Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391043 times)

hillbilly

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #775 on: 27 February, 2015, 10:31:13 pm »
Repeating hill climbs in a perm are a long way from where Audax started - long point-to-point events.

So's 60km AAA DIY's

These trivial rides are also against the original intention of the AAA scheme.  It was a series for those who enjoyed hard riding. 

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #776 on: 28 February, 2015, 08:46:56 am »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #777 on: 28 February, 2015, 09:16:36 am »
I wish I'd edited my comment for singular/ plural consistency. I blame the lurgy.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #778 on: 22 April, 2015, 10:10:58 pm »
What does the current handbook look like? Is it this one? - http://www.aukweb.net/handbook/handbook.pdf

« Reply #779 on: 22 April, 2015, 11:32:37 pm »
That's the latest handbook, but it's not strictly current.

The handbook is discontinued, and the content has mostly migrated to the website, with some elements (eg palmares) appearing in Arrivee to maintain their hardcopy presence. There are inevitable inconsistencies, and references to the handbook remain, but they're being worked through.

« Reply #780 on: 23 April, 2015, 07:55:39 am »
That's the latest handbook, but it's not strictly current.

The handbook is discontinued, and the content has mostly migrated to the website, with some elements (eg palmares) appearing in Arrivee to maintain their hardcopy presence. There are inevitable inconsistencies, and references to the handbook remain, but they're being worked through.

:thumbsup: Ta. Was raking round the house last night for a good hour looking for the 2015 handbook...  :facepalm:

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #781 on: 26 May, 2015, 09:42:14 pm »
It might already be buried in the previous 32 pages but, is a diy or, permanent 600 acceptable for a super randonneur? It seems like all the 600's are clustered close together this year, for PBP reasons I assume. I would like to do one towards the end of august.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #782 on: 26 May, 2015, 10:17:37 pm »
Yes for an AUK SR (British homologated) but not for an ACP SR.

« Reply #783 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:40:06 pm »
Doing my first ever 600 - The Buzzard - later this month. I can complete a 400 in 24-to-25 hrs, so theoretically I should be OK in terms of time for a 600, but I'm going to need at least a few hours kip on a 600 whereas on a 400 I ride straight through the night. In devising a "sleep strategy", do I need to make the cut-off at every intermediate control, or instead is it sufficient merely to make the cut-off at the arrivee?
Eddington Number = 132

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #784 on: 01 June, 2015, 11:47:34 pm »
You need to reach each control before its final time, not just the arrivee. The times depend on whether the minimum speed is 14.3 kph or 15 kph, though most 600s in a PBP year run on BRM speed, 15 kph.....

In practice that means you need to ride faster than the minimum speed to build up a 'sleep fund',  i.e. a reserve of time when you can try to sleep.

Many seem to manage with the traditional three hours, but we are all different...

Over the last two weekends I did the Bryan Chapman Memorial 600, and also the Kernow and South West 600 with no sleep....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #785 on: 01 June, 2015, 11:57:20 pm »
Yep, you should reach the controls before the cut off.

You can leave a control after that cut off with the expectation that you will ride above 15kph average to gain your time back (however, do not expect a controller to be happy if you rock up with minutes to spare and then linger on for an hour or more!).

There is some discretion I believe if you arrive at an intermediate control out of time - again, you can push on and gain that time back. Again don't expect a controller to wait around etc.

You should be fine with that sort of time for a 400 (not dissimilar to many of my own times). 24 hours to the sleep stop, 3 hours sleep, 12 hours for the final 200km; this will leave you a cushion of an hour. Sound achievable?

You won't need much more than 3 hours kip in reality (though it is nice having more!). 2-3 hours will see you through to the end for sure.

You will be just fine.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #786 on: 02 June, 2015, 12:20:11 am »
Thank you both bikey-mikey & marcusjb - exactly the info I needed. I was reckoning based both upon my 400km times and because The Buzzard is x-rated that 90 minutes or at most 2hrs in a bus shelter somewhere would be my sleep allowance, and that my best strategy will be to get close to a control somewhere between 300km & 400km and find my sleep spot knowing exactly how much time I've got in hand. My first 600 will be a voyage of discovery, and although I'll be bitterly disappointed if I miss out on my SR at least I'll have learned something that will give me a better chance of earning it next year. Cheers!
Eddington Number = 132

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #787 on: 14 June, 2015, 10:18:18 am »
The place you are most likely to be out-of-time on a 600 is the first control after your sleep stop, so plan to leave your sleep-stop in sufficient time to reach the next control.
In general, your sleep time is going to be:

- your already-in-the-bank time-in-hand; ( so the later into your ride it is, the more you will have )
- plus -
- you can go into a planned time-deficit, so long as you can make it up *before the next control*.

