Author Topic: Turntable motor revival  (Read 866 times)

Turntable motor revival
« on: 23 August, 2020, 01:59:18 pm »
I discovered my DUAL CS505 at my mother's house the other day. I bought it new in 1982 and I last used it in 2000. I plugged it in and it works, although it needs a new drive belt. My one concern is the smell that came from the motor; not a burning smell exactly, but not inspiring either. Would this be dust burning off, or could it be something to worry about?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Turntable motor revival
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2020, 05:52:04 pm »
Run it for a bit and see how hot it gets.

If it's not too hot to touch, it's probably fine.

Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2020, 10:06:54 am »
Many years ago I had to repair a friend's turntable which was either a CS505 or it might have been a Planar 3, can't remember.

There was a small circuit board with a Resistor / Capacitor on it to provide a phase-shifted supply to a secondary 'run' winding on the motor.
The resistor had failed open-circuit.

The resistor was quite beefy, at least 5W if I recall, and ran fairly hot.

So it could be dust collected on such a resistor that's just burning off.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2020, 06:13:00 pm »
I discovered my DUAL CS505 at my mother's house the other day. I bought it new in 1982 and I last used it in 2000. I plugged it in and it works, although it needs a new drive belt. My one concern is the smell that came from the motor; not a burning smell exactly, but not inspiring either. Would this be dust burning off, or could it be something to worry about?

Which model CS505?

One or all of these are damadged or old. (photo nicked from ebay where they charge you a tenner, but you have RS a short cycleride from you for the bits.

« Reply #4 on: 25 August, 2020, 10:48:33 am »
Everything on it is at least 38 years old!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 25 August, 2020, 01:16:17 pm »
Wait two years and give the a 40th birthday party.