Author Topic: Van Gaal - just like all the rest?  (Read 5290 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Van Gaal - just like all the rest?
« Reply #25 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:54:57 am »
It also upsets the players when you get the draw wrong! Aspiring/top chess players like to look up their next opponent's games so that they can see what openings they play. A few years ago in the Essex Championship I published the draw at least an hour in advance of the round and then discovered that I'd made a pretty fundamental mistake with the draw. Because it was a late round, and quite a few of the top players had already played one another, I had to do an almost complete redraw of the top half. One chap had gone away and studied the games of a bloke he was no longer going to play and was rather miffed when he returned only to find he was now going to play someone else.

Of course, when you only play two games a week that sort of error wouldn't happen.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #26 on: 26 January, 2015, 03:42:00 pm »
It also upsets the players when you get the draw wrong! Aspiring/top chess players like to look up their next opponent's games so that they can see what openings they play. A few years ago in the Essex Championship I published the draw at least an hour in advance of the round and then discovered that I'd made a pretty fundamental mistake with the draw. Because it was a late round, and quite a few of the top players had already played one another, I had to do an almost complete redraw of the top half. One chap had gone away and studied the games of a bloke he was no longer going to play and was rather miffed when he returned only to find he was now going to play someone else.

I assume you woke up to find a tiny wooden horse's head in your bed.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 26 January, 2015, 03:50:41 pm »

I assume you woke up to find a tiny wooden horse's head in your bed.

So far as I recall, the said player was not in the habit of playing the Giuoco Piano (aka the Italian Opening).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.