Author Topic: things i don't understand  (Read 24509 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: things i don't understand
« Reply #75 on: 12 May, 2019, 11:18:16 am »
Magnetism. I don't get that either. In theory, when explained to me, I do. But then my mind turns all glassy and the explanation slides off.

I have a magnetically levitated globe in my office and every time I look at it, it makes me shiver.
magnetism is basically magic and anyone who says they understand it is a liar. Oh, sure, we know how to make it, but unlike electricary which we understand down to molecular level, no one really understands magnets. Quantum fisicist will wave their hands at you as if their explanations make perfect sense, but anyone who tells you with a straight face that a cat is both alive and dead at the same time is obviously not rite in the head and so shouldn’t be trusted with sharp objects let alone an explanation of magic.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #76 on: 12 May, 2019, 12:05:04 pm »
Anyone who's read PTerry's 'Lords And Ladies' knows that the quantum physicists have got it all wrong WRT Schrödinger's infamous thought experiment:

“In fact, the mere act of opening the box will determine the state of the cat, although in this case there were three determinate states the cat could be in: these being Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious.”
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #77 on: 12 May, 2019, 12:18:15 pm »
Yes, I understand that. It makes sense, but when you list the shapes it sounds bonkers.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #78 on: 12 May, 2019, 01:17:27 pm »
Like two blokes in a Fiat Uno?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #79 on: 12 May, 2019, 01:25:02 pm »
To be honest it would be remarkable if a species of ape that recently evolved on the african savannah could understand quantum mechanics.

We've done well to get this far.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #80 on: 12 May, 2019, 04:54:26 pm »
The savannahs haven't, though.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #81 on: 12 May, 2019, 05:05:14 pm »
I don't understand why anyone invented Belgium. And, before you say beer and chocolate I'd like to point out that they were invented elsewhere but brought to a reasonable point of perfection out of boredom.

I thought it was invented by the British to annoy the French.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #82 on: 13 May, 2019, 04:48:02 pm »
I thought it was the Spanish annoying the Dutch.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #83 on: 13 May, 2019, 06:35:56 pm »
I don't understand why anyone invented Belgium. And, before you say beer and chocolate I'd like to point out that they were invented elsewhere but brought to a reasonable point of perfection out of boredom.

If you didn't have Belgium, you wouldn't have the saxophone (Nicknack otp may have something to say about that) or Rene Magritte, or Eddy Merxxcxxcxx.

« Reply #84 on: 13 May, 2019, 06:45:58 pm »
I'd always wondered about why Belgium until I went there.
It's the Catholic* portion of the Low Countries. The Protestant bit fought the Spanish (the 80 years war) and eventually got independence.
The Catholic bit remained under Hapsburg control for sometime.
I think the current monarchy was first introduced after the fall of Napoleon.

*: there were more Jesuits in what's now Belgium during the Counter-Reformation than in the whole of France. It really was seen as the front line in a religious war.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #85 on: 14 May, 2019, 05:51:36 am »
if you didn't have Belgium then you wouldn't have Heart of Darkness, or Apocalypse Now
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #86 on: 14 May, 2019, 08:02:05 am »

If you didn't have Belgium, you wouldn't have the saxophone (Nicknack otp may have something to say about that) or Rene Magritte, or Eddy Merxxcxxcxx.
Indeed, although Adolphe Sax could have been born somewhere else I suppose.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #87 on: 14 May, 2019, 08:18:25 am »
If you didn't have Belgium you wouldn't have chips. Not the sealed kind, the Freedom Fries kind.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #88 on: 14 May, 2019, 09:10:40 am »
if you didn't have Belgium then you wouldn't have Heart of Darkness, or Apocalypse Now
Although the Congo wasn't Belgian, it was Leopold's personal backyard, and genocidal maniacs get born all over the world.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #89 on: 14 May, 2019, 10:30:09 am »
After doing dirty jobs my fingernails get dirt underneath so I clean them with any convenient pointy object. What I don't understand is why, despite not doing any further dirty work, they turn black again within hours.

fuzzy

« Reply #90 on: 14 May, 2019, 11:06:08 am »
If we didn't have Belgium, we wouldn't have Belgian Beer!

The Horror!

« Reply #91 on: 14 May, 2019, 11:29:17 am »
If we didn't have Belgium, we wouldn't have Belgian Beer!

The Horror!

It would probably mean that, depending on the historical breaks, southern Dutch or northern French beer would be more interesting instead.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #92 on: 14 May, 2019, 11:32:39 am »
After doing dirty jobs my fingernails get dirt underneath so I clean them with any convenient pointy object. What I don't understand is why, despite not doing any further dirty work, they turn black again within hours.

The only way to clean my fingernails properly is to wash my hair I have found. Or an old fashioned nail brush but that's painful !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #93 on: 14 May, 2019, 11:35:35 am »
I quite like Belgium. Admittedly, they go to bed early, as we discovered earlier this year when trying to eat in Mechelen at 9pm.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #94 on: 14 May, 2019, 11:56:00 am »
I quite like Belgium. Admittedly, they go to bed early, as we discovered earlier this year when trying to eat in Mechelen at 9pm.

Mechelen :( You have my sympathy

ian

« Reply #95 on: 14 May, 2019, 12:07:15 pm »
It's not so bad, we found a nice bar in the end and drank some excellent beers into the early hours.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #96 on: 14 May, 2019, 12:17:36 pm »
I used to be there every month so rather exhausted its charms.

ian

« Reply #97 on: 14 May, 2019, 12:21:08 pm »
It's the sort of place that fills an evening, provided you don't plan a late night. I learned about the minuscule size of beaver testicles from a noticeboard at the zoo, which was a big plus.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #98 on: 14 May, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »

The only way to clean my fingernails properly is to wash my hair I have found. Or an old fashioned nail brush but that's painful !

Washing dishes by hand is quite effective.
Muck will build up under the nails if you scratch your head, back or elsewhere...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #99 on: 14 May, 2019, 12:33:33 pm »
Sounds like you're not biting your nails properly...