Author Topic: Kids bike - 24" options?  (Read 1021 times)

Kids bike - 24" options?
« on: 03 April, 2021, 04:29:35 pm »
We're replacing a frog 52 with a frog 62 but can't find any locally. Even direct from frog you're waiting until may.

I'm looking for alternatives. What we like about the frogs is the hybrid nature. They're a mtb with nobbly tyres (provided as replacement tyres with appropriate inner tubes) but standard format they're hybrid bikes with tyres suitable for long for kids rides on paved surfaces or ready off road trails. They make great touring bikes with appropriate sized rear rack. The two sets of tyres and inner tubes give them full range of uses for kids of that age. Full mtb bikes like a lot of kids models are in 24" upwards simply aren't great on road which is our most common surface for cycling.

Dies anyone know of alternatives other than expensive  islabikes which we simply do not want to stretch to price wise. Hybrids are plentiful for adults but designers think mtb bikes are the only style suitable for kids it seems to me. Ridiculous idea that is imho.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Kids bike - 24" options?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2021, 05:07:12 pm »
Dawes have some Junior bikes in 24" wheel that look quite reasonable - no idea on availability though.

You mention Islabikes - I own 6 at the moment!! - we have 4 grandchildren (2 daughters, 2 each) and I have provided Islabikes for them from a balance bike through to the 12 year old on a small road-bike.  I've bought and sold them as the children have grown into and out of them (I have 2 in "stock"!)

If you can finance an Islabike my rule of thumb is that you'll get at least 70% of what you paid back again, if they're looked after, when you sell them.   All of mine have been bought secondhand/sold either through friends or ebay.

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2021, 05:22:08 pm »
We went ridgeback for 20 and then 24" as couldn't afford isla or frog at the time. No complaints on these at all. The 20 is onto my youngest monkey having done its stint with her bigger sister

I also have a 24" dawes kinda cycle cross bike which kiwi tippers passed onto me on the proviso I do likewise when done. I'd probably rate this better then the ridgeback but does have dropped bars if that's an issue or not

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2021, 07:42:24 pm »
We went ridgeback for 20 and then 24" as couldn't afford isla or frog at the time. No complaints on these at all. The 20 is onto my youngest monkey having done its stint with her bigger sister

I also have a 24" dawes kinda cycle cross bike which kiwi tippers passed onto me on the proviso I do likewise when done. I'd probably rate this better then the ridgeback but does have dropped bars if that's an issue or not

Ah, I clean forgot Ridgeback (and I used to sell them in the LBS I used to manage) - excellent value but I understand Madison has no stock whatsoever.

« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:06:46 pm »

« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:08:12 pm »
We bought a ridgeback mx16 as it was light and cheap.  That was OK for learning on but we then got a frog 52 and it made a huge difference. A little bit cheaper than the equivalent sized ridgeback but a lot lighter. The ridgeback had got a bit bloated. Frog 52 wasn't that expensive we thought.  Between ridgeback and islabikes. Now the 62 from frog is £350. A good price for the weight and spec.

There's also the issue year designers seem to think gripshift gear changers are needed for kids this age.  Our son has only had thumb or lever shifters and he only had issues working out that high gear for downhills or fast flat and low gears for hills. Didn't take long. He doesn't like gripshift.

Also kids 24" bikes tend to be MTBs. That's a bugbear of mine. They do not actually suit the kind of riding kids do most of the time. A hybrid suits better. One that has mixed paved and easy off road is best with mtb tyres to swap over for rougher terrain trips when it 5 if they happen.

Weight of lightest 24" dawes is 11+kg. Ridgeback mx24 is 13kg or so. Frog 62 is 9.25kg. The £600 islabikes being 26 is for 62cm step over height rider is about 8.35kg, 1kg lighter than frog. Actually quite amazing but £250 buys that kilogram. The performance improvements our son would be unlikely to notice i reckon. It's more for the parents.

There's a few American kids bike brands that seem similar to frog but nobody near us sells them if indeed anyone in the UK does.

It looks like best bang for bucks is frog 62 which means a wait until May. A month without bike. Also possibly buying direct. Personally we prefer to buy local from wheelbase 20 minutes away. It's a great shop and we'd get it fitted properly with the rack fitted too for free. Then the 6 week service. They do not have any idea when they could get one. It could be weeks or several months. Not good.

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:19:45 pm »

There's also the issue year designers seem to think gripshift gear changers are needed for kids this age.  Our son has only had thumb or lever shifters and he only had issues working out that high gear for downhills or fast flat and low gears for hills. Didn't take long. He doesn't like gripshift.

Also kids 24" bikes tend to be MTBs. That's a bugbear of mine. They do not actually suit the kind of riding kids do most of the time. A hybrid suits better. One that has mixed paved and easy off road is best with mtb tyres to swap over for rougher terrain trips when it 5 if they happen.

I can't remember what model ridgeback we have in the 24 but I had similar issue in the newer ones have a suspension fork which at that price range adds unnecessary weight for not much else

I also think grip shift is fitted as a cost saving nothing to do with whats better for the little ones.

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:42:35 pm »
Islabikes beinn range has gripshift too. They're not going too cost cut when selling at £600!!!

I think it's the mistaken belief that kids struggle to understand thumbshift gear levers. It's a bit daft because kids at that age learn so quick.  They soak up knowledge and gear levers aren't going to stump them for long. I believe levers are superior to gripshift. If they weren't then you'd see more adult bikes with them.

The other feature of Islabikes is 62cm step over bike is 26" wheels on Islabikes but 24" on pretty much every other brand.

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:53:04 pm »
We have a Frog  69 Which is looking for a new home . I have been  impressed with the design & lack of weight compared with kids mtb . Rolls really well on the kenda 26" X 1.5  . My daughter had no problem with twist grip . But prefers the sti tiagra on her older sisters Trek . 
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2021, 09:36:33 pm »
He's only just big enough for frog 62. He tried a frog 67 road bike he was able to ride it but the reach was a little extreme for him. It's like stand over height wasn't a problem but he could not safely reach the hoods to shift the gears.

The gears were set up on an 8 speed 1x setup but the key sifter still had the gear levers and inside exit hole for gear cables.  Basically you could change the front chainset to a 2x with derailleur because the shifters were already there

The shifters were lever like on normal sti  ones but the down shifter was a kind of button on the inside.  Not the old Claris toe thumb shifter but a press down button. Strange I thought.

The drop bar frogs have plenty of clearance with the capability of up to 1.5"tyres. They're designed for kids to use on roads then change tyres and race cars.