Author Topic: Turbo or rollers for a trike?  (Read 1775 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Turbo or rollers for a trike?
« on: 22 August, 2008, 09:08:35 pm »

Does anyone know any? I need to do aerobic exercises and keep my legs excercised, unfortunately I can't mount a proper bike, or even a step through frame so one suggested trying to find something for the trike instead which I can fall into and climb out off. The rear wheel is a tandem wheel so I'm guessing wider than MTB dropouts. I admit to not knowing anything about them.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Sigurd Mudtracker

Re: Turbo or rollers for a trike?
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2008, 08:15:47 pm »
I can't see why you couldn't use a turbo trainer.  I have the Frankenbent on a Tacx turbo (very helpful in building it - way too heavy for the work stand - and there is plenty of room to fit in a wider axle. (135mm OLN axle - tandem is often 145mm or wider)

You can buy rollers for recumbent trikes - there was one reviewed in Velovision some time ago - but the advantage of a turbo trainer is that you can apply a bit of resistance and get a more realistic workout.  They do have a reputation for shredding tyres, but I've never found that - probably not working hard enough.  Even the magnetic ones generate a fair bit of noise in full flight.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Turbo or rollers for a trike?
« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2008, 09:07:55 pm »
Loverly, thanks!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium