Author Topic: Nicole Cooke retires from racing  (Read 6799 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Nicole Cooke retires from racing
« Reply #25 on: 19 January, 2013, 02:16:31 pm »
@LWAB: yes, she's pretty forthright about the women dopers  :thumbsup:

She sounds pretty bitter. With good reason I think.
i think that depends on which section you focus on. This doesn't sound bitter:

I am very happy with my career. I have many, many happy memories over what has been my life's work since I was 12. I am now 29 so that is 17 years of my life that I have enjoyed and now I am bringing to a close. I have won every race and more that I dreamed I could win. As a little girl of 12, after beating all the boys at the Welsh cyclo cross championships, I stood in front of the TV cameras and stated to the BBC reporter -- when asked the question -- what would you like do in cycling -- I answered "I want to win the Tour de France and win the Olympic Road Race"

At 12 I dreamed like every child. I hoped that some of my dreams could come true. You cannot imagine how happy I am to be here with you now, with my dreams fulfilled. I am very happy.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #26 on: 19 January, 2013, 03:47:12 pm »
Lizzie armistead really doesnt like her, does she ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21036935
Her comments show her as bitter and stupid.

Indeed, niave too......She added: "I just find it upsetting because the sport that I love, cycling, is clean now"
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

« Reply #27 on: 19 January, 2013, 05:36:16 pm »
Imagine if, say, Jens Voight, was to retire and do so with a volley of accusations about the sport. I can't imagine people would be happy.

I'd say there's zero chance of that happening. The guy thinks Lance has been punished enough, move along here, nothing to see...

« Reply #28 on: 26 July, 2014, 11:30:41 pm »
There were a few extracts from her upcoming autobiography in today's Times - it's fair to say that she doesn't have much time for Shane Sutton...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 27 July, 2014, 08:28:09 am »
Saw her on the tellybocks the other week, getting somewhat exercised - and rightly so - about being excluded from a feature about BRITONS who had worn the Maillot Jaune.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrew

« Reply #30 on: 27 July, 2014, 08:58:21 am »
That's a book I shall read. I think we'll get an honest and forthright account rather than some PR exercise. I've been a fan of Nicole Cook's for years. She's been there and done it;  long before there was media spotlight, lottery funding or Team Sky etc. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #31 on: 27 July, 2014, 09:09:38 am »
For a while there, Nicole Cooke was British women's cycling and I don't feel she got the recognition she deserved.  A gutsy, strong-willed rider and person. I hope there's a role for her in cycling, if she wants one, because her knowledge would be invaluable.

(Exits muttering the phrase or saying "Mandy Jones")
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #32 on: 27 July, 2014, 12:43:37 pm »
That's a book I shall read. I think we'll get an honest and forthright account rather than some PR exercise. I've been a fan of Nicole Cook's for years. She's been there and done it;  long before there was media spotlight, lottery funding or Team Sky etc.

+1. One of my cycling heroes.

« Reply #33 on: 27 July, 2014, 03:36:40 pm »
Armitstead: "I just find it upsetting because the sport that I love, cycling, is clean now. My sport now is not that sport anymore."

If you saw that quote by itself, it seems to be saying she's upset because now the sport's clean and that the clean sport is not her sport anymore. Which is a pretty outrageous thing to say! And that's how I read it when quoted upthread.

But after reading the article, what she said is actually, I think:
I just find it ("it" being talking about old drug scandals) setting because the sport that I love, cycling, is clean now. My sport now (clean cycling) is not that sport (dope riddled cycling) anymore.

Andrew

« Reply #34 on: 20 August, 2014, 07:14:51 pm »
I finished reading Nicole's autobiography last week. It is a very blunt read in places. It's fair to say that she wasn't given the assistance/support (by various British cycling bodies) she felt she needed. That comes through load and clear!

What was fascinating (for me) to read was her talk of race tactics. It's not something I've read before so it was illuminating.

I'm sure her headstrong nature makes her a trying individual at times, and I'm sure she put backs up, noses out of joint, etc BUT I have nothing but admiration for her. She didn't take 'no' for an answer and would find a way. What else could she do? Put her dreams on hold whilst comittees made a decision?

Two amusing related stories;

I bought the book in a local Waterstones. I checked the 'new releases' shelf and it wasn't there. A number of Chris Froome's were there, plus a few others. Above those were a couple of books on sexism. I looked at the sports biographies shelf, same thing. So I asked at the counter if they had it in. 'Who?' Came the reply, then a brief chat about the TdF and Wiggins, Cavendish, Froome. A search on the computer revealed they had one copy but it was in the stock room and they hadn't gotten around to shelving it yet. I was happy. I had my book.

A day later, I was oiling my chain (literally, no metaphor) outside the place I was staying at. A chap walks up and starts talking bikes. He's a consultant cycling coach, involved with a number of clubs - Hillingdon, Croydon (the one Paul Smith funds) plus he has several clients living in Spain, France and the UK. He was clearly well connected, mentioning "Brad" and "Pooley", who he knew well. I didn't get the sense he was name dropping either, he genuinely knew these people. So I mentioned that I was reading Nicole Cooke's book. "ah, Cookie" he said "she burnt some bridges".

Those 2 incidents seemed to echo themes of the book and made me see what Cooke was up against. That she had the successes she had speaks volumes to her character.

« Reply #35 on: 14 November, 2014, 11:44:53 am »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #36 on: 01 January, 2015, 10:10:56 pm »
I finished reading Nicole's autobiography last week. It is a very blunt read in places.

Currently available for £2.50 on kindle
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breakaway-Nicole-Cooke-ebook/dp/B00DJWA0OW/ref=sr_1_101?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1420146662&sr=1-101

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #37 on: 20 January, 2015, 10:17:05 pm »
Ahem...

She is a clubmate after all. I remember her turning up at the club 10, aged 12, with her dad and brother... (continued on page 192)

« Reply #38 on: 20 January, 2015, 10:20:25 pm »
jammy get

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #39 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:37:50 pm »
Read the kindle version on holiday. A good read and not terribly complimentary about some.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes