Author Topic: Baggers do the Netherlands 3rd - 15th August 2019  (Read 6299 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Baggers do the Netherlands 3rd - 15th August 2019
« Reply #25 on: 28 June, 2019, 11:50:39 am »
We have a plan!

Saturday 3rd August - ferry
Sunday 4th - Zandvoort
Monday 5th - Edam
Tuesday 6th - Hippolythoef
Wednesday 7th - Franeker
Thursday 8th - Groningen
Friday 9th - Groningen
Saturday 10th - Emmen
Sunday 11th - Oldenzaal
Monday 12th - Zutphen
Tuesday 13th - Bussum
Wed 14th - Alphen an de Rijn
Thursday 15th - ferry.

All but three of the nights will be with Vrienden on de Fiets. We have booked a hotel for the two nights in Groningen and when in Bussum we will be staying with my nephew and his family.

I shall start plotting detailed routes soon. Most days are around the 60k mark, so a  little short of 40 miles.

Where have you booked in Groningen?  Jon and I have stayed in Hotel Miss Blanche and can thoroughly recommend it.

For food, we'd recommend Bistro Het Gerecht (particularly if you like seafood).

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #26 on: 28 June, 2019, 11:58:01 am »
We have a plan!

Saturday 3rd August - ferry
Sunday 4th - Zandvoort
Monday 5th - Edam
Tuesday 6th - Hippolythoef
Wednesday 7th - Franeker
Thursday 8th - Groningen
Friday 9th - Groningen
Saturday 10th - Emmen
Sunday 11th - Oldenzaal
Monday 12th - Zutphen
Tuesday 13th - Bussum
Wed 14th - Alphen an de Rijn
Thursday 15th - ferry.

All but three of the nights will be with Vrienden on de Fiets. We have booked a hotel for the two nights in Groningen and when in Bussum we will be staying with my nephew and his family.

I shall start plotting detailed routes soon. Most days are around the 60k mark, so a little short of 40 miles.

Great choice of towns (slightly biased opinion: I've lived in Groningen for the past 20 years and I'm originally from Emmen). You do know that between Hippolytushoef and Franeker you'll have to (partly) take the bus since the Afsluitdijk is currently closed for bikes?

Also I'm guessing that between Emmen and Oldenzaal you'll take the shortcut through Germany. May I recommend that you take the bicycle path, following the border, through the "Bargerveen" (roughly from Zwartemeer to Nieuw Schoonebeek). It's one of the last remaining moors in the Netherlands, very scenic and dead quiet usually.

Between Groningen and Emmen, I would just follow the LF-14 (a signposted long distance cycling route). Or use part of this audax ride: https://www.randonneurs.nl/brevet/brm-200-groningen-rondom-bourtangermoor-2/

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 28 June, 2019, 03:04:52 pm »
Thanks. Didn't know that about the bus. Hope it can manage a tandem.

We were intending to nip in and out of Germany but that sounds ike a good recommendation about the scenic route.

Where have you booked in Groningen?  Jon and I have stayed in Hotel Miss Blanche and can thoroughly recommend it.

We have a pretty good deal through Booking.com with the Best Western, a very grand looking place. €172.80 for two nights. We can cancel this at no cost up to 8th August.

I'll have a look at your alternative suggestion. Ta.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2019, 03:32:29 pm »

Just remember, your UK debit and credit cards are largely useless in .NL. Unless your card says "maestro" or "v-pay", it won't work outside of touristy areas. Don't be pulled into thinking it works cos you can buy something at a station. It won't work in 99% of places in .NL.

Carry cash just in case, but watch out for places that say "Alleen pinnen". Generally that means locals only, maestro and vpay only.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #29 on: 28 June, 2019, 05:40:06 pm »

Just remember, your UK debit and credit cards are largely useless in .NL. Unless your card says "maestro" or "v-pay", it won't work outside of touristy areas. Don't be pulled into thinking it works cos you can buy something at a station. It won't work in 99% of places in .NL.

Carry cash just in case, but watch out for places that say "Alleen pinnen". Generally that means locals only, maestro and vpay only.

J

I've never had a problem using a Visa Debit card in the Netherlands - including in small villages.  That said, Maestro is more prevalent.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 28 June, 2019, 05:47:24 pm »

J

I've never had a problem using a Visa Debit card in the Netherlands - including in small villages.  That said, Maestro is more prevalent.

Well it tripped up everyone at the start of RatN in the supermarket, as well as the café at the start etc...

