Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882998 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1175 on: 03 August, 2008, 01:59:05 pm »
A surprisingly tough training loop, 70km Crediton-Exeter-Moretonhampstead-Bow-Crediton.  Needed to get some grindy hill practice in before the Alps!  Knackered now.  :P
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1176 on: 03 August, 2008, 03:05:39 pm »
Out and around from my friend's house just south of Inverness.

Over the top of the big hill opposite their house and then around in a loop via Tomatin and Moy.

Beautiful countryside.

H

« Reply #1177 on: 03 August, 2008, 04:43:33 pm »
Loop from Rugby to Canons Ashby and lunch at the Abbey.   Met a family on a day trip form Oxford and talked cycling - seems they used to more than they do now.  :)

Missed all the rain which is now falling which is great.    :thumbsup:

Gears played up again, as usual.    >:(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1178 on: 03 August, 2008, 06:15:30 pm »
A quite mundane ride through the scruffy bits of Saarfend. I just wanted a half-hour pootle in order to free up the joints and it worked a bit, but has left me monumentally depressed about how awful lots of this town is.

The tide is high after lunch. A swimble beckons, I fear. I may be some time.

Mrs. Wow and I ventured forth on the tandem and were hollered at by the foreshore attendant for cycling where we shouldn't - on a virtually deserted promenade. There was no-one in the water when I ventured in, there being a pretty strong southerly and, by Southend's standards, quite big waves. It was warm enough and I spent about half an hour sploshing about.

We then cycled home to find Christina, Graham's girlfriend, preparing a very tasty veg. stew.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1179 on: 03 August, 2008, 07:17:27 pm »
On holiday in the Dales in a cottage in Grassington so started the 2nd week with a ride out to bag Fleet Moss.

Grassington->Buckden->Aysgarth->Hawes->Fleet Moss->Oughtershaw and back down the dale to Grassington. Just over 50 miles in rather cool and showery conditions.

I'm getting quite blase about the 15-20% on just about every climb in the area, but I hadn't spotted the alarming section of 25% on the north side of Fleet Moss  :o It took me some straining to get up that bit  :P

Neil

Martin

« Reply #1180 on: 03 August, 2008, 07:45:05 pm »
a nice few days camping in the New Forest riding almost all off road (and had to go all the way into work Sat   :() Lunch today overlooking The Needles

Tempted to put my entry for Pam's (Feb) 200 in already so keen to get back there.. very envious of the On/Offshorers but at least have had my IOW fix for this year

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1181 on: 03 August, 2008, 07:48:23 pm »
Down to Ardingly on the 'bent to Scout Camp.

"Have you a permit for that vehicle?" asked the amused and bemused young lad on gate duty.

Then back at the end of the day in the rain.  30mph max, roads a bit slippery.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #1182 on: 03 August, 2008, 07:57:49 pm »
Did the Pendle Pedal 100k of yvery hilly ride ,they have altered the route which means its very steep around Longridge fell as we as the normal stuff .Some gits doing the 160 k ride passed me about 5 miles from the end havin set off onlt 1/2 hour before us. :o

« Reply #1183 on: 03 August, 2008, 08:38:14 pm »
40 frustrating miles today. Helen and I had planned to cyle from Chorlton (cum Hardy) to Sheffield via the Fallowfield Loop and TPT. It didn't work   :(
Some muppetry with the maps (my fault) meant that we spent lots of time in the Reddish area trying to find the route and, when we eventually found it, the OS map was wrong near Woodley- it indicated that the route went straight on past the station. Unfortunately there was a huge fence in the way- some dispute over access apparently. More time lost.
Lunch at 14.00 in Hadfield and the decision was made to get to the Woodhead tunnels and then cycle back to Hadfield to get the train back to MCR.
Woodhead was duly reached but, on the way back, the fork mounted lamp bracket on my bike broke and nearly pitched the E3 into the wheel. After this was duly cable tied back on, the mounting for the front derailleur slipped so chain and cage started making contact. My attempts to fix it worked for a while but then things got worse leading to bits falling out of the retaining collar. The ride back from MCR centre to Chorlton was accomplished in the front granny ring and one of the higher gears on the back.
A pint of Ginger Marble back in Chorlton made things seem a little better.
Average speed for the day- 8.8mph.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1184 on: 03 August, 2008, 09:57:32 pm »
Not one, but three days out.

Friday night, we loaded up the tandem and set off...

Well, we would have done, if the sprockets weren't completely knackered :(

Fortunately, we take the precaution of having a spare tandem handy.  It's quite heavy, has straight bars, the front mech is indexed, so rubs in some gears, and it had no pedals or saddles on when we dug it out from under the tarp.

We swapped everything over, and set off, wobbly at first, up and over into Surrey.  It was hard work, and it was dark by the time we had completed the 23 miles to Horsley - just in time to check in before the gates were locked.

A late start, and a short trip, including a bridleway, to Ripley for brunch.  Good cafe*, interesting village, basically only there because of cycling.  More another time.

