Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332148 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1550 on: 26 June, 2020, 04:17:41 pm »
Pre ordered an Alpkit Elan for the 30th.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #1551 on: 26 June, 2020, 09:58:53 pm »
How small does the quilt pack down to?

You could go a bit smaller - this drybag isn't particularly air tight so it has a tendency to reinflate.

Down Fill: 900
Down Treatment: DownTek™ Water-Repellent Down
Temperature: 20°F (-6°C)
Length: Short - 5'6"
Width: Wide - 58"
Inside Fabric Color: Black 10D
Outside Fabric Options: Navy 10D
Optional 20D Weather Resistant Stripes: Steel Grey 20D

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #1552 on: 26 June, 2020, 11:55:32 pm »

How small does the quilt pack down to?

I have a Rab Neutrino 400 which comes with a drybag at 5 litres. It's about as small as I'm comfortable with bike packing. I've slept in long John's and fleece top n bottoms in the Rab down to zero comfortably.

But it is good as my ~25 year old Snugpack synthetic sleeping bag is summer only and pack down to the same 5 litre bag. I wouldn't sleep anything below 5 degrees in the old Snugpack.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #1553 on: 06 July, 2020, 10:24:52 am »

Am considering one of these sleeping bags for a future bike packing adventure.  The reviews on Youtube all seem reasonable for such a cheap and light down bag.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/AEGISMAX-Sleeping-Ultralight-Backpacking-6%C2%B0C-11%C2%B0C/dp/B06Y5ZYKYG

Anyone have one already and care to share your thoughts on it?

Edited 13/7/20 to give more complete review:

I tested out the Aegismax bag for five nights over the last week and it was fine.  Its 11C comfort rating was tested the last few nights with temperatures down to around 8C.  That was fine, wearing a long sleeve base layer on my top half and nowt but my grundies on the lower half.  At temperatures of 15C it was too warm slept with it unzipped to the waist.   Build quality seems okay though the fabric is very light and you wouldn't want to catch it in the zip too often. The zip is 3/4 length.

The stuff sack is tiny and it's quite a task packing the bag back in.  It does come with a loose bag for storage at home when not in use.  Being so thin, you'll definitely want an air mat underneath.  It might be a bit cold if you're on a camp bed up off the ground.

Suggestions if you're thinking about one of these.
* worth packing a thin liner to extend it's temperature rating a little.
* definitely worth getting the large version.  I'm 5'10" and the large gave me a comfortable space.
* there is no built in hood, so being a baldy-man I needed a hat/buff when the night temperature was low.  You'll also want a small pillow or stuff sack with clothes in.

I'd recommend this as a simple and relatively inexpensive (£75) bag for a bike packing adventure from late spring to early autumn.  Be prepared to wear another layer if the temperature drops.

« Reply #1554 on: 16 July, 2020, 03:15:36 pm »
I bought one of these the other day:

I cannot really justify spending far too much money on a poo trowel (but...it's purple!). :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1555 on: 16 July, 2020, 08:39:04 pm »

I cannot really justify spending far too much money on a poo trowel (but...it's purple!). :facepalm:

I think we just reached peak phantasmagoriana :)

(I did google to see if it was molished from titanium, but alas it's aluminimum.  I also learned that, in fitting with the bisexual colour scheme, it digs both ways.)

« Reply #1556 on: 16 July, 2020, 08:58:08 pm »
The Deuce Number Two........   does that have the same meaning in USanian ?      http://www.thetentlab.com/Deuce/DeuceofSpadespage.html   

:D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1557 on: 17 July, 2020, 11:56:02 am »

I bought one of these last year for my backpacking/wild camping trip to the Kungsleden trail in northern Sweden.  It didn't get used given the excellent availability of "facilities" on the trail.  The curve of the shovel fits nicely around a 1 litre SIGG flask, secured with a rubber band, to stop the pointy shovel damaging other things in the rucksack. 

It has a useful hole at one end so that it can be use as an emergency tent peg. Handy in soft/sandy ground where other pegs won't hold well.

« Reply #1558 on: 17 July, 2020, 12:22:11 pm »
Paid for my Alpkit Elan bivi today which I thought I had pre-ordered of 26th June.
There was a cock up and I was never invoiced and consequently never got one despite two emails telling me it was on my way to me.

Got to wait until 30th August for the next batch but Alpkit kindly gave me 20% discount. ;D
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #1559 on: 18 July, 2020, 08:53:08 pm »

It has a useful hole at one end so that it can be use as an emergency tent peg. Handy in soft/sandy ground where other pegs won't hold well.
I went the other way - a soft ground peg that I can also use as a trowel
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/accessories-c10/tent-pegs-poles-c11/titanium-dig-dig-tool-p8397

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1560 on: 18 July, 2020, 10:37:08 pm »

I've got a Sea to Summit poo trowel but I can't tell whether it's purple or blue?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1561 on: 18 July, 2020, 10:38:27 pm »
I've got a .jpg?forceSize=false&forceAspectRatio=true&useTrim=true]Sea to Summit poo trowel but I can't tell whether it's purple or blue?

