Author Topic: Putting a pet to sleep  (Read 4664 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Putting a pet to sleep
« Reply #25 on: 24 December, 2013, 01:19:16 pm »
\o/ top news :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #26 on: 24 December, 2013, 02:31:05 pm »
Don't forget the daily contribution to the gratuitous cat pictures thread. It's a requirement for new kittehs

« Reply #27 on: 24 December, 2013, 05:10:18 pm »
Hurrah for Ginger George!

« Reply #28 on: 25 December, 2013, 11:00:00 am »
The last couple of weeks our cat Cannelle had not been eating properly, and we took her to the vet yesterday. That morning I noticed that there was a thickening of the skin over her tummy. The vet noticed that she had difficulty breathing, did an X-ray and said there was secondary metastases in the lungs. She could have had palliative treatment but it would have been weeks rather than months. She was ten years old and until a couple of weeks ago still behaved like a young cat. We were devastated but we both agreed that she should be euthanised then rather than struggle on. We had two cats previously, one we got at the same time as cannelle but he was much older, who had to be eventually put to sleep, but in retrospect we think we hung on for too long and they suffered as a result and even if they were not in pain which I think they were, they lost a lot of their dignity and joie de vivre. As a result Christmas eve was a washout. In France normally the blow-out meal is on Christmas eve. We had cheese on toast - we weren't hungry. We will have the steak tonight and the turkey on Friday. It was a decision which we didn't want to make but were content to have made.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #29 on: 25 December, 2013, 11:12:13 am »
Condolences djmc.

Ruth

« Reply #30 on: 25 December, 2013, 11:28:47 am »
Sorry for your loss.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #31 on: 25 December, 2013, 01:39:23 pm »
Sorry for your loss, a hard time of year for any death.  It sounds like you did the right thing though.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #32 on: 05 January, 2014, 09:24:35 pm »

How do you know it's definitely time? I think it's time but its so hard to know for sure.

Yes it's difficult.
Dear old Pearl took her final visit to the vet last Friday.  It was her second appointment.  We'd rung up the vet and cancelled on the morning of the original mid December booking as we couldn't be sure we were doing the right thing.  The vet was very good about that,  I guess that probably happens a lot.
I'm afraid this time it was most obviously time.

My advice to anyone is, don't allow your animal to suffer.  When it's time, you'll know. 

Happier, albeit, grumpier times last summer.

Good bye Old Lady.   :-*

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #33 on: 05 January, 2014, 09:53:53 pm »
So sorry to hear that Basil. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #34 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:09:05 pm »
So sorry, Basil.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #35 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:19:18 pm »
Sorry to hear about Pearl. I am glad you managed a last Xmas with her and that you were able to know when it was time.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #36 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:23:49 pm »
Awh, po' ol' Pearl.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:37:26 pm »
That's very sad Basil. Have a whisky on me, to her memory.
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #38 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:45:04 pm »
Thanks all. 
Pearl, I forgot to say, Thanks for all the vole heads.  You looked after us well.  :-*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #39 on: 01 April, 2014, 07:44:21 pm »
It is a very tough situation and one I have been through twice so far plus two lost in accidents and my much loved  lurcher Nikki is heading down that final road too. I know though that in return for 15 years of total love I haver to brace my emotions and take him that last time. It is the price we pay and I think it is a right and proper price to allow our loved animals to go with dignity and leave pain behind. If only we could do it for humans.

And you know, after it happens I can near guarantee I will be looking for another animal to love as I cannot stand the emptiness in my life.

Mean while we take the days as they come and some days he is not bothered and some he still runs like the wind. I will find a pic or three to put up.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:58:24 pm »
Poor old deaf kitteh has started walking into things now too. Wondering how much longer he's going to cope for  :-\

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #41 on: 17 April, 2014, 12:00:42 am »
That's very sad. You'll probably know when enough is enough, but hope he's happy for a while longer.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #42 on: 18 April, 2014, 09:00:46 pm »
Well, we had a bit of a mishap this morning. I let him out to enjoy the sun's rays. It had already been decided that outdoors was to be supervised but I hadn't really appreciated how much.
He was sitting on the top step, I turned my back for 2 secs and when I looked back he was gone. I found him on the ground floor covered in the leaves he'd presumably just fallen into (we are 1st floor). He must have walked straight through the railings. How bad did I feel? :(
Poor old dude.

Ruth

« Reply #43 on: 18 April, 2014, 11:13:27 pm »
Aw that's sad. How is he?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #44 on: 19 April, 2014, 09:45:14 am »
He's not showing anything obvious physically but he was in the wardrobe for a lot of yesterday and I woke up in the night to find him going round in circles beside my bed, though a bit of a tickle seemed to reboot him.