Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 152862 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« on: 14 May, 2016, 11:29:36 pm »
Most of the threads here relate to specific Cal events.
The Rides and Touring board explicitly states 'Not Audax'.
So where to post 'Have you been out today', when the answer is a Perm or DIY Audax?
A thread for random Audax rides is required.

So I have been out today, and I rode the route of the old Dee - Lecht -Able 200k which used to run from my home village.
There was a serious cold headwind from the North which was a PITA on the Ballater - Dufftown Lumpy Section.
On the homeward leg, the sun came out and fried me on the Right-Hand side,

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1168112652

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2016, 08:21:23 am »
Good thread Feanor  :thumbsup: I do quite a few DIYs so will post them here. 

Looks a good ride.

paul851

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2016, 09:13:42 am »
A timely thread  8)
Yesterday I did the Saddleworth-Bowland perm starting from Sowerby Bridge rather than Uppermill , definitely a full value ride for me , getting back into Sowerby Bridge 14 hours later somewhat sun burnt and not a little tired  ;D

Paul

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2016, 02:28:49 pm »
Trip to a very sunny seaside yesterday https://www.strava.com/activities/576081162
Included a small voyage (thanks to JonB for showing the possibility).
Got my keys back.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2016, 04:27:15 pm »
Excellent idea Feanor. Most of my rides are DIY perms these days. You just keep churning them out, collecting your points and wondering why you bother with Audax at all. You could just go for a ride?  - But it's good to know you're part of something. This could be a good thread.

On Friday/Saturday I did my duty 400 GPSDIY towards my 10'th (and last) SR.
A circuit of North Wales. Sunny and scenic with just  a touch of headwind heading East.
Macclesfield - Barmouth - Caernarfon - Chester - Macclesfield.

http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/jayp/DIY400MAY2016

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2016, 06:10:40 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I had a great day out yesterday on Mark Rigby's "Sam Wellers Day Trip to Wochma".  Having DNS'd the calendar event in February due to the weather, I decided I must do the Perm.

What an absolutely gorgeous ride into the Wye Valley and the Cotswolds.  I don't know how it looks in February but in May - stunning!  Lush and green, carpets of bluebells and the scent of wild garlic.  Tintern and the Abbey - wow!  Definitely one of the best 200s I've done so far for it's beauty. 

A challenging ride at times, I didn't find it easy, but very rewarding.  I had to visit the Abbey Fryer in Tewkesbury for a fish and chip tea before packing the car!   :thumbsup:   ;D

Thanks of course to Mark for organising another superb route.

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2016, 06:13:53 pm »
JayP, that looks really nice.  Did you come across Chester in the dark/early morning?  You could call it "A Couple Of Old Bangors" - or alternatively, something sensible!

Pete

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2016, 09:49:03 pm »
JayP, that looks really nice.  Did you come across Chester in the dark/early morning?  You could call it "A Couple Of Old Bangors" - or alternatively, something sensible!

Pete

Yes very dark indeed on the Greenway and towpath thro' Chester. In fact I put my lights on at Abergele when I left Mac'D's.
I'd prefer Old Bangors to sensible but, as one Old Bangor said to another,  'don't hold your breath'  :)

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2016, 12:26:59 pm »
With the Dales Grimpeur rapidly approaching, and nothing more than a couple of DNS and a DNF to my name, I was allowed out to play yesterday as long as I was home for teatime. I left from Aberfeldy and packed as many hills as I could into a 150k, including Glen Quaich, Lawers dam road and the Schiehallion road. I saw an eagle circling at the top of the Schiehallion road (either that or it was a vulture waiting for me to expire - I was pretty close)

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8975398

Looking forward to Pateley Bridge now
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2016, 12:38:10 pm »
Trip to a very sunny seaside yesterday https://www.strava.com/activities/576081162
Included a small voyage (thanks to JonB for showing the possibility).
Got my keys back.

Ah, a significant chunk of the Hengitsbury Head route including the fab ferry crossing, looks a good day out Tony  :)

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2016, 03:43:43 pm »
With the Dales Grimpeur rapidly approaching, and nothing more than a couple of DNS and a DNF to my name, I was allowed out to play yesterday as long as I was home for teatime. I left from Aberfeldy and packed as many hills as I could into a 150k, including Glen Quaich, Lawers dam road and the Schiehallion road. I saw an eagle circling at the top of the Schiehallion road (either that or it was a vulture waiting for me to expire - I was pretty close)

