Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252171 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1375 on: 19 January, 2011, 03:07:36 pm »
I haven't been to Granny Annie's for ages, which is where the scales live! Last time I visited they told me that I had put on an absolute shedload of weight since last summer.  My jeans are telling me that I may have lost a bit of that since Christmas, but jeans have been known to lie!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1376 on: 20 January, 2011, 09:31:18 am »
the first kilo off is the easiest

« Reply #1377 on: 21 January, 2011, 10:40:28 pm »
Yay I have lost 2kg in a week while eating lots of pub lunches, drinking a couple of glasses of wine in the evenings and continuing with my brie and cranberry pannini fetish.
Of course it might just have been I was retaining fluid before and now I'm not. Having said that I have ridden over 400 miles in less than 3 weeks  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #1378 on: 23 January, 2011, 05:08:01 pm »
Posting this here for posterity as this evening and tomorrow may be somewhat less... restrained. See if you can spot the audax days  ;D

« Reply #1379 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:43:26 pm »
I am in the process of a de-clutter, and I found what we shall refer to as

The Motivational Picture.

That smiling youngster is No1Son, and the babe in arms a 6 week old No2Daughter.

It's working wonders. I have completely lost my appetite. Even for Cake.

« Reply #1380 on: 27 January, 2011, 10:24:32 am »
Bored of no change, but can't be arsed to go back to full-on Livestrong self-monitoring of diet. Wish it was warmer/sunnier so I was more motivated to do some longer rides.

« Reply #1381 on: 28 January, 2011, 07:00:58 pm »
Until today 1 I've had no 'treats' at work (no cakes for birthdays, nothing from the sweetie machine).
This year we have already had more alcohol free days than we managed in the whole of last year.
I am trying very hard to stick to the Weight Watchers diet plan we successfully used last time

So why am I not losing weight.  ???

I do need to get out on the bike more.  Three flats in a week and a half haven't helped (and that's one of tomorrow's tasks - what's wrong with that front wheel or tyre).

>:( >:(

S

1) Today I succumbed to a flapjack2
2) It was pretty horrible and gave me indigestion.  Which might make it easier to resist a repeat occurrence I supposed
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1382 on: 28 January, 2011, 07:10:02 pm »

That smiling youngster is No1Son, and the babe in arms a 6 week old No2Daughter.

Awww your kids look very cute, no one is supposed to be skinny with a 6 week old baby you know!!!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1383 on: 28 January, 2011, 07:28:21 pm »

Awww your kids look very cute, no one is supposed to be skinny with a 6 week old baby you know!!!

I thought it was a rather lovely Earth Mother pic too...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1384 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:43:19 pm »
Until today 1 I've had no 'treats' at work (no cakes for birthdays, nothing from the sweetie machine).
This year we have already had more alcohol free days than we managed in the whole of last year.
I am trying very hard to stick to the Weight Watchers diet plan we successfully used last time

So why am I not losing weight.  ???

Stopping adding weight is progress in itself.  I'm guessing that in both indulging in treats and having come off the diet plan, you were putting it back on again, even if slowly; I apologise if that's wrong.

How did your diet change after the weight watchers plan?  Even though you had relaxed your regime, were you still eating more sensibly than you had been pre-plan?
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1385 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:56:06 pm »
  I'm guessing that in both indulging in treats and having come off the diet plan, you were putting it back on again, even if slowly; I apologise if that's wrong.

How did your diet change after the weight watchers plan?  Even though you had relaxed your regime, were you still eating more sensibly than you had been pre-plan?
Oh yes, much more sensible than we used to be. Eight years ago I was 17 stone. Over six months or so I managed to lose over five stone. A year later I was a hell of a lot fitter and feeling better than I had done for years. The trouble is that the weight is starting to creep up. I'm now thirteen-nine and would like to get back to under twelve. MrsC also wants to lose weight, but her current job isn't helping. Lots of travelling and nights away.
But we'll get there...
S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1386 on: 28 January, 2011, 11:13:59 pm »
Aye, well, it'll be slower now.  You may have slipped some, but you hadn't gone back to the eating habits of 17 stone, so reverting to a disciplined diet is making less of a difference, simply because it's less of a change.  You probably need to add in exercise if you want to see faster results.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1387 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:44:17 am »
Up a kilo! How did that happen?  :facepalm:

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1388 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:49:38 am »

How often do you weigh yourself?  While daily is probably too often unless you have a lot of discipline, weekly is, I think, too little; the problem is that your bodyweight can vary by more than a kilo during the day as you eat, drink and excrete.  If you weigh yourself every two or three days, blips will show up as blips.  If you weigh yourself only once a week, you can be waiting a long time for an accurate picture.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1389 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:57:34 am »
Gah!  Not making progress.
Getting there...

