Author Topic: Custom racks  (Read 4882 times)

bikenerd

Custom racks
« on: 11 April, 2008, 11:10:02 am »
Does anyone know of anyone / anywhere that can make custom racks?  As in luggage carrying racks, rather than Sheffield Stands.
I'd like a couple made for my Moulton as I'm not too enamoured with those currently available and I can provide CAD drawings of what I'd like.

gordon taylor

Re: Custom racks
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 06:50:46 pm »
Longstaffs in north Staffordshire make custom racks for their trikes. Robin Mather (sp?) also makes custom racks for his bicycles.

The cost, I suspect, will be astronomic! I'd expect a skilled fabrication company to charge waaaaay over £30 an hour for a job like that.

I bought a little pipe bender (8mm and 10mm) off eBay for a tennner and some aluminium hollow tube from B&Q to try and make a rack myself once. It didn't work, but it was a nice way to spend a weekend. Could you make up something yourself and take it to an engineering place and say "Braze that, please." ?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2008, 09:54:48 pm »
I'd be interested in this if you find a source.
I'd like a front carrier for the touring bike that has a rack on the top of it, rather than the low riders it has now. I know it puts the weight a bit higher but I could carry tons more shite with me!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:11:16 pm »
I'd like a front carrier for the touring bike that has a rack on the top of it, rather than the low riders it has now. I know it puts the weight a bit higher but I could carry tons more shite with me!
Take a look at the Nitto racks that on-one sell.
(their website looks to be mid-redesign, so you may have to ask).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2008, 05:58:16 am »
Doug Pinkerton does custom racks for Moultons and has done a convertable tandem Moulton.  He sounds like a good bloke to start with, based near Redditch.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2008, 08:34:59 am »
Doug Pinkerton does custom racks for Moultons and has done a convertable tandem Moulton.  He sounds like a good bloke to start with, based near Redditch.

Indeed, I was going to suggest Doug - I have his number and address etc if you PM me.

Rob
(and Hi! Dave in Oz)

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2008, 01:09:46 pm »
http://www.robinmathercycles.co.uk/
But you have to by a bike to go with it!
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

bikenerd

« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2008, 05:05:26 pm »
I bought a little pipe bender (8mm and 10mm) off eBay for a tennner and some aluminium hollow tube from B&Q to try and make a rack myself once. It didn't work, but it was a nice way to spend a weekend. Could you make up something yourself and take it to an engineering place and say "Braze that, please." ?

Gordy, in what way did making your own rack not work?
I have a couple of contacts who may be able to do some brazing for me so this could be a possibility.  I think the tubing would have to be cromoly to be brazed though?
Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2008, 05:09:01 pm »
You can braze aluminium - it's just a bit more difficult than steel.

gordon taylor

« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2008, 05:41:15 pm »

Gordy, in what way did making your own rack not work?

My brazing snapped... I bought some rods (again an eBay thing) that purported to be for aluminium brazing at blow-torch temperatures. But it was just too difficult for an unskilled person (me) to get a smooth, strong braze in hollow tube. I bought a beautiful Nitto front rack from On One in the end, which is a work of art in comparison to my scorched and spattered efforts. A broken rack on my once-a-year tour would ruin my plans for months. It's not worth it.

« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2008, 06:22:09 pm »
I remember seeing a web page where some one made their own racks using bolts and nuts instead of brazing or welding, although I can't seem to find it now.

edit: found it http://www.bicyclinglife.com/HowTo/HeavyDutyRacks.htm

« Reply #11 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:55:37 am »

Like this?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2008, 09:41:10 am »
Could check what other smallwheel manufacturers sell like Bike Friday.

Dahon or Bromton should aso have something that could work if you bodge it!

Lots of builders in the states as custom racks are the latest vouge but they will cost an arm and a limb.
Alex Wetmore have good instructions and pictures on how to braze your own!

:thumbsup:

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

bikenerd

« Reply #13 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:50:18 am »

Thanks for the link.  I've been told by Mrs Nerd that under no circumstances am I allowed to get welding / brazing kit. :(  ;)

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2008, 12:21:19 pm »

Thanks for the link.  I've been told by Mrs Nerd that under no circumstances am I allowed to get welding / brazing kit. :(  ;)

Oh that was yesterday, before she saw what our neighbours had brazed in their garden shead....

You can do it!  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2008, 01:52:40 pm »
Excellent. What did they use for the tyres?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]