Author Topic: Your Olympic Event Experiences.  (Read 13500 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Your Olympic Event Experiences.
« Reply #25 on: 30 July, 2012, 05:24:04 pm »
Who IS the official Olympic hand-dryer supplier?

Boris Johnson.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 30 July, 2012, 05:42:47 pm »
I think I'd be tempted to peel that tape off, one by one over the course of the day...

On an vaguely related note, I see that my guerilla spelling correction has made it into this month's Cycle.   :D

Is this month actually next month?
It is simpler than it looks.

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #27 on: 30 July, 2012, 08:50:21 pm »
Watched both road races from the A24 just down from Givons Grove Rbt.  Good crowd and atmosphere, especially on Saturday with plenty of pairs of fake sideburns on display.  Only a 3 mile ride from our friends' house, which was plenty for their son who doesn't ride much, but even in that short distance we were overtaken by quite a few bikes and had people at the roadside waving and cheering.  Really felt like we were part of the whole thing.  Enjoyed the race, got a few hit-and-miss phone camera shots including a close one of Wiggins going past with a determined look on his face.  Also cheered all the stragglers, even the guy, Tunisian I think, who was drafting a team car so closely that he had to hang on to the rear wiper arm for support!!  Back in time to see the last 10 miles of the race live on telly.  Couple of things to remember on the way home; the marshal who was trying to keep peds and bikes separated on the road away from the roundabout  calling out "People on the left, cyclists on the right", and just about to turn into our friends' road in Effingham an overtaking cyclist called out "Hey, Alfreton" - I looked and saw a Buxton club jersey disappearing up the road.

Yesterday's Womens race was much the same except for a much thinner attendance and only one passage of the A24.  Rather miffed to find that Cadbury's had a sponsor's monopoly on ice cream sales which meant a poor choice an high price.  I ribbed the guy in the wagon about Evil Corporate Sponsorship but he took it in good humour, must have heard it many times before.  Got a good soaking on the climb back up to Bookham - Androcles Jnr wanted to race up the hill, I reigned him in after a few metres, even though the road was wide there were still quite a few people about and our friends' son was getting left behind.

All in all a good weekend of sport and even managed to ride a few miles myself.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #28 on: 30 July, 2012, 09:33:22 pm »
Androcles, we must have seen each other, although I've no idea what you look like. We were in the Tandem Club massive, about 200m south of Givons Grove on the Bookham side of the road. Just past the Polesden Lacey tourist sign.  Got up stupid o'clock to cycle the 10km from our campsite in order to get a good spot, but missed the really early risers in our gang. Got to the A24 and set about cooking bacon sandwiches.

Really great atmosphere, lots of whooping the crowd up by the police motorcyclists, hand slapping as the rode past.  Got into a routine after the first couple of laps: watch and count breakaway, note time, take photos. Peloton goes past, note time, take more photos. Then relax, have some food/take a leak/get a drink/go for a wander. Repeat.

Tried to go to Leatherhead afterwards, but it was full, so cycled up Young Street towards Bookham and a pubbe with a television, stopping to fix a puncture or twain on the way.

Sunday was a much more relaxed start, setting off at about half ten to Denbies. Secure bike parking was £2. Now I've never paid to park my bike in my life, but this did seem well organised. You got two wrist bands with your name on. Fix one to bike, one to person and away you go. They were checked when we left. And as our tandem and trailer combination had 3 wheels and was v v long, I thought it a bargain really.  Watched the women's race on the big screen, dashing to the road when they got close, then back to the screen when they'd gone. More police hand slapping and party atmosphere. A bit miffed at being told to push the bike to and from the bike park - I asked a security bod if he pushed his car to the car park.

Got soaking wet on the ride home though.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #29 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:16:45 pm »
.... I asked a security bod if he pushed his car to the car park.

Tops!
Same here  ;D

Martin

« Reply #30 on: 30 July, 2012, 11:02:25 pm »
Men's RR at the top of Box Hill;

we went for the cheap tickets at the bottom; but on arrival were told we could go up to Donkey Green and as I knew it had a big screen it was a no-brainer. As soon as Team GB passed on the final lap everyone swarmed to the screen to watch the conclusion; the excitement and ultimate disappointment was really tangible

fantastic ambiance and atmosphere with a real international feel; worth 10 times the £10 ticket price just for the organisation; everyone was so enthusiastic, from the station staff, squaddies at security to the police bikers who loved every minute of it hand slapping the crowd as they rode round.

