Author Topic: To tubeless or not to tubeless  (Read 51604 times)

Re: To tubeless or not to tubeless
« Reply #375 on: 30 December, 2018, 08:25:20 pm »
IME tubeless tyres vary in how much air they lose. Same wheels, same tyres, same valves, same tape, same sealant, same installation method.

I've even had the phantom overnight huge  pressure loss occurrence. Pump them up in the morning and they stay inflated for days. Weird.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #376 on: 01 January, 2019, 02:21:06 pm »
Redid the taping of the MTB rims yesterday, 2 layers of the tesa 4289 tape, along with the joe's no flats rubber rim strip.

Tyres inflated without any difficulty using the track pump.  120 ml of sealant added to each tyre last night, inflated them to 30psi. No drop in pressure overnight, so a quick 31km for a test ride today through some woodland and coastal path.

No issues at all it seems :-)  :thumbsup:

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #377 on: 07 January, 2019, 12:58:48 am »
Unfortunately found that the front wheel was losing air fast when 100 km in to the poor student the other day and had to stop and out in a tube at the next control.

The rear wheel has held up magnificently which is confusing as I thought it was sustaining most of the aggro.

I have faith I can make it work so will take another crack in my next fettling session once my special tubeless pump stuff arrives. I really want to be tubeless for Paris Roubaix.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #378 on: 13 January, 2019, 03:35:11 pm »
Redid the taping of the MTB rims yesterday, 2 layers of the tesa 4289 tape, along with the joe's no flats rubber rim strip.

Tyres inflated without any difficulty using the track pump.  120 ml of sealant added to each tyre last night, inflated them to 30psi. No drop in pressure overnight, so a quick 31km for a test ride today through some woodland and coastal path.

No issues at all it seems :-)  :thumbsup:

Still no leaks either! I was half expecting to pop into the shedde this afternoon, to see the tubeless conversion with flat tyres. But no, they were still sitting at 30psi front and rear!  :thumbsup:

bludger

« Reply #379 on: 13 January, 2019, 04:13:52 pm »
Had a bad run in with a sharp object yesterday which put a very big and un-sealable tear in the rear tyre.

Since I've only had the bastard since Boxing Day I am attempting to repair it with stitching and then a tubeless repair kit.

I expect that it'll run best with a tube inside it (which is a shame) but I am tempted to try to mount it tubelessly again depending on how I think the repair has gone.

Will keep you posted!

Ban cars.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #380 on: 13 January, 2019, 04:31:18 pm »
it's advisable to cover the outer stitching with the shoe goo, to prevent it from abrasion and undoing

bludger

« Reply #381 on: 13 January, 2019, 04:37:05 pm »
where can you get shoe goo from? have shopped around online but would prefer to not pay a fortune for shipping for a toothpaste tube (amazon are quoting £6 postage!).

Ban cars.