Author Topic: Eureka 2015  (Read 1299 times)

Chris S

Eureka 2015
« on: 09 November, 2015, 09:47:10 pm »
Does it always rain like that in Manchester?

Lordy! I wasn't riding - fboab rode it solo, and I delivered/collected her to/from Cheadle with Teh Van. The rain on the way to the finish was horrendous - traffic mahem, floods, leaves blocking drains...

And yet no thread on YACF? You folks up North just take it in your stride, don't you? While us softy southerners have a good whine about some drizzle on Saturday in Oxfordshire, you Northern types are sloshing through axle-deep, thick brown flood water, shouting "Turned out nice again, ain't it?" to your mates.

Nutters!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Eureka 2015
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2015, 09:52:04 pm »

Lordy! I wasn't riding - fboab rode it solo, and I delivered/collected her to/from Cheadle with Teh Van. The rain on the way to the finish was horrendous - traffic mahem, floods, leaves blocking drains...

And yet no thread on YACF? You folks up North just take it in your stride, don't you? While us softy southerners have a good whine about some drizzle on Saturday in Oxfordshire, you Northern types are sloshing through axle-deep, thick brown flood water, shouting "Turned out nice again, ain't it?" to your mates.

Nutters!

You just reminded me of my first ever YACF ride.  December 2010.  Snow, ice, meltwater, floating icebergs ...

It was a grand day out, all in all.  There were chips.   :)
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:19:10 pm »
Chris S - it was just a typical Sunday in Cheshire; dry, wet and windy, dry and windy, very wet and windy  ;D

I rode it with a few others until about 100k and then eased off, finishing just before the torrental downpour.

« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:20:20 pm »
'twas dry for the north ,

« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2015, 11:30:36 pm »
Note this entry on Strava:

https://www.strava.com/activities/429195559

(title: Morning Ride, typical Yorkshire understatement)

BTW, Chris, I don't think the ride's very Mancunian - the Eureka's more of a Merseyside caff. I think. I could be wrong, I'm from farther north ;)

« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:12:12 am »
Yep, The Eureka is at Two Mills on The Wirral.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:49:55 am »
I can confirm that at least one forum member took a look out of the curtains yesterday morning, thought 'FUCK THAT!' and made another coffee before resuming dozing on the sofa.

TF BUNDY or N.F.M. You choose . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:29:57 pm »

Yes, but my malt loaf was still dry.

Apologies to Sean Connery

« Reply #8 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:38:29 pm »

Yes, but my malt loaf was still dry.

Apologies to Sean Connery
Shame I couldn't manage the same with my feet, thanks to the shoe-disintegration.  ;D

I guess it's just local knowledge then, how you managed such a fine job of weaving us through the road-lakes on that last stretch?  :D

« Reply #9 on: 10 November, 2015, 09:02:31 pm »
It was apparently much worse down south last weekend. I was test riding bits of LEL near Epping, and really struggled with the rainburst that happened when I was repairing the puncture that happened while riding through floodwater.