Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 999816 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Seen today
« on: 28 March, 2008, 11:48:10 pm »
Not by me, but the Southend RSPB website claims that a swallow was seen in Gunners Park, Shoeburyness, yesterday. It wants its head examined.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Re: Seen today
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2008, 12:39:35 pm »
Tadpoles! No doubt about it. Very small, still clinging to the spawn. It's the first time in about 4 years that the Priory Park frogspawn has made it this far.

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2008, 12:53:06 pm »

Thanks for starting this thread, Wow--I was hoping you would.

Nothing to report from here yet today except a tufted titmouse at the feeder; haven't been out of the house yet.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2008, 12:43:22 pm »
Heard a chiffchaff in Priory Park. Also saw the parakeet again from a distance. Other than that, the usual stuff.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2008, 04:17:56 pm »
2 of the Moray Firth dolphins throwing their fish around.
Some tourist eagles buzzards, as usual.
A small ex-badger  :'(
A wooderypeckery
A teeny tiny lamb! I've never seen one that small before.  :-* It was all covered in fluff (perhaps it was lamugo?).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2008, 06:05:33 pm »
Went to look for the kingfisher at the east end of Two Tree Island, but he wasn't there. There were mallards, coots, blackheaded gulls and a couple of kestrels.

At the other end, on the lagoon, there were loads of avocets. Someone told me that 75 had been counted. That's only 149 avocet legs though: I saw one which had only 50% of the normal number.

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2008, 07:18:43 pm »
a northern flicker (woodpecker) drumming on top of a lamp fixture in the parking lot
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Si

« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2008, 01:31:25 pm »
Saw a squeasel (or possibly a big stoat, can never remember which is which) darting across the road today...don't often see them around here.

« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2008, 01:43:24 pm »
Weasels are the tiny little ones. Stoats are quite big.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2008, 11:09:25 pm »
Saw a squeasel (or possibly a big stoat, can never remember which is which)

One is weasily identified, the other is stoatally different.

Alright, alright, I'm getting me coat  :-[

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2008, 02:56:02 pm »

This fellow and his mate in our garden at the weekend.

border-rider

froggy did awooing go
« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »
#

Our little garden pond is seething with randy frogs

« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2008, 04:22:59 pm »
Three hinds, running across the field only 50 yards from me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

aglet

« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2008, 05:24:29 pm »
A heron, landing on this roof
near Victoria Park.

Last year I saw a cormorant in this stretch of canal eating an eel, perhaps I should have built a temple.

« Reply #14 on: 06 April, 2008, 03:56:33 pm »

Bit late, but was away. On 02/04/08 in Tissington (Derbyshire) two swallows, which obviously had not read the weather forecast

Si

« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2008, 11:22:35 am »
A fox having a sneezing fit.  He was stood ont he next plot along from my allotment, doing foxy creeping things with his eyes on some pigeons.  Sudden;y starts sneezing, each sneeze moving him back a few inches.  Went on like this for aroud three minutes then, rather pensively looked around to see if anyone had seen him, saw myself and birds watching him and sulked off into the undergrowth with an even redder look to his cheeks!

« Reply #16 on: 08 April, 2008, 11:58:21 am »
Was driving back home late last night (about 2:30am) and saw two barn owls. Lovely.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Chris N

« Reply #17 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:29:58 am »
Cheating really, but I saw a flock of flamingos this morning, here.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #18 on: 10 April, 2008, 09:42:20 pm »
On Monday morning we saw a hen harrier (female) quite close to the top of the Bolderwood Ornamental Drive in the New Forest.

On Tuesday evening we watched a pair of badgers eating peanuts from a tray from a distance of about 20 feet,in the garden of the B & B we were staying at.

On Wednesday we saw a nuthatch in what is claimed to be Britain's largest London Plane at the Mottisfont Priory.

Yesterday, we were drinking in the Cuckoo in Hamptworth when a chiffchaff came into the bar, hovered around for a bit and then flew out again.

This morning I saw my first house martin of the year, not far from Fritham.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19 on: 13 April, 2008, 06:01:28 pm »
The following small rabbit sat in the middle of the road. When I tried to shift it it ran slowly round in a circle. I managed to pick it up and put onto the verge so it wouldn't get run over. It seemed like it wasn't in very good shape though  :(

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #20 on: 14 April, 2008, 06:52:48 pm »
First swallow of the year, yesterday while on the Witham Wander.

Heard the first whitethroat of the year this morning on 2 tree island.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #21 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:06:04 pm »
The following small rabbit sat in the middle of the road. When I tried to shift it it ran slowly round in a circle. I managed to pick it up and put onto the verge so it wouldn't get run over. It seemed like it wasn't in very good shape though  :(

Its probably likely to have mixy :(

« Reply #22 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:59:01 pm »
Can't see any sign of the myx - on a road,  more likely it had been hit and was dazed and confused.

Reminds me of this one.

Woken up by a male pheasant and its mate making a hell of a racket - I looked out and there was a rook pecking at something on the ground, and the pheasants were trying to drive it off. My guess was the rook was after one of their young, but when I went to investigate it turned out the rook had been after the baby bunny - makes me think those pheasants had lost their young to rooks in the past!

« Reply #23 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:06:13 pm »
Seen on Sunday when we had all that snow: a fox running across our shed roof (which is an access point for local cats) in broad daylight.

Seen on Monday in the Barnes Wetlands Centre: a green woodpecker which swooped down right over our heads. My mum, who's an avid spotter, was very excited as that's a first for her. Obviously all the other birds and ducks don't count, taking into account where we were...

Seen today: mallard ducklings and baby coots on the pond on Wandsworth Common. Everyone say "aaaawwww".

« Reply #24 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:46:23 am »
When I was in Richmond Park with my friend the other day, a great big crow started rifling in our open panniers (we'd stopped to have a snack). Cheeky sod!