Author Topic: Baby names  (Read 10912 times)

Guy

• Retired
Re: Baby names
« Reply #50 on: 29 November, 2018, 02:28:28 pm »
I think Slartibartfast is a perfectly good name for a boy
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #51 on: 29 November, 2018, 02:33:23 pm »
And people who give their kids traditional names, but spell them in an absurd way can fuck right off....
Mrs n, who is Georgia, takes great offence at Jorja.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #52 on: 29 November, 2018, 08:38:11 pm »
I present the panel today's tale of woe from Auntie.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46393501

No words!

« Reply #53 on: 29 November, 2018, 09:04:40 pm »
I don't anyone's going to object to "Dixon/Dickson" so what wrong with "Jaxon/Jackson"?

A new name has to start somewhere and I suppose that's the point, it's a new made up name and that's what people don't like. Maybe it's also to do with the fact these names are used by people of lower economic and social status.

There's also the use of a surname as a first name.

Actually I'm in favour of established traditional names, try spending your whole life having to tell other people how to say and spell your name. But if in years to come and most people have made up names, maybe that would become expected.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 29 November, 2018, 09:51:21 pm »
Actually I'm in favour of established traditional names, try spending your whole life having to tell other people how to say and spell your name.

I can assure you that having a traditional name that happens to be a common everyday word is no help in persuading people to spell it correctly.

Pronunciation's always going to be a problem when people move between cultures.  Like people mispronouncing words because they've learned them form reading, I reckon that's in the class of good problems to have.

ian

« Reply #55 on: 29 November, 2018, 10:11:22 pm »
That's the problem with stupidly alternatively spelt names, the kids will spend their lives having to explain how their name is spelt. Not, not like that. It's the sort of novelty that takes minutes to stumble headlong into tedium. And there's a lifetime of no, not like that ahead. Basically, as a parent, you've guaranteed your kid will, at some point, in the next couple of decades become a sociopath. And when the time comes for them to put you in a home, it'll be that one, the one even the council avoids. You funeral will consist of being tipped into a dumpster.

So, go ahead parent, I'm sure everyone will be in awe of your nomenclative creativity.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #56 on: 29 November, 2018, 10:20:19 pm »
There are 3 different ways of spelling my traditional forename, and 2 of the surname I picked up from Pingu, 3 if you count the English variant.
I don't expect anybody to spell my name correctly. Although with the English variant it does irritate me that people insist on taking out a consonant that is quite clearly enunciated.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #57 on: 29 November, 2018, 10:28:21 pm »
The Beardylings all have straight forward traditional names, Alice, Freddie, & Martha1. However, Ms Beardy the senior ditched our surname when she married earlier this year, not for her husbands name, but to a new one they made up themselves partly because she didn’t want his but mostly because ours needs to,be spelled out every time we have to give it to someone2. Dr Beardy (Mrs) frequently laments changing from her maiden name of Turner on marrying me for the same reason.

1. Though she introduces herself as Mo because she says she doesn’t like Martha  :(
2. Soft vowels and a silent consonant
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #58 on: 29 November, 2018, 10:46:16 pm »
This week I was mostly laughing at my colleague who couldn't remember which of <name1> <name2> or <name2> <name1> they were supposed to be dealing with  ;D

« Reply #59 on: 29 November, 2018, 10:46:30 pm »
People always think Irish names are wilfully peculiarly spelt but that's not true it's simple that Gaelic isn't English plus the fact that the Roman alphabet is rubbish at representing Gaelic. In fact Gaelic spelling is much more regular than English it's just not the same as English and why should it be any more than Polish or Finnish are. Its a completely unrelated language just using the same symbols for sounds.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #60 on: 29 November, 2018, 10:56:35 pm »
(Non European Phone Spammer voice)... "Hello, am I speaking to Mr Steh- Fen?"
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #61 on: 30 November, 2018, 01:38:39 pm »
I present the panel today's tale of woe from Auntie.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46393501

No words!

I pity the child (named Abcde if you CBA to follow the link).

