Author Topic: Startling example of the falling cost of technology  (Read 9546 times)

Startling example of the falling cost of technology
« on: 24 April, 2008, 11:42:13 am »
It seems Seagate have recently shipped their billionth hard drive. The amazing thing is comapring the cost per megabyte of the first 5 Mb ones they shipped back in 1979 and a current 1 terabyte Seagate drive.

1979 cost = $300 per megabyte
2008 cost = $0.0002 per megabyte

Amazing isn't it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Startling example of the falling cost of technology
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:53:26 am »
And today I've got a thing the size of a fag lighter with more than seven times the storage capacity of the first VAX I drove (an RA80 and an RA81 - 19" wide and about a foot thick).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:00:35 pm »
And today I've got a thing the size of a fag lighter with more than seven times the storage capacity of the first VAX I drove (an RA80 and an RA81 - 19" wide and about a foot thick).

You had a ride on Vax?  :o   The carpets are Larrington Towers must have been spotless!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:07:51 pm »

I used to drive a VAX. I was the hottest DCL programmer in the company.
a great mind thinks alike

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:11:19 pm »

I still am ;D

« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:11:46 pm »

Our VAXen used to overheat too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:20:16 pm »
In 2005 I wanted an MP3 player for Christmas. A Creative 512mb cost £70. The next year, I got an MP3 player, a 1gb Sandisk for £30. And a couple of months ago I got a 2gb Sandisk for £15.

Strange.  :)

« Reply #7 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:21:37 pm »
Then Hoover (I think it was) brought out a vacuum cleaner called the Vax, with the slogan "Nothing sucks like a Vax"...and that was the end of DEC.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:44:35 pm »
The last vax I had the dubious pleasure of working on used to quite literally fall over.  The fact it was over loaded with disks that all seemed to be out of sync, and was stood of wobbly Daxian racking probably had something to do with it....

Oh and it always seemed to co-incide with a month or quarter end (bl**dy accountants)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:49:24 pm »
not really 'technology', but how can an umbrella (1.99) cost less than a coffee (2.30)?

either we're getting screwed by the coffeeshop or we're screwing the chinese labourers in the umbrella factories.  I suspect both.

« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:57:48 pm »
I used to be a VAX BOFH, I remember the RA80s well . . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:58:02 pm »
Ahh, VAXen. Fond memories.
I did most of my PhD on a VAX, and had essentially my own VAXstation 3000 in the computer room.
PhD was all done in TeX - but strangely enough laser printers in them there days cost $$$$$ and I had to print it off on the one laser printer the department had - in East Kilbride at the reactor centre (department was at Glasgow Uni)

The experiment I was a member of at CERN used VAX clusters for simulation and processing - VAXes were really easy to cluster. We had several clusters which reached the maximum limit of 128 - VAXstations rather than 19inch 'real' VAXen.
Lots of happy hours spent in experimental "barns" at the test beam though, using a real VAX to gather beamline test data from our calorimeter.

An experimental barn being a portakabin in a huge experimental hall, equipped with terminals and the essential coffee maker.

Oh, and I forgot my own lovely terminal (arrggg - I forget the brand).
It was the type that either emulated a VT220 or a Tektronix raster terminal.
That was in the days when Real Computing (TM) was done with green text on a serial terminal, and to get graphics you needed a separate graphics display.
My terminal neatly switched between them.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12 on: 24 April, 2008, 01:20:08 pm »

Our VAXen used to overheat too.

So did some of ours, on Friday evenings.  When the BOFH i/c the development cluster wanted to get the developers off the system so they could start the backups, one method was to bung a couple of sheets of line printer paper under the cabinet.  With hilarious consequences ;D

« Reply #13 on: 24 April, 2008, 01:30:56 pm »
not really 'technology', but how can an umbrella (1.99) cost less than a coffee (2.30)?

Or bottled water costing more than petrol/gasoline (true in the UK with the overpriced bottles of water in petrol stations but I definitely saw it when I was living in the US and it was $0.75 for a US gallon of gas).

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #14 on: 24 April, 2008, 04:11:59 pm »
Or bottled water costing more than petrol/gasoline (true in the UK with the overpriced bottles of water in petrol stations but I definitely saw it when I was living in the US and it was $0.75 for a US gallon of gas).

But then I guess bottled water, especially when from places like the Peak District or even Abroad, have taken a lot of oil to make the packaging, and also fuel to transport them.  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 24 April, 2008, 04:19:47 pm »
But then I guess bottled water, especially when from places like the Peak District or even Abroad, have taken a lot of oil to make the packaging, and also fuel to transport them.  ;D

And how does the petrol get to the petrol station? :)

« Reply #16 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:33:56 pm »
In 2005 I wanted an MP3 player for Christmas. A Creative 512mb cost £70. The next year, I got an MP3 player, a 1gb Sandisk for £30. And a couple of months ago I got a 2gb Sandisk for £15.

Strange.  :)

I haven't the prices, but as a rough estimate...

2006, needed a SD card for the camera so decided to buy one in Singapore on the way out.  £x for 1Gb (plus 10 minutes astonishment at 1Gb being available!)

2007, popped into Walmart in the USA as we needed a new card.  4Gb for £x/4.

Maladict

« Reply #17 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

either we're getting screwed by the coffeeshop or we're screwing the chinese labourers in the umbrella factories.  I suspect both.

Go to the man on Market Square; 1.80 for a large cappuccino.  Made me hyper yesterday too.   :thumbsup:

gonzo

« Reply #18 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:49:38 pm »
I broke my 2 year old USB stick a month back. Went to replace it and got something 4x the size for half the price and 1/2 the size!

Lonewolff

« Reply #19 on: 25 April, 2008, 08:24:25 am »
Inm work we purchase USB stick my the box. The sticks have always been around the same price for the last 3 years, just every time we buy the capacity increases. We are charged about £6 and when I started this was for a 128mb stick, now we get 2GB for the same price.

« Reply #20 on: 25 April, 2008, 10:44:15 am »
I bought a Diamond Rio PMP300 with 32MB in September 1998 for US$200 on the day they went on sale, it was delivered the next day. Still have it somewhere.

Used to use it for cycling after I re-encoded some dodgy trance at 56kbps mono so I could get more than an hour on it.

Dave

« Reply #21 on: 25 April, 2008, 10:51:08 am »
I bought a Diamond Rio PMP300 with 32MB in September 1998 for US$200 on the day they went on sale, it was delivered the next day. Still have it somewhere.

Used to use it for cycling after I re-encoded some dodgy trance at 56kbps mono so I could get more than an hour on it.

I had one of those. 1999-ish I think. Must have cost me well over £100.

I also remember the crowds of people surrounding the first kid in my school to turn up with a Sony Walkman...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #22 on: 25 April, 2008, 10:56:10 am »
I also remember the crowds of people surrounding the first kid in my school to turn up with a Sony Walkman...

I remember when we were so amazingly primitive that we thought digital watches were a pretty neat idea ;D

Dave

« Reply #23 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:29:47 am »

I remember when we were so amazingly primitive that we thought digital watches were a pretty neat idea ;D

So do I :D/:(

I got a Star Wars LED watch for my birthday in, ooh, 1978. It had stickers that fit over the frame. You had to press a button to get the time to display.

Ace it was.

« Reply #24 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:31:42 am »

So do I :D/:(

I got a Star Wars LED watch for my birthday in, ooh, 1978. It had stickers that fit over the frame. You had to press a button to get the time to display.

Ace it was.

I think I had the same watch! Was yours almost impossible to read outside?