On to Pyrford, Old Woking and Woking itself.  Not very interesting, but it did have an Evans and a passable cafe** with unlikelyly good home-made cakes.  Back via Wisley, stopping to look at the tiny, but lovely, church.

Over the A3 via a footbridge - with steps :o  and a series of deteriorating lanes through a wood, destroyed by 4x4s.  A turn onto a  gated bridleway took us up onto a disused airfield, where the runway, complete with weeds growing through the gaps in the lines of tarmac, sits incongruously in the middle of a field of wheat.  Back in short time to the campsite, in time for a picnic with some friends who had come out from London for the day (looooong story ::-) ).  Twenty miles, though, of good and varied riding.  Well, it was twenty miles by the time we'd ridden twice round the campsite.

This morning, another late start, and a complete repack to take some weight out of the front panniers.  Everything packed up easily, and we set off on the three miles to Ripley again, breakfasting in the cafe* again, browsing the book of old photographs of the village.

Refreshed, we went up through Pyrford, West Byfleet (where we sheltered from the rain, laughing at the stupid proces in the estate agents).  Next, we crossed the M25, and went through Brooklands, past the magnificent banking on the right, and a Tescos on the left. Spurning the charms of the Brooklands Museum (back another day, I imagine), we climbed the only real hills of the day and down into Weybridge, where, as the rain restarted and I smelled food, and realised that it was approaching 2pm, after which pubs seem to find it impossible to serve food, I took an executive decision to stop, at, IIRC, The Crown.  Good tea, and tasty lunches, but we decided to forgo cake, and set off again. 

The riding got really fast (for us) now - up to Twickenham, where we had a very expensive tea & cakes on the green, watching cricket.

We met a couple with their baby who had just purchased a lovely Bob Jackson tandem with Alf Webb wheels, and a really fab spec (but only two chainrings :-\ ).  Hope they have many happy miles on it.

We considered calling C&L cause we were on their patch, but we thought they'd be zooming around, and not able to keep down to the speed of our loaded tractor :-[

Crossed the river into Richmond, and, after negotiating the sporadically signposted gyratory, we got moving quickly again.  On to the South Circular, which had been worrying me, but turned out to be not so bad, and very quickly we were at Wandsworth.  Crafty riding round the one ways got us on to our road and, despite flagging slightly, the thought of home, tea, and a bath cheered us immensely.

Ahhh.  Sitting down relaxing at last.  30 miles.  Not bad for a two average riders on a heavily loaded tandem, and at an average of 12or so mph.  Hands buzzing, @rses a bit uncomfortable, but we did it. :)

* Watson's, on the corner of the High Street
** Cafe Continental, opposite-ish Evans, under the railway.
Getting there...

« Reply #1185 on: 03 August, 2008, 10:05:28 pm »
Should have said- despite the "issues" a good day was had. It's cycling innit ?
And we didn't get rained on  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1186 on: 03 August, 2008, 10:08:27 pm »
Yes. A good day out riding the Bowland 200 Audax.  :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1187 on: 03 August, 2008, 11:29:45 pm »
An evening jaunt - a journey of exploration. I went out to ride up the local lump and went up and down three times. Impressively I managed to go up by three different routes, impressive as there is only one road.

Exploration? the hill has a load of footpaths. I know where the ones on the south and west are, but had a fun time picking paths at random and finding my way up off road. Wet logs do not make for great traction, and after the summer the nettles were encroaching on some of the single track. Never the less it was a grand night out, the Ay Up lights performing flawlessly and my legs feeling surprisingly un-tired after three ascents.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1188 on: 04 August, 2008, 08:53:47 am »
Yesterday...

A late afternoon blast -- 40 odd miles just inside two hours; bar one hill and a short rolling section it was mainly flat and in spite of some wind I didn't suffer much from it. It was another enjoyable exercise, in the sun.

The morning had started well with a trip to the pool with the girls, where a lot of fun was had jumping and even going down some slides. The restaurant afterwards was nice too and we all had the time to enjoy a nap; before I set sail in the evening.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1189 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:20:13 am »
Yesterday was a nice 30 mile pootle along the Thames Path to Dartford.  My departure was enhanced by bumping into (not literally) Simon & Mrs L3.

The downer on the day was the fact that a large chunk of the Thames Path was closed off for the Red Bull Air Race - so that the organisers could put up stands for paying spectators...  >:(  It annoys me when people think that it's appropriate to close off public access for commercial purposes - I bet the money won't be used to upgrade the foot or cycle paths on that stretch.

I'm afraid that by the time I reached Dartford the weather had changed for the worse, and I cheated and got the train back to Charing Cross.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1190 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:37:39 am »
It is not cheating Reg, it is adapting to the situation.....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1191 on: 05 August, 2008, 11:35:36 pm »
A very pleasant but abbreviated ride with Annie.

