Author Topic: Poor little Kitty  (Read 2616 times)

Poor little Kitty
« on: 02 October, 2008, 07:52:57 pm »
A very poorly cat has just wandered into our garage.  He is extremely friendly but very weak and thin, has a very badly infected eye, and is evidently completely blind.  He has obviously been loved as he is so friendly, but is now very unkempt.  Has a collar but no tag.  He has eaten some food and drank a lot of water, and is now asleep on an old towel.

We're trying to contact the local Cats Protection shelter to see if they will take him in.  Neighbours have offered to share vet's bills.

Poor little thing.
Spinning, but not cycling...

Re: Poor little Kitty
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:03:50 pm »
 :'( poor ickle sod. Give him a tickle from me.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:50:58 pm »
Poor kitty. I would keep your two out of his way though just in case he's got FIV....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:07:36 pm »
Yes, we're keeping our four moggies out of the way.  He's gradually eaten a packet and a half of cat food over the course of the evening and drunk a fair bit of water. 

He's obviously starving and thirsty, and he is now curled up on an old towel, purring a bit when we rub his ear.  If he hasn't got cat flu the cat rescue will have him, so we'll take him to the vet in the morning.  We've left a light on in case he has a bit of eyesight, and also put the heating on in the garage for him.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:45:38 pm »
There might be a family somewhere nearby missing a cat.
 :'(

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 03 October, 2008, 03:21:53 pm »
There might be a family somewhere nearby missing a cat.
 :'(

That's what we thought.

It turns out that Humphrey (so called because of all the garages in all the streets in all the towns, he had to walk into ours) is Humphreyetta.  She is about 15 and has renal failure, but is still nice and friendly but very weak.  We think if she's up to it we will try some IV rehydration for her, as we'd want somebody to do that for us if we lost one of ours.  It doesn't look very hopeful for her, but I think we should try as she is somebody else's cat.  None of the neighbours know of a missing cat of her description.

« Reply #6 on: 03 October, 2008, 03:24:31 pm »
Good luck, ickle Humpreyette.

« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2008, 06:21:56 pm »
Well, it looks like she might pull through, at least for a while.  Her kidney function is still poor but better now she is properly hydrated.  She is still very thin and weak, but her eye infection is responding to antibiotics, and the good news is that she is eating a lot and drinking well.  Her blood tests for FIV and Leukaemia are negative.  The good appetite means she should put on some weight and get stronger.

She is coming out of hospital tomorrow.  Our neighbours are going to have her, as they are retired and can cuddle her all day if she needs it, but we are definitely allowed visiting rights!  She is so cuddly and friendly.  She gave our neighbour a kiss on the nose and really responds to affection.  Even the vet was impressed by her lovely nature.  She will need antibiotics and eye drops and a special kidney diet.

We have finally settled on Annie (Orphan Annie) as a name.  It is costing us a fortune, but what price on helping a little animal to have a peaceful and comfortable old age?

Seems she walked into the right garage!

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2008, 06:30:51 pm »
what price on helping a little animal to have a peaceful and comfortable old age?

Well said

Seems she walked into the right garage!

it does :)

I'm really happy for  Annie.

« Reply #9 on: 06 October, 2008, 05:56:14 pm »
She's HOME.  She has her own room next door, and has perked up no end today and washed herself and looks lovely and clean now.  I'll post some piccies of her in her new basket when I get a chance.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 06 October, 2008, 06:07:41 pm »
Our old cat had chronic renal failure and needed rehydration. She was fine afterwards (for several months). She was on daily beta-blockers and some special food, but was quite happy with this (probably because the only way she'd take the tablets was in a spoonful of tuna, and cats love tuna). Eating and drinking plenty seem to be the best predictor of heath, despite her having had consistently poor kidney function test results. She'd have probably stuck around for longer but she had a co-existing thyroid problem, which essentially had to be left untreated.

« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2008, 07:45:35 pm »
Update:  She's doing better, despite being knocked back a bit by another visit to the vet today.  According to our neighbour she is now walking around, eating, drinking and asking to pop out of the back door.  She's being spoiled rotten - a lovely bed in front of the fire and everything she could want in terms of attention and love.

Pictures will follow soon - I'm in the process of switching over to a new computer so still not able to put photos on the web.

« Reply #12 on: 22 October, 2008, 11:48:43 am »
Sad news to report.  Annie did well to start with, and was eating and drinking well, and starting to wobble her way around our neighbours' house.  However her eye infection was not responding well to treatment, and she was too weak to have an operation.  She finally stopped eating and drinking and on the recommendation of the vet, she was put to sleep last Friday.

She was thoroughly spoiled and loved to the end, and cuddled and fussed over.  She responded with affection and love, and this little cat will be missed very much, even though we only knew her a short time.

Rest in peace, Annie.  I hope we made your going good.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13 on: 22 October, 2008, 11:56:08 am »
Sad to hear... but at least she was looked after and loved.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 22 October, 2008, 12:07:52 pm »
Oh dear  :(

I hope we made your going good.

Of this, I have no doubt  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #15 on: 22 October, 2008, 04:28:23 pm »
Ho hum, that's a shame.  :(

I don't think you could have done more than you did.  Once cats start to go downhill, it seems to happen very rapidly, and stopping eating and drinking seems to be a bad sign.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 22 October, 2008, 07:22:40 pm »
:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.