Yep, that's definitely purple or blue.  Much like mains wiring, the important thing is that it's not $generic_poo_colour

« Reply #1562 on: 18 July, 2020, 11:34:39 pm »
A 3x3m LOMO tarp for my first attempt at erecting a shelter using a bike as a support.  The tarp weighs in at 800g, not that light, but it does provide a roomy shelter big enough for 2 including the bike.  Please feel free to suggest other configurations that may work as well/better.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Nick H.

« Reply #1563 on: 19 July, 2020, 08:50:58 pm »
Can 2 people really sleep in there without the tarp pressing on their heads? And do you just sleep on a Thermarest or something without a groundsheet? If so, what about death by slugs or ants during the night?

And how do you get the bike to stay upright?

« Reply #1564 on: 19 July, 2020, 11:57:11 pm »
Can 2 people really sleep in there without the tarp pressing on their heads? And do you just sleep on a Thermarest or something without a groundsheet? If so, what about death by slugs or ants during the night?

And how do you get the bike to stay upright?
I haven't tried it out for real yet but I reckon it's big enough for 2 people lying lengthways on each side of the bike.  It's intended to be used in conjunction with a bivvy bag and sleeping mat as a means of providing additional shelter in case of rain. 
I secured the bike with guy lines from each handle bar, wrapping the lines over the brake levers to prevent the bike from moving fore/aft and then covered the bike with the tarp and pegged it down.
The tarp weighs 800g, so even with the bivvy bag @300g it's a significant weight saving compared to a small tent, as well as being easier to pack and much more spacious :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Nick H.

« Reply #1565 on: 20 July, 2020, 09:44:56 pm »
Excellent. There's nothing better than saving couple of hundred grams while improving your comfort. There ought to be a special word for ultralight luxury cycle-camping...something which implies having it all but without turning the bike into a pudding.

« Reply #1566 on: 27 July, 2020, 07:04:25 pm »
A little wood/alcohol stove. A folding windshield. A set of nesting pans. And a purple mug.

I've got some pans somewhere I think but not sure where it what state they're in. And I have a couple gas stoves but I found them and they're rusty with canisters of dubious fitness.

All unnecessary as I normally eat in the pub or I'm with my Mum who has a camper van with far more cooking gear than I can carry via velocipede.

But I wanted it. And I find the idea of a little wood stove far neater. It'll only be for tea and just add water foods.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1567 on: 28 July, 2020, 11:57:21 am »

Ebay heads up.  Not mine, but a good buy for someone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSR-Hubba-Hubba-HP-2-Person-Tent/164306161057?epid=0&hash=item2641690da1%3Ag%3ABgcAAOSw6VJfG%7EzV&LH_ItemCondition=4

I have one of these & it's excellent.   Luxury camping for 1 person.  I've done a couple of month long trips in mine & lots of shorter ones.  No problems at all.

« Reply #1568 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:45:15 pm »
The stove and windshield arrived:

It does the fire. Bit fiddly lighting it but I'm not sure the sticks were as dry as they ought to be. A several of matches and a sheet of kitchen roll later though and it was going nicely and my spider filled (well hopefully I'd got them all out) kettle of 500ml water was boiling nicely after not many minutes at all.

And the pile of ash left behind was tiny. For camping tomorrow I've got a plumbing soldering mat to put it all on to protect the grass which I think will be sufficient. Might take some foil to catch the ash in for cleaner disposal.

Very pleased. Anooyingly I don't think my new pan set will arrive in time for my departure tomorrow but there's always next time.

Also:

Purple mug is purple!

« Reply #1569 on: 28 July, 2020, 11:06:37 pm »
Don't show that mug to phantasmagoriana !

I always fancied one of the Snowpeak titanium mugs in purple, but could never bring myself to pay the purple tax.....

« Reply #1570 on: 28 July, 2020, 11:14:06 pm »
Mine was £2.91!

« Reply #1571 on: 29 July, 2020, 07:07:58 pm »
I approve! :thumbsup:

My camping mug is boring grey titanium... :-[

« Reply #1574 on: 16 August, 2020, 12:47:52 pm »
A 3x3m LOMO tarp for my first attempt at erecting a shelter using a bike as a support.  The tarp weighs in at 800g, not that light, but it does provide a roomy shelter big enough for 2 including the bike.  Please feel free to suggest other configurations that may work as well/better.

I think it depends on how much the tarp tension over the bike stabilisers the bike.  As I can see running less tarp over the bike would free up more sleeping / storage space. I’d probably get some bunny cord and small carabiners for securing the tarp, either to pegs or to trees if in woods.  It’s certainly got more head room than my hooped bivvy which is similar weight