I have UK, NL, and DE debit cards. Only my Dutch maestro works everywhere in .NL.

Every time I talk about this, someone says "but my card worked when I was there!" Great, you were lucky.

I'm sat next to the Ajax stadium in Amsterdam, just bought some fries. Maestro, vpay, or cash only.  This is a genuine issue for non Dutch people in the Netherlands.

J
--

« Reply #31 on: 28 June, 2019, 08:07:35 pm »
Thanks. Didn't know that about the bus. Hope it can manage a tandem.

We were intending to nip in and out of Germany but that sounds ike a good recommendation about the scenic route.

We have a pretty good deal through Booking.com with the Best Western, a very grand looking place. €172.80 for two nights. We can cancel this at no cost up to 8th August.

I'll have a look at your alternative suggestion. Ta.

Since I live in Groningen, I don't have a clue about hotels. "Bistro Het Gerecht" is a nice place, but on the expensive side. If you need recommendations for a place to eat, just name your preferred cuisine and budget and I can give suggestions.

Also willing to look at your route (once you've finished it) and suggest improvements.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 28 June, 2019, 09:18:28 pm »

J

Well it tripped up everyone at the start of RatN in the supermarket, as well as the café at the start etc...

I have UK, NL, and DE debit cards. Only my Dutch maestro works everywhere in .NL.

Every time I talk about this, someone says "but my card worked when I was there!" Great, you were lucky.

I'm sat next to the Ajax stadium in Amsterdam, just bought some fries. Maestro, vpay, or cash only.  This is a genuine issue for non Dutch people in the Netherlands.

J
Ah, Ajax taking advantage of the controversial away fries rule!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #33 on: 28 June, 2019, 09:48:05 pm »
I have a prepaid "travel money card" from the Post Office. It says "Mastercard" on it. I'm led to believe that I can use it in European (and other) cash machines. I never have - and I can't recall exactly how much I've put on it. Will have to check.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #34 on: 28 June, 2019, 10:07:12 pm »
I have a prepaid "travel money card" from the Post Office. It says "Mastercard" on it. I'm led to believe that I can use it in European (and other) cash machines. I never have - and I can't recall exactly how much I've put on it. Will have to check.

Any UK bank card should work at a Dutch cash machine, what charges they decide to extort, is anyones guess. If it says "Mastercard" and doesn't say Maestro, it won't work in most shops, bars, cafes, and the life.

J
--

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #35 on: 29 June, 2019, 04:44:23 am »
Julia is correct. We have issues using our German credit or debit cards in NL, including for me once at a car park barrier and another time at a card-only restaurant where they didn’t take any cash. Fortunately I have a v-pay debit card from Germany tucked away and that worked. Google Pay didn’t work for Klaus either.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 29 June, 2019, 08:46:52 am »
Julia is correct. We have issues using our German credit or debit cards in NL, including for me once at a car park barrier and another time at a card-only restaurant where they didn’t take any cash. Fortunately I have a v-pay debit card from Germany tucked away and that worked. Google Pay didn’t work for Klaus either.

Oh yes. Google pay and the apple version, that doesn't work either.

J
--

« Reply #37 on: 29 June, 2019, 10:45:25 am »
I couldn't use my UK cards at the Albert Heijn in Hook, but they do have a cashpoint by the tills, presumably because they get a lot of people off the ferry coming to pay and realising that none of their cards work. I vaguely recall that you can't use your UK cards in any Albert Heijn, but one of the other major Dutch supermarket chains will take Visa - of course I can't now remember which one it is...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #38 on: 29 June, 2019, 11:19:00 am »
I couldn't use my UK cards at the Albert Heijn in Hook, but they do have a cashpoint by the tills, presumably because they get a lot of people off the ferry coming to pay and realising that none of their cards work. I vaguely recall that you can't use your UK cards in any Albert Heijn, but one of the other major Dutch supermarket chains will take Visa - of course I can't now remember which one it is...

UK cards work in the AH on Dam square (cos tourist central) and the one at Vijzelgracht (opposite the Heineken rip off).

Pretty much every AH has an ING cash point in the store. Jumbo don't take UK cards, haven't tried any other supermarkets.

J
--

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #39 on: 29 July, 2019, 06:29:24 pm »
Jan and I have abandoned this trip an cancelled the bookings for the time being. With my aunt being as ill as she is, I don't want to be away from her for such a long time. The Netherlands will still be there in another month or two. i doubt that Phyllis will.