Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Grow Your Own / Re: New Lawnmower?
« Last post by mike on Today at 05:02:06 pm »
Apparently they use the same motors as Hayter, feel quite well built, have variable speed which I thought made sense as aged parent gets older.  Also grey, not red or orange which most of them seem to be.
OT Knowledge / Re: Mixer Tap regulations
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 04:59:01 pm »
I *suspect* that if the cold supply has a none return valve, then it is fine to mix in the tap.
The Knowledge / Re: Old steel-
« Last post by zigzag on Today at 04:50:46 pm »
i have a bike of similar vintage, and it's not too bad (apart from being prone to rust). i've had the chainstays indented/widened to 45mm, to accept 32mm tyres. i kept the down-tube shifters on it up until now, but frankly it's a cr*p way of shifting gears, especially for a more dynamic riding. brifters are in a spares box waiting to be installed, when i get round to it.
these kind of bikes (vintage steel racers/tourers) can be had for a song nowadays, and if someone is willing to revive one and save it from skip - i see it as a good thing.
The Knowledge / Re: Old steel-
« Last post by andyoxon on Today at 04:47:13 pm »
I have 2 old steel road bikes currently in use...

531ST (1992) Double Butted:  Bought new in '92 as a 'fast tourer'.  Still going strong AFAIA.  Do it all bike, with 32mm tyres +/- muguards.  Good ride. 72 deg HA
501 (1988)  Built up in 2021 from a good condition frame (which I cold set).  Do it all bike, 28mm tyres.  Good ride, but steeper head angle. 74 deg HA.

Both 10sp 105.

531ST: Stealth / gravel /summer mode
PXL_531STmg by a oxon, on Flickr

531ST: Winter mode with MGS...
(click to show/hide)

501 - tend to keep mudguards on.

PXL_RRS501 by ao, on Flickr

OT Knowledge / Re: Mixer Tap regulations
« Last post by matthew on Today at 04:44:51 pm »
Depending on where you are the water boards bylaws were replaced with the "The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999" in England and Wales.

See here https://www.waterregsuk.co.uk/information/water-fittings-regul/ for the guidance.
Bright and sunny here today though slightly overcast at the moment. It has been ideal for the decorator painting my front door. I also just heard the chimes of the ice cream van plying his trade among the youth of the estate and their parents.
OT Knowledge / Mixer Tap regulations
« Last post by Russell on Today at 04:36:17 pm »
I've always understood that water board regulations said that hot water and cold from the rising main should not mix before they exit the tap.  Hence we have mixer taps that have two coaxial chambers in the spout.

However, I have just removed the hot cartridge, dripping don't ya know, and was surprised that when I turned on the cold tap it squirted out of the hot tap cartridge housing. There is no separation and this is a tap that is not very old.

What's going on?
Raining heavily now..  Windy later. Sunny tomorrow.
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 04:23:42 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 04/18:
58/58 words (+13 bonus words)
🎯 In the top 26% by accuracy
🔥 Solve streak: 124

I played https://squaredle.com/xp 04/18:
*20/20 words (+2 bonus words)
🎯 In the top 38% by accuracy
Audax / Re: ACME - Suffolk Branch Audaxes 2024
« Last post by Timb on Today at 04:15:21 pm »
Looking forward to this, diy for tomorrow to get me to a family members around the corner and then event and ece booked, routes loaded onto Garmin, cycling kit laid out.  Should be a 500k weekend.  Just need to buy some snacks to get me around.  To the brecks here we come!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10