« Reply #1390 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:16:44 am »

How often do you weigh yourself?  While daily is probably too often unless you have a lot of discipline, weekly is, I think, too little; the problem is that your bodyweight can vary by more than a kilo during the day as you eat, drink and excrete.  If you weigh yourself every two or three days, blips will show up as blips.  If you weigh yourself only once a week, you can be waiting a long time for an accurate picture.

Yeah, just once a week. I guess I could log daily. It would need to be routine for me to remember.

Chris S

« Reply #1391 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:18:28 am »
Leaving aside the whole "fixating on weight" argument, I think the only reason to weigh yourself often (like more frequently than once a month) is if you are in any doubt about your weight loss strategy.

Weight loss comes from a daily calorie deficit. If you're confident in your calorie deficit monitoring and strategy, there's no need to weigh that frequently.

Most people want to lose fat, not necessarily weight. Typically, one would fat monitor infrequently - once a month at most.

This is tough if you need feedback to drive motivation - but therein lies the trap, because fat loss happens quite slowly, and you just don't get good feedback a lot of the time. It's a long term thing - engage a plan that works, and stick to it for weeks and weeks and weeks.

border-rider

« Reply #1392 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:25:10 am »
I've had a rotten cold/cough for a couple of weeks; losing weight has been a zero priority. So I haven't. Back in play now, though.

I at least managed to keep off the drink, though a glass of red & a brandy at bedtime was mighty tempting when I was feeling really bad last week.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1393 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:26:16 am »
Up 1kg since I last weighed myself two weeks ago.  Considering I've been off the bike a 1.5 wks and doing a bit of 'comfort eating' I guess I shouldn't be disappointed.

I now have my own scale, so no longer have to make sure I get to the gym so I can weigh myself and don't ahve to worry about the gym replacing scales 2-3 times during the year.  I don't mind if a scale isn't 100% accurate, but I do appreciate it being off the same amount all year long.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1394 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:27:20 am »
A frequent log doesn't have to be a permanent thing, but if you're unsure of your real progress, particularly at the start, then it can help and provide that feedback you mentioned.o

I made extensive use of the Wii Fit during the early months of my weight loss; the weight graph was just another data point among all the other goals and metrics.  Weighing myself several times a week simply provided context and a good picture of how my subjective feelings matched up to my physical progress.

Chris S

« Reply #1395 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:28:44 am »
I bought some fat calipers. Interestingly, they give the same reading as the Tanita scales that use the daft impedance method.

Either way, the reading is too much. Way too much.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1396 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:29:10 am »
I weigh myself daily when I'm trying to lose weight. There's a reason for this: my Salter digital scales are fairly inaccurate. I can weigh myself twice in quick succession and the two readings can vary by as much as 1.5kg. Each day I record in a spreadsheet what it alleges that I weigh and every week take the average of that, on the assumption that the inaccuracies cancel themselves out over a period.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1397 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:31:36 am »
I bought some fat calipers. Interestingly, they give the same reading as the Tanita scales that use the daft impedance method.

Either way, the reading is too much. Way too much.

Calipers are very difficult to use accurately on yourself.  Not that easy on others, either.  And people are different shapes, so I'm not sure it's much more useful than the hateful BMI, unless you're really aiming for some extreme bodybuilding regime where cutting back the fat to silly low levels earns you prizes for muscle definition.

simonp

« Reply #1398 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:33:28 am »
Leaving aside the whole "fixating on weight" argument, I think the only reason to weigh yourself often (like more frequently than once a month) is if you are in any doubt about your weight loss strategy.

Weight loss comes from a daily calorie deficit. If you're confident in your calorie deficit monitoring and strategy, there's no need to weigh that frequently.

Most people want to lose fat, not necessarily weight. Typically, one would fat monitor infrequently - once a month at most.

This is tough if you need feedback to drive motivation - but therein lies the trap, because fat loss happens quite slowly, and you just don't get good feedback a lot of the time. It's a long term thing - engage a plan that works, and stick to it for weeks and weeks and weeks.

People who weigh themselves more frequently lose more weight, though. (On average).

Chris S

« Reply #1399 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:43:12 am »

People who weigh themselves more frequently lose more weight, though. (On average).

Maybe frequent feedback does help then - even when it's negative.

The scales say I've not lost weight this week - but I know I have. I'm within about 5Kg of my target, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things. I'm about to start upping my resistance work which will be a shock to the system. Shocks to the system can be a Good Thing and can help kick you off a weight plateau.