I do wonder if the parents should be apologising for sentencing offspring to a lifetime of ridicule, rather than the airline, which fell into temptation.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #62 on: 30 November, 2018, 01:49:54 pm »
People always think Irish names are wilfully peculiarly spelt but that's not true it's simple that Gaelic isn't English plus the fact that the Roman alphabet is rubbish at representing Gaelic. In fact Gaelic spelling is much more regular than English it's just not the same as English and why should it be any more than Polish or Finnish are. Its a completely unrelated language just using the same symbols for sounds.

With a "traditional" typeface commissioned by Lizzie I, at that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #63 on: 30 November, 2018, 02:12:59 pm »
Neither Suzy nor I was bothered for sealing our relationship with a contract (unless you count the mortgage which is, I think, much more binding. It’s definitely harder to get out of. Try telling the judge that you should be allowed to walk away because of the lender’s unreasonable behaviour).

So taking one or the other’s surname wasn’t even a question.

However, the boys had to have (I think) a surname. They got Suzy’s. I figured it was best given her Blue Peter daughter (one she made earlier).

I am only a little bit bothered that I’m the last in my line, name-wise. Neither am I overly precious of the Irish heritage that will be lost, or at least less obvious, as a result. But I admit to feeling that it was important to keep a link to the same in the boys’ given names, which is why their middle names are Oliver and Oscar respectively.

They are the O’ Jarvises.

;D

(An indulgence of mine that they can exploit or conceal as they wish)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #64 on: 30 November, 2018, 02:42:58 pm »
True but I think it's a bit more complicated than that.  ;) Gaelic spelling might be completely regular but it does use letters or letter combinations in ways that are totally different to other languages. While there is some variation in letter<>sound relationship from language to language, particularly with C, K, W, Q, X and Z, it's usually between a small range of options. If you take a name like "Niambh" using that "mbh" combo represent a "v" sound is completely weird compared to other languages. This might be due to the Roman alphabet not having suitable symbols to represent Gaelic sounds but it doesn't make it any easier for non-Gaels to read!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #65 on: 01 December, 2018, 07:36:52 am »
Ahem. Ahem. Would it be rude to point out that there are some entire languages that make themselves unpronounceable by ONLY using  C, K, W, Q, X and Z  and forgetting about those pesky vowels?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #66 on: 01 December, 2018, 11:03:15 pm »
Ahem. Ahem. Would it be rude to point out that there are some entire languages that make themselves unpronounceable by ONLY using  C, K, W, Q, X and Z  and forgetting about those pesky vowels?

"BAA!"
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #67 on: 02 December, 2018, 08:13:58 am »
Oh, and a friend of Miss Ham, name of Holly, has a girl child name of Ivy. New girl child arrival is named Lilly.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #68 on: 02 December, 2018, 08:59:41 am »
I can't say that mine is particularly difficult, but people seem to assume a hundred different Scandinavian spellings, or swap the first bit of surname for my given name, creating an entirely different alter ego.

Note to self, use alter ego for nefarious plan to take over the world, they'll never guess

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #69 on: 07 December, 2018, 09:55:37 am »
One of our clients is called Ray Vaughan.  I wonder
a) how many baby Raymonds there are nowadays (answer: in 2017, 59, and 84 Rays)? and
b) were his parents Buddy Holly fans?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #70 on: 07 December, 2018, 10:12:27 am »
You mean Hebrew? As it's a completely different alphabet, I'm not sure it's comparable.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #71 on: 07 December, 2018, 01:23:02 pm »
One of our clients is called Ray Vaughan.  I wonder
a) how many baby Raymonds there are nowadays (answer: in 2017, 59, and 84 Rays)? and
b) were his parents Buddy Holly fans?

Or fans of Stevie Ray Vaughan perhaps ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #72 on: 07 December, 2018, 01:32:08 pm »
I also thought of SRV.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #73 on: 07 December, 2018, 02:54:12 pm »
You mean Hebrew? As it's a completely different alphabet, I'm not sure it's comparable.

Hebrew doesn't forget about pesky vowels. It implies them or puts them out of the main line of sight for beginners. It's got enough letters.

« Reply #74 on: 07 December, 2018, 04:11:55 pm »

Hebrew doesn't forget about pesky vowels. It implies them or puts them out of the main line of sight for beginners. It's got enough letters.
I'm sure that's just Cudzo being wilfully protective of Polish. Szczęście.

oh... and... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-fcrn1Edik