slightly spoilt by a couple who camped on the railings complete with TdF chairs and a large amount of luggage and stopped anyone getting a good view; we gave up and found a convenient mound just by the feed stations

anyone want a nearly new BMW estate in silver form an orderly queue after Wednesday; there was one for each country (almost) and all they seemed to do was carry food and drinks to the feed station (they were not allowed to drive alongside), amazed there were no prangs as it's probably the first time many of the team captains had driven a RHD car

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #31 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:09:40 am »
The standard of driving of team cars is somewhat 'interesting'.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #32 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:15:26 am »

Indeed.
Richmond Park's 20mph limit was being flouted to the nth degree on Sunday, with some pretty cavalier steering to boot.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 31 July, 2012, 11:03:17 am »
You'd have thought they could afford more recent support vehicles than Cavaliers.
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #34 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:02:10 pm »
You will probably find that as the roads are temporarily not a public road, normal public road driving rules do not apply.

« Reply #35 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:11:46 pm »

Indeed.
Richmond Park's 20mph limit was being flouted to the nth degree on Sunday, with some pretty cavalier steering to boot.

I suspect cyclists regulalry break the 20mph limit in Richmond Park whether in a RR or not.

I quite liked the battered Belgium bus.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #36 on: 31 July, 2012, 12:53:20 pm »

Indeed.

I suspect cyclists regulalry break the 20mph limit in Richmond Park whether in a RR or not.

The 20mph speed limit in Richmond park does not apply to cyclists.  The byelaws were amended last year and refer only to 'mechanically propelled vehicles'.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #37 on: 31 July, 2012, 02:16:21 pm »
You'd have thought they could afford more recent support vehicles than Cavaliers.

Yes, the way they were being driven close to cyclists had a huge reinforcing that-particular-car-from-Bavaria stereotype thing going on.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #38 on: 31 July, 2012, 03:26:28 pm »
My one and only paid-for Olympic experience went well: with a £20 ticket for whiff-whaff at the ExceL Centre on Sunday, 9 am.

It didn't take terribly long to get in, and I had a reasonable and interesting view (of 2 of the 4 tables), despite being on the back row.  The only Brit (woman) I saw got slaughtered in Round 2. :'(  The highlight was a close match between men from Nigeria and Turkey (Turkey won).

One major complaint: one big bank of best seats were empty.

My only other complaints are minor:
 - Lack of temporary short-cuts to bypass carpark-sized mazes of zig-zags to get to security when they were nearly empty.
 - Not enough water taps inside the venue, resulting in boring queuing.
 - The price of a small bottle of Fanta: £2.30.

I actually liked it that most of the security at the venue entrance (outdoors) was done by the army.  They weren't armed (as far as I could tell) and their camouflage somehow looks more friendly than private security guard and police uniforms.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #39 on: 31 July, 2012, 04:35:21 pm »
anyone want a nearly new BMW estate in silver form an orderly queue after Wednesday; there was one for each country (almost) and all they seemed to do was carry food and drinks to the feed station (they were not allowed to drive alongside), amazed there were no prangs as it's probably the first time many of the team captains had driven a RHD car

There nearly was a pile-up of team cars in Richmond Park, almost exactly where Cancellara zigged when the road zagged. Lots of people waving at the drivers to slow down, which probably prevented a multiple shunt.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

contango

« Reply #40 on: 31 July, 2012, 04:36:28 pm »
You will probably find that as the roads are temporarily not a public road, normal public road driving rules do not apply.

Seems reasonable. From what I saw on TV I didn't notice any of the riders stopping for red traffic lights either. Tsk, scofflaw cyclists blah blah blah... at least none of them were riding on the pavement.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

contango

« Reply #41 on: 31 July, 2012, 04:54:25 pm »

Indeed.

The 20mph speed limit in Richmond park does not apply to cyclists.  The byelaws were amended last year and refer only to 'mechanically propelled vehicles'.

That is interesting, I did a Google search on it having read more recently than last year about the police talking to cyclists in Richmond Park for speeding (that article said that a cyclist is not required to have a speedometer, and so a speed limit is impractical to enforce unless it's clear the cyclist couldn't possibly claim to have not known they were exceeding it), and found this:

http://www.astounding.org.uk/ian/cyclelaw/speed_limits.html

which suggests speed limits don't apply to cyclists anywhere. That's encouraging, since one of my favourite local hills is steep enough to freewheel into the 30s but has a 30 limit.

