Author Topic: Mille Cymru 2018  (Read 56915 times)

Re: Mille Cymru 2018
« Reply #350 on: 01 August, 2018, 08:55:22 am »
I've started posting some photos over on my Instagram.

I carried my big camera for the full ride but didn't shoot a single shot with it, which is a bit annoying. Too busy chewing my handlebar tape to mess about with it, and the iPhone takes perfectly acceptable shots.

« Reply #351 on: 01 August, 2018, 12:45:10 pm »
I carried my big camera for the full ride but didn't shoot a single shot with it, which is a bit annoying.

I so nearly did the same. I went for a test ride with the big camera the weekend before, but found the harness I have for carrying the camera on my back wasn't great for a longer distance ride, so I'd need to put it into the panniers which would result in little usage.

As you say, the camera phone is still pretty good quality, and has the advantage that you can take the phone out and snap a photo whilst on the move, so less disruptive to riding companions.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #352 on: 01 August, 2018, 01:30:25 pm »
I carried my big camera for the full ride but didn't shoot a single shot with it, which is a bit annoying.

I so nearly did the same. I went for a test ride with the big camera the weekend before, but found the harness I have for carrying the camera on my back wasn't great for a longer distance ride, so I'd need to put it into the panniers which would result in little usage.

As you say, the camera phone is still pretty good quality, and has the advantage that you can take the phone out and snap a photo whilst on the move, so less disruptive to riding companions.
Oh it wasn't a matter of carrying it as such; Me and Deano rode the Borders of Belgium 1000 with cameras strapped to our back and used them a lot. This ride was different though, just a lot less opportunity to use them I think, due to nature of roads and it being a slightly tough.

« Reply #353 on: 10 August, 2018, 09:21:07 am »
The jerseys are available again: http://forcegb.com/club-shops/mille-cymru

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #354 on: 11 August, 2018, 09:06:58 am »
The jerseys are available again: http://forcegb.com/club-shops/mille-cymru
Thanks! I'm looking at getting a club jersey. Does anyone know if the sizing guide is accurate and whether it's best to round up if in between sizes?

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #355 on: 11 August, 2018, 01:09:14 pm »
IIRC it's the same manufacturer as LEL jerseys. I found the "event fit" to run on the large size, and especially flappy around the pecs and shoulders. I tried medium and small, but ended up swapping from event to medium club fit and that was much better fitted for me.
If you're built more like a rugby player than me, the event fit maybe ok.

« Reply #356 on: 12 August, 2018, 10:24:19 am »
I went up a size when ordering my LEL Club jersey and it fits well. You could check the LEL thread so see what others have done but IIRC, the advice was to go up a size.

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #357 on: 13 August, 2018, 08:46:20 am »
Thanks Tillapaw. I'm going to go up a size to medium as suggested.  :thumbsup:

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #358 on: 13 August, 2018, 10:42:28 am »
Thanks Tillapaw. I'm going to go up a size to medium as suggested. 
My medium comfy fit MC is a bit flapper than my equivalent medium LEL. I'm Andy's friend David with the Enigma Ti. Our paths crossed a few times. You may recall as you passed mostly on hills that I'm bigger than you. Sorry to throw a spanner.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #359 on: 13 August, 2018, 10:45:09 am »
Hi Smeth. Nice to hear from you. I've gone for the medium, but thanks for the advice.

« Reply #360 on: 20 August, 2018, 08:56:06 pm »
Just received my Brevet card in the post. I was a DNF and lost the card on the way home. The nice staff at the Lost Property Office at Arriva trains kindly posted it back :)

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #361 on: 21 September, 2018, 11:19:15 am »

My medium club jersey has arrived and the size is good. Not flappy, but a little bit of room for bulking up middle aged spread.   ;D

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #362 on: 21 September, 2018, 01:15:52 pm »

My medium club jersey has arrived and the size is good. Not flappy, but a little bit of room for bulking up middle aged spread.   ;D
Winter insulation?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #363 on: 22 September, 2018, 08:35:58 am »
Oh, I am somewhat gutted that this isn't happening next year. Does anyone have any recommendations for similarly challenging rides that are?

« Reply #364 on: 22 September, 2018, 08:43:39 am »
Not quite the same but rumour has it that TINAT will be running again:  http://tinat.cymru/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #365 on: 22 September, 2018, 12:55:34 pm »
Not quite the same but rumour has it that TINAT will be running again:  http://tinat.cymru/

Yes, it's in the organiser calendar.. June I seem to recall

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #366 on: 22 September, 2018, 06:33:25 pm »
Oh, I am somewhat gutted that this isn't happening next year. Does anyone have any recommendations for similarly challenging rides that are?
I may be proved wrong, but I think PBP qualifiers have taken most of the emphasis next year. (And Mr Corless is running less ridiculous rides to Inverness in place of the Mille Pennines.)

So you may need to travel across the channel - there is usually something bonkers in Italy, and the Mille de Sud is running I think - details vary each year.

But I HIGHLY recommend the TINAT rides :) If you really want a 1000k+ ride, just ECE one of them!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles