode, but doesn’t work.
Rebooting holding the Alt key gives the option of booting from the SSD, the recovery drive or Time Machine .
Neither Recovery drive or Time Machine seem to do anything.

I was able to start in Safe mode, this was very slow & kept redrawing the screen.  I was able to get Disk Utility in First Aid mode to Repair the SSD, but it’s had no effect. I was also able to use Migration Assistant to restore from Time Machine, but the only version offered was after the problem started. I did this & it remained stable during the process, but when it finished just began to reboot again.

What other steps does the panel suggest? I have the original Snow Leopard disk here.  Can I boot from that & then try restoring from Time Machine again?

It’s tempting to just order a new one, but I wanted to hang on until the rumoured bigger screen is launched.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Imac 2008 dying.
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2022, 01:55:17 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2022, 02:07:20 pm »
What Jaded says, it does sound like a hardware fault.

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2022, 02:19:17 pm »

I booted into Safe mode shift key held down & it prompted me for login details , I now seem to have a fully working system again, not the stripped down version I was led to expect.

Everything has been stable for approx 30 minutes. I'm quite reluctant to do another restart now .....

I tried booting up whilst holding D down for diagnostic mode earlier and nothing happened. 

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2022, 04:00:42 pm »
It died again earlier.    Seemed to be a bit warm, so I unclogged the vents at the bottom.   Booted up again OK & installed Mac Fan Controller & manually set the fans to max to test they are still working.   That was 30 minutes ago. 

« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2022, 04:03:02 pm »
Apple has a console application that allows you to view the system log, that might have messages to indicate what is failing: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/console/welcome/mac

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2022, 01:53:52 pm »

It's now running for approx 30 mins + then reboots.   I ran Apple Hardware Test using the original install disk from 2008 & it gives error code 4MOT/1/40000003:hdd-144 .    I think this is a Fan problem,  they are not running unless I manually turn them on using the fan utility.    I reattached the temperature sensor when I installed the SSD several years ago.   Might see if I can take the front off & give it a bit of an internal clean.     

It's not worth spending money on but I'd rather not replace it until I see what's available at the next launch event. 

If anyone is looking for a new IMac then Costco seen the cheapest place at the moment.  About £150 cheaper than Apple for most builds and with a better choice than John Lewis, who don't offer models with more than 8G of memory. 

« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2022, 07:58:05 pm »
Ah well.  It staggered on until Sunday evening, but now appears totally borked.  It tries to boot but just keeps recycling. 14 years service isn’t bad I suppose.

Shiny new PURPLE iMac on order & it looks like I’ll be restoring from my backup drive. Which of course needs a USB A to USB C adaptor. As will all my other bits & bobs.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:01:46 pm »
I hadn't realised they were doing them in purple again.  Took them long enough...

« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:10:56 pm »
It’s a nice deep purple on the back, which will be against the wall, the bit facing you & the keyboard are pale lilac.  I’d have preferred plain silver but Costco didn’t have that in stock.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:16:43 pm »
*googles*

That's not the good kind of purple :(  I was hoping for a reprise of the original CRT iMac that looked like a steam iron's purple.

« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:27:28 pm »
I had the choice of yellow, orange or purple from Costco with a quoted 2 day delivery, or go direct to Apple & pay full price (£150 extra).   If you check the John Lewis site they are selling the Pink one at a discount.

I have pink shirts, pink trousers & even a pink duvet cover, but a chap has to draw the line somewhere.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:30:42 pm »
Followers of Big Clive know that when it comes to electrical items, the pink ones are the most deadly.

(I recall paying about 40% of the RRP for a flatbed scanner in not-quite-iMac-green when I was a PSO.  The other colours were full price.)

« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:36:54 pm »
I bought a magenta (pink) ME ultra fleece around 1984. I seem to remember it was £16 when the going rate for the other colours was £32. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:38:07 pm »
Magenta != pink ~ Tim Hall, yesterday  ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Re: Imac 2008 dying. Now Shiny Purple
« Reply #15 on: 27 January, 2022, 10:07:28 pm »
A large box was delivered just after 12 today, containing a Shiny Purple iMac and its assorted bits.  No receipt or delivery note, no install disks nuffin!   

Connected it all up,  plugged in my Time Machine backup using a USB-C adaptor & copied everything across. 

Good news:  All hardware seems to work, external drives, trackpad, SD card reader, printer & Apple DVD SuperDuperdrive (has to be connected directly, not via a hub)

I had to install up to date versions of few things such as Garmin Basecamp & VLC.  The Retroactive hack worked to bring Aperture back to life, though it had lost my library(now found).

Bad news.  A lot of my saved passwords are missing from Safari.  Unless I can work out where they are I'm going to have a bit of resetting to do.   

I had Rosetta Stone language software installed which is 32 bit so now no longer works.  I shall have to see if there are any workarounds. 

Fonts seem rather small .

I've let it go to "sleep", come back & the keyboard & trackpad have been unresponsive  ???

The purple isn't too offensive.  I actually wish they'd kept the metallic purple from the back on the "chin" instead of the faded lilac they've used.

« Reply #16 on: 28 January, 2022, 08:31:57 am »
Passwords may be on icloud but i found that when I upgraded I still needed to reinstall a lot of passwords.