For this reason, it's often best to plan your next control as far down the road as possible after your proposed sleep stop.   This maximises the distance available to make up any time deficit.
If the next control were only 10km down the road, you'd not be able to go into any deficit at all, since you don't have any chance to make it up.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #788 on: 15 June, 2015, 06:09:27 am »
Remember also that a DIYxGPS 600 can also be used to get your SR.

It has some practical points too...

Generally I would recommend designing a route with two different loops, both of which start from home.

That way your sleep stop can be in your own bed, with your own shower if needed, and limitless changes of clothing, easiest feeding, (favourite meal in fridge), and not forgetting things like floor pump, extra tubes, and even in extremis the ability to use different bike on day two.

As Feanor said, make the first control on day two a 'long' one, and as you design the route, make it as flat as possible, or even downhill if you live up on some moors, and if you are really clever plan routes that go in  different directions and just before you start, choose a tailwind assisted day two start....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #789 on: 17 June, 2015, 07:37:50 am »
Just checking how many days I'll have for a 1300, but my maths is rather terrible so can someone confirm please?

1300 /12 kph = 108.33 hours

108.33 hours/24 hours = 4.51 days. = 4 days and 12 hours. 

Is that correct? 
Does not play well with others

« Reply #790 on: 17 June, 2015, 08:57:48 am »
 Agreed. Slightly more exactly, 4 days and 12.33 hours, or 4 days 12 hours 20 minutes.

(If we had an agreed system such as "Gmaps walking" for measuring the counting distance, and if the counting distance was 1324km, you'd have an extra 2 hours on top of that.
 I'm not sure where we stand, or where we are going to stand, on that aspect now!)

« Reply #791 on: 17 June, 2015, 06:24:16 pm »
Agreed. Slightly more exactly, 4 days and 12.33 hours, or 4 days 12 hours 20 minutes.

(If we had an agreed system such as "Gmaps walking" for measuring the counting distance, and if the counting distance was 1324km, you'd have an extra 2 hours on top of that.
 I'm not sure where we stand, or where we are going to stand, on that aspect now!)

Thanks Tony, that's great.  Didn't want to ask you direct as I know you are quite busy enough!

« Reply #792 on: 13 August, 2015, 02:04:49 pm »
If you are doing a multiday Audax that runs from the last two days of September through to the first two days of October - which audax year would the validation count toward - the 2014-2015 season or the 2015-2016 season?

« Reply #793 on: 13 August, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »
It would count for the season in which you started the ride. When 600s (eg) are entered on the results, the date is that of the start. So a 1200 starting on 30 September 2015 would be dated 30 September on the results, so it would have to be counted in the 2014-2105 season. Unless I'm wrong!

« Reply #794 on: 13 August, 2015, 05:19:59 pm »
It would count for the season in which you started the ride. When 600s (eg) are entered on the results, the date is that of the start. So a 1200 starting on 30 September 2015 would be dated 30 September on the results, so it would have to be counted in the 2014-2105 season. Unless I'm wrong!

I had a feeling that might be the case!  Thanks Tony :)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #795 on: 15 August, 2015, 09:26:35 pm »
I would expect it to be allocated to the season it was in for the majority of the ride.

I know this is all hypothetical but, let's say, two people are tied in the last few days of the season for the stupid pointless points competition. Rider A goes out and rides a 200 on the last day of the season; rider B on the other hand, goes and rides a 1000km on the last day of the season. I would expect rider B to be awarded their 10 points but in the following season as the majority of it was ridden in the first days of the new season. So player A wins. Even if player B did 300 or more km in the last day of the month. Player A would have the right to be pissed off if they lost the competition by someone riding more in a different season (this is of course on the assumption that player A is worried about such things (which is itself made apparent by the fact player A went out to ride on the last day of the season)).

Obviously if you rode a ride that split equally over the two seasons, then it is up to you and recorder to work it out, but I suspect that this is not something that happens often.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #796 on: 15 August, 2015, 09:43:47 pm »
The entire completed ride counts for whatever minute it starts, nothing more complicated than that.

There have been close AUK competitions won by perms started after midday on the last day of the season.

In the old days, all counting rides had to be completed by midnight on the last day of the season. Sometimes that required finishing before the maximum time allowed for that perm.

« Reply #797 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:33:55 pm »
Is the 'results' section of aukweb a bit slow at updating at the minute?

« Reply #798 on: 03 September, 2015, 09:47:33 pm »

It's got results up from 9 of the 10 events run on Saturday, and there weren't any calendar events on Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday.

What makes you think it's a bit slow?

« Reply #799 on: 03 September, 2015, 10:43:11 pm »

It's got results up from 9 of the 10 events run on Saturday, and there weren't any calendar events on Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday.

What makes you think it's a bit slow?

I'm waiting on DIYs to appear in my/others results. It's usually very quick, just wondering. I'll just be patient like.  :thumbsup: