Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 858735 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #3725 on: 15 September, 2019, 12:28:56 pm »
Talking of Pride, I was in Gloucester yesterday and saw the revellers of Gloucester Pride. It made me wonder, again, why different places hold <Place> Pride on different dates

So the dedicated QUILTBAGs, particularly those of regional or national organisations, can go to more than one of them.
A remarkably sensible reason.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3726 on: 15 September, 2019, 01:38:40 pm »
Talking of Pride, I was in Gloucester yesterday and saw the revellers of Gloucester Pride. It made me wonder, again, why different places hold <Place> Pride on different dates

So the dedicated QUILTBAGs, particularly those of regional or national organisations, can go to more than one of them.
A remarkably sensible reason.

And a great marketing opportunity for the railways.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3727 on: 15 September, 2019, 01:48:45 pm »
The railways have their own pride events and rainbow staff badges etc.
https://www.gwr.com/destinations-and-events/festivals-and-events/pride-with-gwr

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3728 on: 15 September, 2019, 02:03:06 pm »
The singer's dress/cloak was also in bi flag colours.

It's a shame it was during one of the ongoing bastions of colonialism which caused a lot of anti-same-sex laws in various parts of the world... So both 'yay' and what they call pinkwashing....

The singer is Jamie Barton. Reading her bio on the interwebs, I don't think she had the rainbow flag and bi flag colours especially for the Last Night of the proms.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3729 on: 15 September, 2019, 05:26:30 pm »
The singer's dress/cloak was also in bi flag colours.

It's a shame it was during one of the ongoing bastions of colonialism which caused a lot of anti-same-sex laws in various parts of the world... So both 'yay' and what they call pinkwashing....

The singer is Jamie Barton. Reading her bio on the interwebs, I don't think she had the rainbow flag and bi flag colours especially for the Last Night of the proms.
The interview while they were rearranging the orchestra just before her performance also made that clear. Cracking voice!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3730 on: 15 September, 2019, 08:30:20 pm »
I have learned to ride a bike with only a coaster rear brake. Scary at first, thankfully it's all rather quiet at the moment

« Reply #3731 on: 16 September, 2019, 08:22:36 pm »
I've learned more today, including how scary it can get in traffic when all your reflexes are geared around brakes. I've not learned how the dutch do the stopping thing despite watching, coz mostly they don't. I've learned that if you do wear lycra and a helmet over here you have to make like it's a TT. I'm trying to learn how to get used to bikes having priority over cars, eg on exit from local roundabouts. It's almost worth riding around and around for the experience.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3732 on: 16 September, 2019, 08:33:04 pm »
I've learned more today, including how scary it can get in traffic when all your reflexes are geared around brakes. I've not learned how the dutch do the stopping thing despite watching, coz mostly they don't. I've learned that if you do wear lycra and a helmet over here you have to make like it's a TT. I'm trying to learn how to get used to bikes having priority over cars, eg on exit from local roundabouts. It's almost worth riding around and around for the experience.

The bit I find difficult about cycling in NL/BE is that quite a lot of motorists will give way to you at the junctions or bike crossings where they don't have to, but you can't rely on everyone doing that.
I did learn that buses never give way.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3733 on: 16 September, 2019, 09:37:26 pm »
The bit I find difficult about cycling in NL/BE is that quite a lot of motorists will give way to you at the junctions or bike crossings where they don't have to, but you can't rely on everyone doing that.

They've recently installed some segregated routes with cyclist priority at junctions in Middle Earth, with hilarious consequences.  Drivers give way to cyclists, but you can't rely on everyone doing it, so you have to cultivate a air of either "steamroller on a TT" or "completely oblivious" while secretly preparing to stop.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3734 on: 16 September, 2019, 09:44:58 pm »
Yes, that!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3735 on: 18 September, 2019, 03:43:44 pm »
Given my lack of fluidity and dodgy reflexes on the omafiets, I'm quite happy slowing to stop where it isn't clear who has priority, having first glanced behind to see if I'm going to have my jacksie rearranged by someone that doesn't know I'm forrin. I confess to occasionally  taking the long way around roundabouts, though just for the lols, eg

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #3736 on: 18 September, 2019, 04:38:28 pm »
The chevrons on OS maps point *down* the hills and not up as I'd assumed...  :facepalm:
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3737 on: 18 September, 2019, 04:42:49 pm »
The chevrons on OS maps point *down* the hills and not up as I'd assumed...  :facepalm:

That's a mistake you only make once...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3738 on: 18 September, 2019, 04:47:26 pm »
That Essex have won the County Cricket Championship 7 times, and that could well be 8 in a week's time.

That means that only Lancashire, Middlesex, Surrey and Yorkshire have won the title more times than Essex, which is pretty remarkable given that Essex's first championship win was in 1979. The only county to have won their first championship more recently than Essex is Durham and they have only taken part in the even since 1992. I'm quite surprised that Essex has won the title more often than Kent. That actually makes Essex the most successful county at real cricket over the past 40 years.

