Author Topic: CHKDSK at startup everytime...  (Read 1339 times)

CHKDSK at startup everytime...
« on: 22 December, 2018, 05:40:59 pm »
We have a laptop that wants to run CHKDSK every startup (win10), and has a countdown to stop it (press any key).  However if one does not press any key to stop, nothing seems to happen anyway, and it goes straight to desktop.   Any ideas?  How do I turn off the countdown at every boot...

edit.   Ran GlaryUtil, it found errors and indexing probs, and fixed them.  However laptop still doing the disk checking message, then not proceeding with any checking.

Google suggests I need to edit the registry...

edit2:    I ran chkntfs c: , and got  "c: is not dirty"
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: CHKDSK at startup everytime...
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2018, 09:23:36 pm »
From Windows have you opened a DOS box as Administrator, and run Chkdsk /f, and then does it actually run when the laptop is re-started?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2018, 09:40:01 pm »
From Windows have you opened a DOS box as Administrator, and run Chkdsk /f, and then does it actually run when the laptop is re-started?

Thanks.  edit.  Yes, chkdsk runs (scanning & repairing) at startup, when I set chkdsk /f...

edit2. took the plunge and changed* Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager   autocheck autochk *  to autocheck autochk /k:C*  as per a YT video...  :o   

It did the trick, but any 'implications' of doing this change to normal use?

* after a system restore point created.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2018, 11:56:23 am »
It just means it won't be checking the C: drive at start up anymore.  So perhaps just manually run a chkdsk /f every now & then?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2018, 01:47:46 pm »
It just means it won't be checking the C: drive at start up anymore.  So perhaps just manually run a chkdsk /f every now & then?

Thanks.  I wonder why the chkdsk began counting down, and not checking, at startup in the first place.  I checked and the disk "is not dirty".

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2018, 09:16:05 pm »
I wonder why the chkdsk began counting down, and not checking, at startup in the first place.  I checked and the disk "is not dirty".

Windows update could be a culprit.  I think it might just be one of them the PC just doesn't like.