Author Topic: Aeropress V's Aeropress Go  (Read 2464 times)

Aeropress V's Aeropress Go
« on: 12 October, 2020, 03:51:33 pm »
I've been a V60 user for a few years and just fancy a change.  On the basis of having had a couple of decent cups of Aeropress coffee, and the price, it's next on the list.
So, question is - Is there any disadvantage to getting the smaller "go" version? Mainly in terms of results, though convenience and practicality also considerations.

Re: Aeropress V's Aeropress Go
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2020, 06:56:10 pm »
The Go has about 75% of the capacity of the regular one; if you're making coffee for one person, there's not much in it, but if you're doing bigger brews that may be a problem. I have a regular Aeropress and thought about getting the Go for brew-ups on the bike, but unless you're really space-constrained it's not like the regular one is massive.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2020, 09:08:48 pm »
I stopped using Aeropress due to their short life. Both the ones I've had became unusable after a couple of years. Cafetieres may not produce a superior brew but they last a lot longer.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2020, 09:44:50 pm »
I stopped using Aeropress due to their short life. Both the ones I've had became unusable after a couple of years. Cafetieres may not produce a superior brew but they last a lot longer.

What happened to them to fail?

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2020, 09:48:53 pm »
The Go has about 75% of the capacity of the regular one; if you're making coffee for one person, there's not much in it, but if you're doing bigger brews that may be a problem. I have a regular Aeropress and thought about getting the Go for brew-ups on the bike, but unless you're really space-constrained it's not like the regular one is massive.
Thanks, that was useful, as I'd be tempted to take it on winter rides and there doesn't seem to be a reason not to, I think I'll go for the Go.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2020, 02:15:43 pm »

That's puzzling me too. I've had mine for, umm, some years. I've replaced the rubber plunger twice in that time, second time using a New! Imroved! Not Very Shiny! composition.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Fennec

« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2020, 02:27:01 pm »
Yes, mine is about 5-6 years old and on its second rubber bung (and would not be mistakable for a new Aeropress) but i expect it to remain functional for a long time.

Does the Go version use the same filters as the normal Aeropress?

« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2020, 02:50:06 pm »
Does the Go version use the same filters as the normal Aeropress?
Yes, the filters are the same.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2020, 03:47:31 pm »

In the first one the clear plastic main body bit became split/crazed. For the second the inner surface of the same bit started to peel away. In both cases it meant that the rubber plunger no longer sealed.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2020, 04:18:17 pm »
I'm still on my first two aeropress'(pi?), each one used at least once daily, the home one maybe 2-3 times daily for around 5 years, still on the original rubber too.

Do you guys tend to wash yours or stick it in the dishwasher? We just rinse ours under the tap and leave it to dry.

If you get the larger aeropress, you may have better luck finding a small grinder that fits inside.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 27 October, 2020, 12:20:56 pm »
Disassemble and rinse under the tap immediately after thwacking the puck into the bin.
Reassemble with the plunger all the way down and leave to dry.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #11 on: 27 October, 2020, 05:25:42 pm »
I just rinse and leave to dry.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.