Three counties have never won the title: Gloucestershire, Northamptonshire and Somerset. If Essex don't win their 8th title next week, Somerset will have won their 1st.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3739 on: 18 September, 2019, 05:45:07 pm »
I think the point is, you're now supposed to tell us as well

Sorry, didn't think to do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_flags
This seems apt for it:
"It was flown from the large public flagpole in San Francisco's Castro District ..." - although 'Castra' would be better.
MK has a fixed-site Pride Festival this weekend - I thought about going there and then realised that MK could be a bit crowded for some other reason.
And I've just learnt there's a nonbinary pride flag, seen in the photo at the top of this article: https://www.bristol247.com/opinion/your-say/bristol-is-a-loving-city-for-non-binary-people-and-those-in-the-wider-lgbtq-community/
the black, purple, white, yellow one

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3740 on: 18 September, 2019, 08:32:45 pm »
Here, have the Wikipedia spotters' guide:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_flag#Gallery

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3741 on: 18 September, 2019, 08:40:42 pm »
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3742 on: 18 September, 2019, 09:27:18 pm »
That Essex have won the County Cricket Championship 7 times, and that could well be 8 in a week's time.

That means that only Lancashire, Middlesex, Surrey and Yorkshire have won the title more times than Essex, which is pretty remarkable given that Essex's first championship win was in 1979. The only county to have won their first championship more recently than Essex is Durham and they have only taken part in the even since 1992. I'm quite surprised that Essex has won the title more often than Kent. That actually makes Essex the most successful county at real cricket over the past 40 years.

Three counties have never won the title: Gloucestershire, Northamptonshire and Somerset. If Essex don't win their 8th title next week, Somerset will have won their 1st.

Having been at uni in Bath for 4 years and lived for a year in Taunton, and been born in Wiltshire I'm a west country lad by heart.  My money is on zummerzet
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3743 on: 19 September, 2019, 10:49:58 am »
Here, have the Wikipedia spotters' guide:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_flag#Gallery
Seems to be an amount of splittism (such as agender, genderfluid, gender queer, non-binary – but nothing for demigender). You'd think that someone would tire of horizontal stripes eventually. Also, interesting lesbian-fascist overlap.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3744 on: 19 September, 2019, 12:31:32 pm »
Seems to be an amount of splittism (such as agender, genderfluid, gender queer, non-binary – but nothing for demigender).

I think it's more accumulation.  Many of these terms were coined in relative isolation, or have fallen by the wayside as others gained more traction.  (Eg. The current generational divide[1], where young people reject 'bisexual' in favour of 'pansexual', on the usually naive and frequently erroneous assumption that bisexual implies a gender binary[2].)  Flag designs are especially bad for this, as people have invented their own when needed, without always being aware of what other people (particularly more marginalised groups) are using - particularly in the days before the mainstream graphical Web.  I've lost count of the number of times I've seen bi+, poly and trans groups using the same clever combinations of Venus and Mars symbols to mean entirely different things...

[1] What really makes me feel old are the teenagers on InstaTube ranting about 'queer' being a slur, having completely missed the reclamation of the term.
[2] FWIW I, like most 1990s bisexuals, use the "attraction to more than one gender" definition.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3745 on: 19 September, 2019, 12:49:14 pm »
Obviously we can't expect small enthusiastic groups to be vexillologists and even if they were... just look at the flags of Romania and Chad, Monaco and Indonesia, Moldova and Andorra or best of all Poland and Czechoslovakia immediately after WW1...

I'm now waiting for the orange, white and black stripes on my mudflap to get me identified as a member of some obscure group I've never heard of (it's meant to be the colours of Audax Club Bristol)!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3746 on: 19 September, 2019, 12:56:08 pm »
HOW many nations would have flags included in a 'red, white and blue Brexit'?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3747 on: 19 September, 2019, 01:06:44 pm »
HOW many nations would have flags included in a 'red, white and blue Brexit'?
Do you mean how many nations have red, white and blue flags? Or are you pointing out that while the Union flag is red, white and blue, the flags of each of it four constituents include at least two of those colours but never all three together?

It will be curious to see how, if at all, the UJ is altered post any possible independence of N.Ireland and/or Scotland. I'm tending towards not at all.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3748 on: 19 September, 2019, 01:17:14 pm »
Interesting. Subtract St. Patrick's cross and the red overlay disappears from St. Andrew's saltire.  Add St. David's cross (yellow on a black field) and St. George's cross either gets a yellow & black border or a yellow & black overlay in the middle.  Somewhat puky.

I suppose that St. David isn't there to start with because the King of Arms responsible considered Wales, as a principality, to be part of England.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3749 on: 19 September, 2019, 01:20:31 pm »
I blame the imperialists as detailed by Eddie Izzard*. Folks rushed to get a flag to stop the expanding imperial nations from including them.

* no fleg, no country. https://youtu.be/hYeFcSq7Mxg
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.