Author Topic: What front mudguard?  (Read 1588 times)

What front mudguard?
« on: 05 September, 2008, 09:03:53 pm »
For this:

As you can see I have a guard on the back that I'd prefer to leave as it is. At the front that's a Road Rat fork, with mudguard eyelets and drilled for a brake. That's a 35 mm tyre on a A719 rim and there is plenty of room but not enough for the front half of the mudguard set. I don't want an SKS Bluemels type front mudguard, but something more rough and ready as per the back.

What say the panel?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: What front mudguard?
« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2008, 07:07:03 am »
How about a 'Crud Catcher' on the down tube?

« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2008, 08:35:01 am »
I you want a motorcross style one, I have one that found to wjich you would be welcome, although it might look a bit  too chunky on anything other than a downhill bike.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2008, 12:34:26 pm »
You could try a raceblade XL

There seems to be some disagreement whether the max size is 32 or 35, but either way a bit of judicious bending should see it sorted.

If you want to import, Planet Bike have MTB raceblade-alikes, as well as hybrid sized ones similar to the raceblade xl

« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2008, 02:57:24 pm »
Thanks all.

I guess a RaceBlade style guard would look ok on that bike at the front. The fork does have mudguard eyes though so I should use them.

Still undecided.

Thanks for the offer, Adrian, but I don't know if that would work on this fork.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2008, 03:03:38 pm »
something homemade using a fairy liquid bottle perhaps?

fuzzy

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2008, 04:02:25 pm »
When you say there is insufficient room for the front half of the set, why is that?

Is there insufficient room between the tyre and the fork?

Would a traditional mudguard with the section in front of the brake bolt bracket cut off fit?

« Reply #7 on: 08 September, 2008, 04:10:24 pm »
When you say there is insufficient room for the front half of the set, why is that?

Mudguard too wide.

A normal SKS type guard for wide tyres would probably work ok, but I was wondering if something else might do the job.

I suppose sensible people would suggest just getting a normal set of guards and dispense with the existing rear guard.

But I like that rear guard.

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 08 September, 2008, 04:13:34 pm »
seen this ?

Mud guards and close clearances

If the guard is too wide for the fork, its profile can be gently adjusted at the necessary place using a hot air stripper

Or cut the guard in half and just fit the back half, which does most of the work.