Even if speed limits don't apply (and from the article it appears they don't) a cyclist can still be prosecuted for "cycling furiously" which could be a tricky one if it's the kind of vague concept like "dangerous" or "careless", that is ultimately a matter of opinion rather than of fact.

That said, I looked at the link to the The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces (Amendment) etc. Regulations 2010 and it says:

“vehicle” means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road.

So on that basis I'd be inclined to say the speed limit in Richmond Park still applies to cyclists.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #42 on: 31 July, 2012, 05:32:28 pm »
Re public roads (not royal parks):

Speed limits have nothing to do with speedometers or lack of speedometers.  This has been covered in excruciating detail on this forum before., and we established, definitely, that speed limits on public roads apply only to motor vehicles.

That said, I looked at the link to the The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces (Amendment) etc. Regulations 2010 and it says:

“vehicle” means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road.

So on that basis I'd be inclined to say the speed limit in Richmond Park still applies to cyclists.

Propel = to drive, or cause to move, forward or onward.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/propel?s=t

Only my legs propel my vehicles! (though I'm thinking about getting an electric motor for one of them eventually).  My cranks, chain and gears don't propel me.  They are just the links between me and my wheels.

contango

« Reply #43 on: 31 July, 2012, 05:52:49 pm »
Re public roads (not royal parks):

Speed limits have nothing to do with speedometers or lack of speedometers.  This has been covered in excruciating detail on this forum before., and we established, definitely, that speed limits on public roads apply only to motor vehicles.

I guess most things have been done to death at some time or another. Being fairly new here I haven't read the entire archive.

Propel = to drive, or cause to move, forward or onward.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/propel?s=t

Only my legs propel my vehicles! (though I'm thinking about getting an electric motor for one of them eventually).  My cranks, chain and gears don't propel me.  They are just the links between me and my wheels.

If the argument is that your legs spinning drives your vehicle and the chain, gears etc are just links then by the same argument a car burns petrol (a chemical, not a mechanical process) and the pistons, cranks, propshafts etc are merely links between a chemical process and the wheels.

Your legs spinning don't cause the bicycle to move forward because in isolation, in the absence of the cranks, chain, cassette etc, you'd just be sitting on a seat spinning your legs and going nowhere apart from possibly falling over sideways. The reason you go forward is because of the mechanical arrangement of pedals, cranks, chain, cassette, freehub etc that transfers the power from your legs moving around to make the back wheel turn.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #44 on: 31 July, 2012, 05:56:34 pm »
I'm sort-of watching the Women's Gymnastics. The crowd noise makes me think that everyone is about to win a Crackerjack! Pencil.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #45 on: 31 July, 2012, 06:55:03 pm »

The "mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road" bit also features in the Road Traffic Act 1988 where it defines a motor cehicle:

“motor car” means a mechanically propelled vehicle, not being a motor cycle or an invalid carriage, which is constructed itself to carry a load or passengers and the weight of which unladen—

So I'd say it doesn't. 

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #46 on: 31 July, 2012, 06:58:49 pm »
I guess most things have been done to death at some time or another. Being fairly new here I haven't read the entire archive.

You can be forgiven for that!  :)  But, with the help of my memory of the YACF archive, I don't think your your definitions of "mechanically propelled" and "cause" match those of legislators and lawyers.  I believe "mechanically propelled" here means powered by an engine or motor.

contango

« Reply #47 on: 31 July, 2012, 07:30:58 pm »
Just to lay this derail to rest...

Tim - the fact a "motor vehicle" is a "mechanically propelled vehicle" with certain attributes doesn't specifically mean that a human-powered bicycle can't also be a "mechanically propelled vehicle". That said, the CPS web site clearly states:

The Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (VERA) states that every mechanically propelled vehicle used or kept on a public road should be registered and licensed.

and since a pedal powered bicycle does not need registration or licensing it follows that a bicycle is not a "mechanically propelled vehicle". So it would appear that the legislation regarding speed limits to the Royal Parks does not apply to bicycles.

Which is good to know, because some of the hills in Richmond Park are a lot of fun to play on. As long as there aren't any deer too close... it's hard to see a high speed meeting with a deer ending happily.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 31 July, 2012, 08:08:15 pm »
I don't hold out much hope for anyone trying that argument in court.
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #49 on: 31 July, 2012, 08:11:03 pm »
Snip barrack room lawyer stuff..

A cycle is not a mechanically propelled vehicle in law. End of.

Speed limits only apply to motor vehicles (Road traffic act) and mechanically propelled vehicles (ie ones with motors). Similarly horses do not have to abide by the speed limit either.