Author Topic: Legality or otherwise of Amazon delivery quadricycles  (Read 1570 times)

Legality or otherwise of Amazon delivery quadricycles
« on: 27 December, 2023, 05:41:29 pm »
We seen one of these several times now in and around south London. Pedal powered 4 wheeler with electric assistance (or Chris Hoy onboard), large box for storage and an enclosed cabin.  I thought a 4 wheel pedal powered vehicle was not a considered a pedelec, 2 and 3 wheel only, so are these road legal or has something changed or am I wrong (not the first time).

Theres's a YouTuber, Way out West, in the far west of Ireland who wanted to build a 4 wheel wooden 'car' with pedals and electric assistance but couldn't because of traffic regs so ended up building a 3 wheeler.  I know that's Ireland but I would think the regs are the same.

Re: Legality or otherwise of Amazon delivery quadricycles
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2023, 05:49:53 pm »
The law changed in 2015. The rules now say "pedal cycles with two or more wheels". They also removed any weight limits - it was previously 40kg for bicycle, 60kg for tricycles.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/24/contents/made
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles-eapcs/electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles-eapcs-in-great-britain-information-sheet

« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2023, 08:34:42 pm »
Damn…

No point in building an electric assist unicycle if it wouldn’t be road legal.   >:( >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2023, 11:38:20 am »
Interesting, thanks.

« Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2023, 12:08:16 pm »
Damn…

No point in building an electric assist unicycle if it wouldn’t be road legal.   >:( >:(

I am so glad that you are still Wobby, John. Long may it continue.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #5 on: 28 December, 2023, 12:36:32 pm »
Also seen, in Manchester. It immediately reminded me of the tuktuks (motor rickshaws) I saw in India 30 years ago which were based on mopeds. I wouldn't like to ride that Amazon quadricycle in a side-wind.

Incidentally. mopeds are scarce round here. The e-bike seems to be the new moped. 

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6 on: 28 December, 2023, 12:50:23 pm »
I guess it’s another form of a velomobile, albeit not quite as fast as a Quatrevelo.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: 28 December, 2023, 01:35:16 pm »
As above, the law changed in 2015, which was GB adopting the EU regulations.  For some reason I don't know, it took till 2020 for those regulations to be adopted in Northern Ireland.
I had a short test ride on an assisted quadracycle, without a cargo box, it was unnerving. I'm sure you'd get used to it, but the first step might be to forget everything you know about riding a bike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 28 December, 2023, 01:47:22 pm »
For some reason I don't know, it took till 2020 for those regulations to be adopted in Northern Ireland.

Lack of a functional government, IIRC.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 28 December, 2023, 02:47:21 pm »
Also seen, in Manchester. It immediately reminded me of the tuktuks (motor rickshaws) I saw in India 30 years ago which were based on mopeds. I wouldn't like to ride that Amazon quadricycle in a side-wind.

Incidentally. mopeds are scarce round here. The e-bike seems to be the new moped.
I don't know about 30 years ago but 15 years ago the auto rickshaws were definitely a manufacture in themselves, not based on mopeds. They are made by Piaggio, who also own Vespa and Lambretta, but they're not a like a Trykit with a motor, so to speak, they originate as three-wheelers. And I don't know but would expect electric versions are now available.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10 on: 28 December, 2023, 02:50:34 pm »
Talking of which, what happens if you take one and put the engine from one of the world's fastest motorbikes in it?
https://youtu.be/3txNgcZF4cI?si=o6FD3xmaXHzgLfCZ

« Reply #11 on: 28 December, 2023, 03:16:37 pm »
As above, the law changed in 2015, which was GB adopting the EU regulations.

So the rule must apply in Ireland then?  Is Way out West wrong in his assumption that he needs to build a 3 wheeler?

« Reply #12 on: 28 December, 2023, 07:19:03 pm »
As above, the law changed in 2015, which was GB adopting the EU regulations.

So the rule must apply in Ireland then?  Is Way out West wrong in his assumption that he needs to build a 3 wheeler?
I thought I knew the answer to that, but a quick look at the regulations, which the GB legislation, linked above, accommodates, seems to  determine what a pedelec can't be, rather than what it is.  I've just read a summary for exemption from type approval which makes several references to bicycles,  which wouldn't apply to trikes either, which leaves me even more confused.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 31 December, 2023, 12:26:23 pm »
I wouldn't like to ride that Amazon quadricycle in a side-wind.

When I worked as a cycle courier, we had a high sided trike not too dissimilar to the amazon thing (except 3 wheels obviously). I crashed it within 200m of the depot due to side wind.

It was a right of passage. Everyone who worked for the company and rode that trike had crashed it at somepoint. It was almost unridable in all but the lightest of winds. I was riding it in force 6 gale...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #14 on: 31 December, 2023, 01:24:41 pm »
On a point of extreme pedantry, a gale is force 8 & 9  :demon:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 31 December, 2023, 01:37:49 pm »

This is exactly the sort of pedantry I signed up for. Thank you!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 31 December, 2023, 03:27:56 pm »
Carrying on the pedantry, it's a rite of passage not a right. But you probably also had a right of passage along the road, at least while upright. After the crash you might have had to visit a wheelwright and then complete a write-up of how you came to be so downright wrong in riding that the company had to do a write-down of the cost of the trike. But at least no recumbents were involved!
🙃

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #17 on: 31 December, 2023, 03:37:50 pm »
Always err on the side of caution and call it a Hoolie.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk