Author Topic: Windows 10 screwing up file associations  (Read 1876 times)

Windows 10 screwing up file associations
« on: 25 February, 2017, 05:59:45 pm »
If I click on a .doc or .docx file, it opens it in some ghastly-looking new version of word, with limited facilities, & demands that I activate it (for a fee).

I've been through the ludicrously cumbersome procedure (it was easy in older versions of Windows - why did they break it?) to re-associate my old copy of Word with those file types, but it doesn't take effect.

Same for Excel & Powerpoint.

If I open the program first, then open the file from within it, everything works perfectly.

What is wrong? How do I get back to where I was a few hours ago? It was absolutely fine this morning.

Weirder & weirder. The other user on this device is still working just as it always has been. The file associations are fine there. But not in this user.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Re: Windows 10 screwing up file associations
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2017, 07:36:19 pm »
Something changing file associations on a very common suit of programs and demanding money.

I'd run a malware scan sharpish.

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2017, 08:23:10 pm »
Well what have you done in the last few hours that's changed things?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2017, 10:11:02 am »
Well what have you done in the last few hours that's changed things?

My money would be on Windows updating itself without Bledlow's knowledge or consent.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2017, 11:14:10 am »
How do I get back to where I was a few hours ago? It was absolutely fine this morning.

Use Task Manager to identify where the executables are for the nagware versions of Word and Powerpoint, and delete (or rename) them.

Then the next time you double-click on a .doc or .ppt file, Windows should ask you what application you want to associate with them, and you can select the original file associations.

« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2017, 05:26:43 pm »
That broke it. It says something's gone wrong, it can't open the program, & do I want to tell Microsoft? It does open the old version of Word, but not the document I clicked on. I have to open that from within Word. That hadn't stopped working, BTW. I could open the desired version of Word, & then open a document from within it, but that's a drag I'd like to avoid.

I'd already tried, several times, to change the file associations back, & it was ignored.

I hate Microsoft.

I think Mr L probably has it, but I wish I knew why it changed my user (the administrator) but not Mrs B's.

zendog - Microsoft is demanding money, to activate newer versions of Word, etc.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2017, 05:30:13 pm »
I have a very old version of MS Office.  Occasionally MS ask if I would like to register it.  No, I would NOT like to register it and doubly NOT so now.

It works ok but .docx s have to be made into .docs. Otherwise I like it just as it is.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2017, 05:44:35 pm »
I created a new user account, & everything's fine there. I wish I knew WTF is going on.

I tried this in the buggered account  - Control Panel - Programs & Features - Repair Program  on my old copy of Office 2003 Professional (bought for £17 through Vodafone when I worked  for 'em).

It now works, but I'm getting annoying messages about something going wrong. Because the Office 365 'click to run' thing isn't there (renamed)? It'd be nice to stop them.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 26 February, 2017, 07:33:05 pm »
A Win 10 update frequently changes the default progs here - it tries to force Edge Browser for browsing and opening pdfs (where I want to use Firefox and Adobe Acrobat full version) - and sometimes it changes the default for gpx files that I want to use Memory Map.   I deleted all the stuff about the MS Office licence/subscription plan etc when I upgraded (or better described as "changed to") to Win 10

Easy to fix ... and I have managed to totally disable Edge so regardless of what MS tries to with updates etc do it just doesn't work  :thumbsup:  (Googling will tell you how to do it - by renaming some files somewhere in the System folder)

Rob

« Reply #9 on: 26 February, 2017, 08:24:09 pm »
Thanks. I'll look with that in mind.

I've not had W10 long. It was precipitated by failing hardware, not any dissatisfaction with W7 or hankering for new features.

« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2017, 05:58:23 pm »
I am just back from a client who upgraded to Win 10.   The upgrade process appears to have removed Apache Open Office and Kaspersky internet security replacing the latter with Windows Defender and the former with prompts to a free trial for Office 365.   Yes, she's been without office for a few months!   ???

I have installed Apache Open Office and found my way through the OS to set her document defaults to OO.   She decided to leave Defender as her Kaspersky subs were due in a couple of weeks.

It was my first play with 10 and the gui is quite good - miles better than 8 or 8.1 imo.   I'm not convinced of enough benefit yet though to swap from 7 until I do a mass hardware upgrade.

« Reply #11 on: 13 March, 2017, 04:07:37 pm »
Had to play a bit more today with win 10.   Have to say that I find it much more intuitive than 8 ever was.   I could live with it if I had to,