Author Topic: a challenge  (Read 1787 times)

a challenge
« on: 04 May, 2014, 06:49:50 pm »
I have an Edge 500.  I can download .gpx files from the Internet that other riders have uploaded to club pages.  Can you tell me in no more than 5 bullet points how to make this be a course in the Edge?

I understand that it will be just a line with a bit of an arrow.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: a challenge
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2014, 08:27:07 pm »
I don't own an edge, so might be off track, but I would suggest
- Open bikehike.co.uk
- Upload track to bikehike from your computer
- plug in edge
- download to device in preferred format (tcx?)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2014, 08:47:28 pm »
RideWithGps has useful help here... http://ridewithgps.com/help/garmin-edge-500. Scroll down to the section headed "OK, SO HOW DO I GET THE FILE ON MY GPS?" and read.

To summarise in bullet points :
  • Connect Garmin to PC (or MAC etc) via USB
  • Copy the GPX file to the "NewFiles" folder on the Garmin
  • Disconnect the Garmin
  • Power up the Garmin and the GPX will be converted and should appear in the list of courses
Be warned...not all GPX files are born equal, but that would require far more bullet points to explain and there are far better qualified people around here who have done just that  (I believe the above should work for GPX tracks).

« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2014, 09:00:59 pm »
RideWithGps has useful help here... http://ridewithgps.com/help/garmin-edge-500. Scroll down to the section headed "OK, SO HOW DO I GET THE FILE ON MY GPS?" and read.

• Disconnect the Garmin
  • Power up the Garmin and the GPX will be converted and should appear in the list of courses
1, 2, 3 done but not there on 4, does it have to be a .tcx file... and you've got one bullet point to explain how to do that ;)

Be warned...not all GPX files are born equal, but that would require far more bullet points to explain and there are far better qualified people around here who have done just that  (I believe the above should work for GPX tracks).

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2014, 09:28:37 pm »
I don't own an edge, so might be off track, but I would suggest
- Open bikehike.co.uk
- Upload track to bikehike from your computer
- plug in edge
- download to device in preferred format (tcx?)

Give that man a coconut!  btw are you doing other stuff on May 17 or do you want to come and help with the Lakes Audaxes, I was wondering if you might hang around the Duddon for a couple of hours for a petrol money contribution?  Mrs Revellinho has agreed to do it  :thumbsup:, but it is a fairly long stint for one person :-\.

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2014, 10:03:31 pm »

• Disconnect the Garmin
1, 2, 3 done but not there on 4, does it have to be a .tcx file... and you've got one bullet point to explain how to do that ;)

Doesn't have to be a TCX - depends on whether you want some kind of turn-by-turn instructions (ridewithgps is your friend here, and you can convert GPX/TCX and others on gpsies.com)

« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2014, 10:10:49 pm »