Mary I've just spent some time dropping the pegman at random on your route. Terrific!!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2016, 04:01:51 pm »
We too were DIY'ing on Saturday. Took a post PBP audax sabbatical and only did our first 200km last month, so we went for a nice potter around Essex and Suffolk. From East London we headed out along dreary roads through Ilford and Romford before striking off for countryside and the Norton Heath cafe (first control and second breakfast). Then a shorter leg to Thaxted where we had planned a quick "get a chocolate bar and receipt" but it turned into a longer stop as we chatted to a couple collecting signatures to petition for 20mph/traffic calming through the village. After that we headed east to Hadleigh - via mostly deserted country lanes apart from the Sudbury gyratory. We lunched at the rather good Huffers cafe and then grabbed "proper" POPs at the cashpoint, then set off on the longest leg down to Bicknacre. My carefully planned Colchester avoidance route went a little wrong when we missed a turning so we had a brief flirtation with the Saturday afternoon out of town shopping traffic. Compared to the last time we did this DIY, I had fine tuned the route to avoid the Colchester-Tiptree-Maldon B road as much as possible - and it was definitely better with more quiet lanes. Our penultimate control was at White Elm garden centre tea room, before the last short stretch to collect the final POP at Shenfield station. Finishing there rather than having a route that goes all the way back home is a good compromise - 5 or 6 tandem friendly trains an hour and a short 18 minute trip to Stratford, against cycling back in through the dreariness but with added traffic.
Looks like (subject to validation) we've now done two consecutive months....

« Reply #12 on: 16 May, 2016, 04:17:49 pm »

So I have been out today, and I rode the route of the old Dee - Lecht -Able 200k which used to run from my home village.
There was a serious cold headwind from the North which was a PITA on the Ballater - Dufftown Lumpy Section.
On the homeward leg, the sun came out and fried me on the Right-Hand side,

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1168112652

Looks like a fine days ride, and on my doorstep too!

« Reply #13 on: 16 May, 2016, 04:20:32 pm »
:thumbsup:

I had a great day out yesterday on Mark Rigby's "Sam Wellers Day Trip to Wochma".  Having DNS'd the calendar event in February due to the weather, I decided I must do the Perm.

What an absolutely gorgeous ride into the Wye Valley and the Cotswolds.  I don't know how it looks in February but in May - stunning!  Lush and green, carpets of bluebells and the scent of wild garlic.  Tintern and the Abbey - wow!  Definitely one of the best 200s I've done so far for it's beauty. 

A challenging ride at times, I didn't find it easy, but very rewarding.  I had to visit the Abbey Fryer in Tewkesbury for a fish and chip tea before packing the car!   :thumbsup:   ;D

Thanks of course to Mark for organising another superb route.
I can agree with all of the above.I rode it a few weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot .More climbs than you would think and I had  to detour through Dymock due to a bridge closure.
The variety of scenery kept it interesting.Another superb day out on a Black Sheep event.

« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2016, 09:06:58 pm »

Mary I've just spent some time dropping the pegman at random on your route. Terrific!!
Thanks!
I never knew you could do that until now!

« Reply #15 on: 16 May, 2016, 09:11:54 pm »
I've just had a thought...

Perhaps this thread could also serve as a library of DIY routes if we post gps route for DIY by gps or a list of controls for paper DIYs

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:56:29 am »
Rode the route of the Beast from the East on the long barrow laden with food and clothes.
No DIY no cards required as it was just for the fun of it.
Cold overnight but picked up on day two.
Usual collection of breakages.
4 punctures and a slashed tyre.
Lost wheel nut was a bit scary but luckily the hub stayed on the axle or it could have been messy.
Not sure if it was on for the descent from the Blackdown hills
Made use of a crank bolt until Halfords in Winnersh provided some new bits.
Pace picked up again once we knew the machine had a chance of staying together.

And inspite of all that it was still a PB for the route  ;D

« Reply #17 on: 18 May, 2016, 01:31:11 pm »

« Reply #18 on: 18 May, 2016, 04:01:15 pm »
A very good interesting watch. (And at the end, you look ok for another round!)

« Reply #19 on: 18 May, 2016, 11:38:36 pm »
DIY 200 today with Graeme, over to Teesdale and down to Masham.

It was in the spirit of a ride my dad and his clubmates used to do in the fifties and early sixties, picking up and dropping off their mates along the way. From what I can eke out of him, it was a season-closing thrash/piss-up for hard riders and hard drinkers, up to 150 miles.

In the spirit of his ride, we had a pie-and-a-pint at Masham. Not in the spirit of his ride, we missed the A1 (though it was a close thing).

« Reply #20 on: 19 May, 2016, 07:42:40 pm »

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #21 on: 19 May, 2016, 08:20:42 pm »
Did this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEGhcx57vJ4
Thanks for posting that.
Good stuff.

Half a Twix?  HALF A TWIX?

A full body massage and a week by the pool with full waiter service more like!
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #22 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:26:24 pm »
Did this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEGhcx57vJ4

Top tip - don't stop at the top of Hartside, just hammer down to Alston for a cuppa, otherwise you'll freeze on the descent.

Well done, you nutter, and it was a lovely video. I didn't believe I'd last the whole thing, but it was a compelling watch.

« Reply #23 on: 21 May, 2016, 07:49:30 pm »
Totmonslow 200 Perm - fairly wet, very windy, the leg heading south was really tough, its never fun getting blown to a stop when heading downhill

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #24 on: 22 May, 2016, 05:49:03 pm »
A nice jaunt from Bucks, through Berks, Surrey, West and East Sussex and Kent before returning by train.  including 5 of the 100 greatest cycling climbs

https://www.strava.com/activities/584391692

first 200km was awesome, getting back to Marylebone was a nightmare.

Eddington  127miles, 170km