Author Topic: What have you failed to fettle today?  (Read 898 times)

What have you failed to fettle today?
« on: 27 November, 2021, 08:19:09 pm »
In the dark, in the wind, I tried to remove the battery from my Haibike. The bike store lid crashed down on my head and the wind kept battering the doors and the battery refused to budge. In the end, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and retreated inside. A quick look on YouTube shows me that I first need to remove the battery cover - that's not shown in the manual. I'll have another go in the morning...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: What have you failed to fettle today?
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2021, 08:47:54 pm »
The chain on the e-bike. I use oil from an ancient container of Phil Wood Tenacious for that bike (no derailleur) and it does indeed hold the crud tenaciously. Can’t face the post-clean clear-up operation just now.

I also have some strange noises emanating from the general motor area of that bike. Occasionally I turn the bike upside down and listen to it closely. I suspect I may have to go further. But not today. 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 27 November, 2021, 08:51:47 pm »
Today I was meant to
Sort a bike for a possible Audax tomorrow
Plug a hole in a cupboard back with steel wool
Seal round a soil pipe with Steel Wool and Caulk
Clean up in the attic after the mice/rats that seem to have buggered off having not taken any of my bait in trap or poison form.
Finally get round to changing the seals in my shower mixer unit so that it doesn't leak thus giving rats/mice something to drink from

Instead right now I'm watching Age of Empires Definitive Edition download on Steam and will soon be foraging for berries, hunting deer and beating up Romans.

« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2021, 09:26:07 pm »
The family have gone out to watch a pantomime.  I am at home cleaning and tidying.

Oh, is that the time?  Should I start yet?    TV was so interesting.  Why am I on the forum? 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2021, 09:27:23 pm »
It's behiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind you!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2021, 09:50:56 pm »
Oh no it isn't.

« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2021, 01:54:19 pm »
The winter wheels and tyres onto my car. I’m late already this year, it’s something I usually do late October or early November. But I didn’t get the tyres until 6th November (a lightly used set of “premium”Michelins from someone who’d sold their car, saving me considerable funds over a set of new mid-range tyres, and I don’t do the mileage I used to so they’ll last a few years.). Then neither of the two local garages could fit them to my rims until the 22nd. So today is the first dry day since. But goodness me it’s cold! Sunny, but 2C and breezy. Maybe if we’d still lived in the last house, with a nice big drive that I could have positioned the car on so as to get sun both sides, perhaps. But I get to park on some rough, uneven damp ground, and one side is always shaded. Brrrrrr. Next Saturday looks much better!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 28 November, 2021, 01:59:30 pm »
Seeing but as what I just bust it this morning, my rear derailleur hanger. And maybe my back wheel. <imprecations>
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 28 November, 2021, 08:47:01 pm »
I 'fitted' my mobile phone holder onto the bars of the Haibike. 'That'll do', I thought as I tightened it up. Cue the first bump across country and - flop! The rubber packing disappeared into the bridleway scenery and the phone dangled uselessly upside down.

Then, after 12 miles of cross country fun, albeit mainly frozen, I dug out the pressure sprayer to clean off lots of Warwickshire stuck to the bike. Only the crappy hose had decided to split. Cue indoor fettling to chop a bit off.

Eventually it shifted most of the crud, but by then I was rather cold.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #9 on: 28 November, 2021, 09:07:48 pm »
The new car boot liner. A day for more sheltered pursuits, not standing on the driveway in the draught.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:22:17 am »
Seeing but as what I just bust it this morning, my rear derailleur hanger. And maybe my back wheel. <imprecations>

Further to the above:

Hanger broke, chain twisted through ~45° (which resolves the issue of whether I need a new one), cable maybe buggered, derailleur dunno, chainstay got a knock but I think it's superficial.  The wheel? Ah now...

More pics if you click that one.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight