Author Topic: New Event for September - Ride the Trafalgar Way 500km  (Read 3400 times)

New Event for September - Ride the Trafalgar Way 500km
« on: 12 July, 2019, 10:40:11 am »
I have a new event on the Calendar for September on the 28th... Ride the Trafalgar Way 500km

The Ride the Traflgar Way route broadly follows that taken in November 1805, after the Battle of Trafalgar took place on 21st October. News of the British Navy victory, as well as the death of Admiral Lord Nelson needed to be sent back to the Admiralty, London. Lieutenant John Richards Lapenotiere was handed despatches and ordered to sail and deliver them to the Admiralty as soon as possible. When his ship landed just off the coast of Falmouth on 4th November, so would begin his epic 38 hour journey post chaise (via a horse drawn coach) to London, making 21 stops along the way to change horses. The route taken is now known as the Trafalgar Way. In 2005 (as part of the bicentenary celebrations) Axminster renamed a section of road in the town to The Trafalgar Way.

Over 200 years later riders will closely follow that journey, passing through all but one of the 21 stopping locations (the route doesn’t go through Woodyates), only this time on their bicycle! Ps The inaugural RTTW Audax will finish on Nelson’s birthday 29th September (1758) You will pass through the cities, towns and villages of Truro, Fraddon, Bodmin, Minion Launceston and Okehampton before passing Dartmoor and descending into the cathedral city of Exeter, Honiton, Axminster - passing along a road renamed The Trafalgar Way in 2005, then onwards to Bridport cycling along the Jurassic Coast, Dorchester and Blandford Forum before passing through the cathedral city of Salisbury, Andover, Overton, Basingstoke, Hartley Wintney, Camberley and Sunningdale before heading into central London via Parliament Square finishing at Admiralty House, Whitehall.

I rode the event last year in its sportive format and loved the route and the history of the journey! So teamed up with the organiser to put this on as an Audax for the first time. Online entry is at :

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-215/

You can view the route at :

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27705953

Please note route is correct but I will be adjusting the controls and food stops as this version has some of the previous controls listed from the Sportive event.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: New Event for September - Ride the Trafalgar Way 500km
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2019, 10:43:37 am »
Arrrrrgh this is 2 days before I go to Spain. Bummer.

I would be super keen for more rides which start outside of London and finish at it or thereabouts.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2019, 01:05:45 pm »
I like the look of that but will have to be next year.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2019, 07:07:36 pm »
Arrrrrgh this is 2 days before I go to Spain. Bummer.

I would be super keen for more rides which start outside of London and finish at it or thereabouts.
Ditto. Bu99er - I'd gotten  all excited. Just a week too late, really. Ah well ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:26:42 pm »
Was thinking I could take the sleeper train down for this, but looks like the times don't quite line up. Probably can't get the Friday off but I'll see.

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2019, 07:49:07 pm »
So that fella back in the day took 38 hours? He would have been OOT then  ;D

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2019, 09:54:13 am »
I'm riding this as a route check tomorrow. Looking forward to it - especially because the route - and the weather - look rather good.

I'll report back when I've done ...

Still not too late for entries by the way ... just saying :-)

« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2019, 08:56:22 pm »
Well, that didn't go as I'd hoped - I packed at Exeter after being blown all over the road by some nasty gusts.

It's a shame because the route up until then had been great. It's a lovely mixture of lanes, scenery, hills and some bypassed A roads.

There were lots of fallen beech nuts everywhere too which crackled under the tyres quite alarmingly at times ! I suppose the strong easterly wind must have knocked them off over the last few days.

« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2019, 11:50:24 am »
Has this been assessed for AAA? I reckon there’s 4-5 points in the first 300-350 km.

(Not that I want them!)

« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2019, 12:20:01 pm »
Having exhausted my options for cycle reservations on every possible train service it looks like its a one way hire car to the start. GWR's Hitachi trains properly suck balls.

« Reply #10 on: 26 September, 2019, 07:12:05 pm »
Rider confirmation emails and a final update have just been sent out. If anyone has not received them PM me and I will send you the info... 

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday  :)

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #11 on: 26 September, 2019, 08:13:15 pm »
Just been looking at all the infos. As someone who is colour blind there will be a lot of interesting answers  :facepalm: :facepalm:

« Reply #12 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:49:34 pm »
Best of luck to all the riders: rain off and on (mostly 'on') but a stonking tailwind.

« Reply #13 on: 27 September, 2019, 11:39:01 pm »
And see you all at Victory Villa, Nelson Road for the Salisbury control. Bon Courage!

« Reply #14 on: 28 September, 2019, 12:06:16 pm »
Bon route everyone else. I jumped on a train at Liskeard after completely forgetting why I like cycling!

« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2019, 04:55:49 pm »
I bailed after about 5 km having fallen off the back already, because I know by then i didn’t have it in me, and going back to bed remained a possibility.

Good luck everyone. The Weather has just hit Cornwall. Hopefully it won’t catch you up.

Phil W

« Reply #16 on: 29 September, 2019, 09:52:54 am »
Any news on the Battle of Trafalger, how are the messengers getting on?

« Reply #17 on: 29 September, 2019, 10:32:29 am »
Having exhausted my options for cycle reservations on every possible train service . . . GWR's Hitachi trains properly suck balls.
Bon route everyone else. I jumped on a train at Liskeard after completely forgetting why I like cycling!
Did you need to make a forward cycle reservation on this GWR train or were the GWR agreeably flexible? How fortunate that GWR run a regular service, 7 days a week, from/to the south west to/from less attractive areas of the country. Was there a tailwind?

« Reply #18 on: 29 September, 2019, 10:54:40 am »
I spent far too long obtaining a bike reservation on the GWR website* an couple of hours in advance and then the train was empty and the guard didn't bother checking it. Ticket was rather pricey though.

(* which shows the "some of your legs don't have bike reservations!" warning even when there's (a) only one leg and (b) it shows as having one)

« Reply #19 on: 29 September, 2019, 12:29:05 pm »
Very wet and bedraggled riders through Salisbury control into the wee hours of the morning. It wasn't pretty out there! Well done all and I hhope you all make it to The Admiralty, especially Lee to finish off a cracking season, and good luck to Gary who no doubt is still out there; 3rd time lucky!

Thanks to my mum for donating her house for the night, and dad for staying up to chat. Some of the riders may have seen my returning little bro, he'd just got back from a 500 too, walking through the wilderness of Sweden solo! I'm knackered and I wasn't even riding...

« Reply #21 on: 30 September, 2019, 04:10:03 pm »
Well that was some weekend!! A very wet and windy event and it certainly took its toll on the riders, despite some pretty crazy weather 15 completed the event out of 28 starters. Can't thank everyone enough who took part and of course all the volunteers. It was great to run the first Audax version of the event to coincide with Nelson's birthday but next year I think we will move it back to a summer date for some hopefully more favourable weather!

I have posted some photos up on facebook at  - https://www.facebook.com/pg/AudaxBristol/photos/?tab=album&album_id=3100132526695024

And a full set of rider portraits and other images can be viewed at - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/94m2sdyx668ya3a/AAA3bD_ocA4CH3gMMOTjtnkYa?dl=0

« Reply #22 on: 30 September, 2019, 04:11:34 pm »