Author Topic: What's the single worst thing about the Internet?  (Read 4748 times)

Re: What's the single worst thing about the Internet?
« Reply #50 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:10:03 pm »
Cookie popups.  It's not beyond the wit of man to make this a quick and simple intervention.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #51 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:15:14 pm »
Quote from: Polar Bear
Cookie popups.  It's not beyond the wit of man to make this a quick and simple intervention.
But then *everyone* would switch them off and *they* don't want that.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:23:31 pm »
Cookie popups are an excellent example of an unintended consequence of bad law.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #53 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:39:21 pm »
The decline and fall of Usenet, a concept that assumed people on the Internet were intelligent and well-meaning.  Oops.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #54 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:43:28 pm »
The decline and fall of Usenet, a concept that assumed people on the Internet were intelligent and well-meaning.  Oops.

No means to monetise.
Nowhere for videos of dancing pigs.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: 25 November, 2021, 08:54:21 pm »
There'd be a thriving trade in ASCII cat pictures if it wasn’t for those meddling kids Tim Berners-Lee!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #56 on: 26 November, 2021, 12:05:34 pm »
There'd be a thriving trade in ASCII cat pictures if it wasn’t for those meddling kids Tim Berners-Lee!

Don't Cry For Me Argentina was pretty good, though, if you like that sort of thing.

Whaddaya mean, it was someone else?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #57 on: 26 November, 2021, 01:17:00 pm »
Too many ways for the same people to communicate.

For a brief, halcyon period, everything went to email. Keeping up with communication with important contacts, at home or at work, meant keeping up with your email. If there was too much, you applied sorting rules and so on.

Now I get the same conversation happening partly on email, partly in WhatsApp, on Teams at work, sometimes in SMS (OK not strictly the Internet) and maybe in FB Messenger as well. And I've been forced onto all those systems, sometimes specifically against my better judgment, because I need to communicate.

I want someone to invent something that brings all messaging together into a single client. Preferably called Pegasus Mail or something.

All those and I'll add Cookies

Try living without those. By design, a Web site has the memory of a goldfish (OK that's giving goldfish a bad press, I know). But no sign-ins, no settings, your shopping basket is empty on every new page you load, all because the site can't remember you, what you were doing, or anything about you. Cookies are like most facets of modern life: they open up new possibilities that no-one wants to lose but, over-used or used in the wrong way, they can cause major problems.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 26 November, 2021, 01:40:23 pm »
Too many ways for the same people to communicate.

For a brief, halcyon period, everything went to email. Keeping up with communication with important contacts, at home or at work, meant keeping up with your email. If there was too much, you applied sorting rules and so on.

Now I get the same conversation happening partly on email, partly in WhatsApp, on Teams at work, sometimes in SMS (OK not strictly the Internet) and maybe in FB Messenger as well. And I've been forced onto all those systems, sometimes specifically against my better judgment, because I need to communicate.

I want someone to invent something that brings all messaging together into a single client. Preferably called Pegasus Mail or something.

I think the rot really set in around the time AIM was invented.

Mail and news (and later, RSS) all integrate pretty well in an appropriate client, as they have the same here-are-some-messages-for-you-to-read paradigm.  This is why web forums are bad, forcing you to read messages on someone's website rather than in your message-reading tool of choice.

All the IRC-like things also integrate pretty well in a sufficiently capable client.  Trillian and Pidgin dug us out of the fragmentation caused by everyone re-inventing ICQ.

SMS gets a pass for being a non-internet thing, but the various attempts to re-invent SMS as either an IRC-like-thing (WhatsApp, Signal, etc) or a blogging platform (Twitter) leave you with this awkward middle ground.  Slack brought IRC kicking and screaming into the Century of the Fruitbat, and then did the usual social media bastards thing of ditching the interoperability.  Simialrly, Discord's pretty good, even if nobody really knows what it's trying to be.

And then there's the corporate stuff, where if it wasn't invented by Microsoft, it has to be a second-rate proprietary product from some company you've never heard of.

The pandemic stirred it up by making people who weren't used to collaborating via computers decide that video conferencing was the best was to collaborate via computers.  Zoom had the right product at the right time.  Teams was made by Microsoft (see above).  Some people had Facetime available because iPads are the least-pain way of letting grandparents loose on the internet.  And everyone else seems to use Whataspp, which is awful at video, but Facebook has trained people to expect minimum viable usability.

It's a mess, and there's no coming back from it.  Maybe things will swing away from monolithic walled-garden providers for a bit as Facebook dies, but the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.  More likely, I see SMTP-based email (surely the last truly open standard) dying a death of a thousand over-enthusiastic spam filters - eventually, if you want to message someone on google mail, you'll need a google mail account.

ian

« Reply #59 on: 26 November, 2021, 04:02:06 pm »
P0rn. Which is now gurning tattooed people tediously grunting each other into sweaty sticky submission. The good old days of surreptitious VHS tapes featuring scenes of elegantly undressed ladies who get banged by the tradesmen who not only turn up on time but fix the washer when they'd done. Or back before pictures when we had to rely on stimulating words and I could reasonably write thundering tumescence.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 26 November, 2021, 04:15:00 pm »
That software companies get Ideas about ways to sell their product that involve neither shrink-wrapped boxes nor spiral-bound manuals.  This leads, inevitably, to Modern Life is Rubbish scenarios.  As neatly illustrated by the ViewRanger Got Borged And Now My Maps Don't Work thread.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #61 on: 26 November, 2021, 04:44:55 pm »
The worldwide platform it has given to thundering anti-vaxx arseholes who swallowed Andrew Wakefield's fraud hook, line and sinker.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #62 on: 26 November, 2021, 05:42:36 pm »
The other side of the rot was that everyone knew that email was asynchronous. I could send you an email and you would deal with it when you had time, in your time zone. The problem with any kind of instant messaging is the word instant. I'm out on my bike. You ain't gonna get instant.

And Zwift has a form of IM built into it. What? :hand:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 26 November, 2021, 05:59:47 pm »
The other side of the rot was that everyone knew that email was asynchronous. I could send you an email and you would deal with it when you had time, in your time zone. The problem with any kind of instant messaging is the word instant. I'm out on my bike. You ain't gonna get instant.

The rot set in *there* when everyone started carrying their computer around in their pocket, with an always-on wireless internet connection.  Up to the mid-noughties it was well understood that you might be disconnected or otherwise idle.

Telephones have the same problem:  Watch film or television from the 80s or earlier, and be astounded by the causal attitude that people have towards dropping whatever they're in the middle of and sprinting to answer the telephone before the caller hangs up.  These days people expect you to answer within a few seconds, even if they're calling a landline number.  Or ringing a doorbell.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #64 on: 26 November, 2021, 08:28:19 pm »
And Zwift has a form of IM built into it. What? :hand:
That's for smack talk, obvs.

"What you riding today, drossall?"
"Ur mum"
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #65 on: 26 November, 2021, 08:55:53 pm »
Conspiracy theorists, peddling their conspiracy theories.

it's quite sad, seeing someone I though of as a sensible chap, now getting deep into the "Plandemic" conspiracy theory rabbit hole.  Now he's posting stuff along the lines of "don't say we didn't warn you", then a link to covid consipracy stuff...   :-\

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #66 on: 30 November, 2021, 11:48:07 am »
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xde1y8
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #67 on: 30 November, 2021, 02:28:16 pm »

There will be an Emacs mode for that.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.