Author Topic: Tour de France 2015 (Contains Spoilers)  (Read 43405 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Tour de France 2015 (Contains Spoilers)
« on: 05 July, 2015, 03:36:36 pm »
Well this is more interesting than I expected for a pan flat stage! :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Tour de France 2015
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2015, 04:28:25 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2015, 04:37:30 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Also, too many "spoiler" tags will render the thread almost unreadable so perhaps people who are waiting for the highlights should refrain from reading this until they know the outcome...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2015, 04:59:02 pm »
Along with twitface, news and friends. Just stick fingers into your ears go lalalalalalalala while digging a hole to hide in.

Anywhoooo, I'm looking forward to see the highlights even if I saw who did what now.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2015, 05:13:59 pm »
The intermediate sprint in Rotterdam was one block (and a harbour basin) from where I used to live.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2015, 06:11:45 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Also, too many "spoiler" tags will render the thread almost unreadable so perhaps people who are waiting for the highlights should refrain from reading this until they know the outcome...

Indeed a very bad show by Cav. This might cost him dearly later on, he'll need Martin to keep the bunch togehter.

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2015, 06:22:03 pm »
Cav lost the plot a bit. The team bus must be a fun place tonight.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2015, 06:24:05 pm »
Petulance is never attractive! And rarely brings anything good.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2015, 06:26:12 pm »
Cav's response on Facebook: -
Look at this photo. If I could hang on for 3rd, I could hang on for the win... Some imbeciles think cycling is a computer game. Problem is, social media & TV are platforms for them to be heard. Gutted for Tony Martin. Congratulations Andre Greipel.
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMarkCavendish/photos/a.614684375235031.1073741828.123161697720637/855486084488191/?type=1&theater

Sorry I don't buy it. No he wasn't going to win, but he sat up IMHO watching the replays.

« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2015, 06:49:25 pm »
Cav looked to go way too early. Now he's got the bollock ache with everybody as usual  :P

Also, too many "spoiler" tags will render the thread almost unreadable...

Indeed, I believe it is customary to haver the thread title as "Tour de France 2015 (Contains Spoilers)", then do away with spoiler tags within. Anyone doing a Likely Lads would be very stupid indeed to then enter the thread...

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2015, 06:59:29 pm »
EQS had spent much of the race riding hard (cf Lotto who did the minimum necessary). Then it was Renshaw who took Cav up to the front early, died on his feet dropping Cav off early. Cav had no choice but to go, giving Greipel a perfect lead out.
Sprinting isn't about who can go fastest, but who dies least quickly. Cav died 30m too early and when the legs go, they are gone. It wasn't sitting up but there was nothing left to give.

Cav made the best of a bad job, the fault was Renshaw's and Lotto getting essentially a free ride.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2015, 08:06:34 pm »
This is what they want  :thumbsup:

Re: Tour de France 2015 (Contains Spoilers)
« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2015, 08:43:47 pm »
Cav needed more team mates there at the end to help Renshaw lead him out a train doesn't normally have two carriages

« Reply #13 on: 05 July, 2015, 08:59:09 pm »
Cav needed more team mates there at the end to help Renshaw lead him out a train doesn't normally have two carriages

There were only about 25 riders in the first group. Having two teammates is already a lot in such a situation.

TimC

« Reply #14 on: 05 July, 2015, 09:11:06 pm »
Cav and Renshaw were ideally placed behind Greipel and his lead-out guy at 300m. For some bizarre reason, instead of staying there and launching from behind them at a normal place, Mark went early. The move was doomed from that moment. But Cav still sat up early, letting Spartacus in for the Yellow and denying it to Martin. Cav is very good at keeping all these stats in his head; he will be well pissed off with himself that it went against Tony even if he can justify to himself why he lost the sprint.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #15 on: 05 July, 2015, 09:13:51 pm »
Which Mark are you talking about? Cav would sense that Renshaw was fading, and realise he has to go, or freelance something else. It was Renshaw's move round the line at about 500 to go that lost it - I was thinking 'Why is he moving up so early?' and with the headwind it was about 30m too soon.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #16 on: 05 July, 2015, 09:27:35 pm »
By easing off at the line when he saw he was not going to win, Cav gave away a 4 seconds bonus which would have given Martin the jersey. Or at least that is the way it looked on TV.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: 05 July, 2015, 11:00:22 pm »
Reported comments from Cavendish on BBC Sport:

"The day Cancellara beats me in a sprint I've gone too long. I've gassed it," Cavendish said.

"I think Mark [Renshaw] went too early and kind of left me hanging. We died. It's disappointing, Tony's disappointed."

Debate over.

« Reply #18 on: 05 July, 2015, 11:10:46 pm »
Sport happens.

Hindsight is 20/20 or better, but BMC must be wondering if it would have been worth taking the long view with regard to Van Garderen's GC chances, accepting that Dennis was going to lose the race lead and put more time into Quintana, Nibbles and Rodriguez by helping EQS drive the break. I know they weren't obliged to help the break on account of Dennis being the wrong side of the split but still...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19 on: 05 July, 2015, 11:20:56 pm »
BONG! Sometimes experienced people get things wrong.

TimC

« Reply #20 on: 05 July, 2015, 11:41:59 pm »
Reported comments from Cavendish on BBC Sport:

"The day Cancellara beats me in a sprint I've gone too long. I've gassed it," Cavendish said.

"I think Mark [Renshaw] went too early and kind of left me hanging. We died. It's disappointing, Tony's disappointed."

Debate over.

Yes, quite. It's unfair of me to criticise - I'm never going to be placed in that position! It's more of a commentary than a criticism, anyway. They went too early, and if they hadn't it's highly likely that Cav would have won the stage. (Ok, statement of the bleeding obvious!). The shame is that if Cav had just stayed on the power a second longer, and I'm sure he could have done, then Tony Martin would be wearing yellow and Cav would have had a rock-solid ally for the rest of the race. Now, maybe not so much...

« Reply #21 on: 06 July, 2015, 08:33:40 am »
Tony Martin would be wearing yellow and Cav would have had a rock-solid ally for the rest of the race.

He will still have a rock solid ally! Tony is way too professional to let something like that alter his commitment to the team and Cav. They'll just put it down as "one of those things" and move on...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

TimC

« Reply #22 on: 06 July, 2015, 12:10:27 pm »
I hope you're right, bobb. And I'm sure Cav is annoyed with himself, looking back on it. I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #23 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:00:29 pm »
Carnage out there today.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #24 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:12:31 pm »
Regards yesterday, TM was relying totally on the results of other riders in order for him to wear yellow.  FC made it happen by his own efforts and fully deserved to be in yellow.

Just watching live and oh my goodness.  Pretty grim.