We met at Manningtree station intending this route, which involved two ferries and lots of deserted rurality, but after a pub lunch at The Bristol Arms (although I didn't notice any Bristols on display) we missed our first ferry by about 2 minutes. My fault - I misread the timetable.

The weather had closed in, we found another pub, we had a Council of War and decided that the best bet was to cycle to Ipswich, get the train to Stowmarket, where Annie's car was parked, and then high-tail it to her house until it was time to leave for my train home from Ipswich at eight minutes past 7. I drank some London Pride that Annie had carefully prepared ("Do you like London Pride?" she asked  :-*), had a luxurious shower, and then Annie kindly cut my hair and trimmed my beard for me. She informed me that normally when she cuts their hair, men are naked and, once the cutting is over, are introduced to the vacuum cleaner. For some reason I was excused this treatment. Shucks.

Although we reverted to Plan B, which was probably just as well given the poor weather, it was a lovely day made so by a lady who is invariably absolutely coruscating company. We'll go all the way some time. 8)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #1192 on: 06 August, 2008, 05:27:29 pm »
Yes - a warm humid 35km round trip to Dereham to give blood. Resisted the temptation to point and stare when some poor chap in the tea 'n biscuits room, keeled over - I thought he was looking a bit grey and shiny as we left the donating room.

I stopped by the supermarket on the way home and filled two panniers with groceries.

Half way home - started to feel a bit light-headed myself. Stopped for a Mars Bar and a beer some water. Sorted  :thumbsup:.

annie

« Reply #1193 on: 06 August, 2008, 07:43:26 pm »
A very pleasant but abbreviated ride with Annie.

We met at Manningtree station intending this route, which involved two ferries and lots of deserted rurality, but after a pub lunch at The Bristol Arms (although I didn't notice any Bristols on display) we missed our first ferry by about 2 minutes. My fault - I misread the timetable.

The weather had closed in, we found another pub, we had a Council of War and decided that the best bet was to cycle to Ipswich, get the train to Stowmarket, where Annie's car was parked, and then high-tail it to her house until it was time to leave for my train home from Ipswich at eight minutes past 7. I drank some London Pride that Annie had carefully prepared ("Do you like London Pride?" she asked  :-*), had a luxurious shower, and then Annie kindly cut my hair and trimmed my beard for me. She informed me that normally when she cuts their hair, men are naked and, once the cutting is over, are introduced to the vacuum cleaner. For some reason I was excused this treatment. Shucks.

Although we reverted to Plan B, which was probably just as well given the poor weather, it was a lovely day made so by a lady who is invariably absolutely coruscating company. We'll go all the way some time. 8)

Some pics from our ride of yesterday

We started from Manningtree station

Outside The Royal Hospital School - Holbrook

Atop another hill, Suffolk is NOT flat

We stopped to take pics of a church and erm some other interesting items

Lunch at this place

Not a scrap was left

Twas a bit misty out at sea

Thanks for a lovely day Wow. :-*

fiendish

• Yummy!
« Reply #1194 on: 06 August, 2008, 07:58:46 pm »
Me and the littlun have had a pootling day today - tea and making sock puppets with friends this morning (a mile each way) and this afternoon we went to Aldi to buy European chocolate, cheap ice cream and pizza and to investigate the other strange things they have for sale.  Ladies' wetsuit, £29.99 anyone?

« Reply #1195 on: 07 August, 2008, 07:11:15 am »
I went out yesterday for the Mid Peak Grimpeur audax. One the best/most enjoyable audax I have ever ridden. I enjoyed plodding along without any sense of urgency tremendously. 2 nice cafe stops, nice steady climbs, beautiful views and, most unexpectedly, great cycling weather.

It was also good to meet Noodley from this very forum. I have to say he looks different from his avatar.  ;)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #1196 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:03:07 am »
Not wishing to be in slightest bit rude, but Mr Wowbagger, unless I am very much mistaken, your figure is rapidly becoming unsuitable for your December job  ;) ;)

Please ensure that weight is put back on before 24.12.08.

« Reply #1197 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:41:26 pm »
yup, 30 miles of lakeland hills.  I was aiming to do honister but when i got to the bottom it was absolutely lashing it down and my brakes are dodgy enough in the dry, I didnt really fancy coming down the other side in the wet so I carried on to Langdale and then on to Elterwater, then back to Coniston.  Lovely, if a little soggy.

« Reply #1198 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:00:41 pm »
yup, 30 miles of lakeland hills.  I was aiming to do honister but when i got to the bottom it was absolutely lashing it down and my brakes are dodgy enough in the dry, I didnt really fancy coming down the other side in the wet so I carried on to Langdale and then on to Elterwater, then back to Coniston.  Lovely, if a little soggy.

So no proper hill climb yet then...  ;)  :P
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1199 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:51:50 pm »
I've just been off to one of my regular meetings :)

Six and a half kilometres round trip, though I must admit I added curlicues.

Sunshine on hte way down; heavy rainfall while I was in the meeting; sunshine on the way back. :)
Getting there...