Linked Events

• Mille Cymru 1000: 23 July, 2010 - 26 July, 2010

Author Topic: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 - 23-26/07/2010  (Read 222985 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Re: Mille Cymru - Welsh 1000 - 23-26/07/2010
« Reply #750 on: 12 July, 2010, 11:26:58 pm »
I've just noticed that Pat packed after this leg:
7. St. David’s – Cilgerran (53km, 737m climb / 13.8m/km)

St David’s – Fishguard – Newport – Nevern – Cilgerran (577km)

So that's after the coastal "lowlands" stretch we've all been dreading ...
See prior...

There's something about me'n'John riding together (as he inferred at Pete's); every time, we obviously piss off the weather gods, and he gets the lurgy... ;)

Some new bits of route, and some old bits; some new bits I liked, and some were just rehashes of other rides (e.g. climb from Dolgellau), caused by moving the central control.

The first day was much of repeat of last year's FAIL - Persistent headwinds and squally bands of rain. 1st to Vyrnwy, but nothing open, so we carried on over to Bala for breakfast.  Wet going over Bwlch, sunny in Bala, and wet going over Ysbyty Ifan; the drop down into Penmachno looked as gorgeous as ever.  Everybody regrouped at Pete's, where John looked as white as a sheet, and sensibly packed, so down to three we grumped up the climb from Llanberis (look backwards for some stunning views as you go up), where the other two disappeared over the horizon...

Pleasant ride along the Mawddach Trail. Pay attention to instructions in Dolgellau; you want to continue down Lion St to control, not use "Y Sospan" :facepalm:

Once you've climbed out of Dolgellau, it is indeed rolling - but the general trend is strongly down, in a sequence of stepped valley drops; enjoy...

Craving coming into Rhyader was for Custard Creams - absolute no chance at that time of night; GAWD BLESS THE WELSH #1 - won't hear a thing against them.  Rhyader Carnival week was on, and the pub lock-in had two trestles full of enough food to satisfy even Steve's (teehtgrinder's) appetite. One free graze later, carried on waddling along the route ;D, to reach L. Wells.

Faff, sleep for 3 hours & out just after 7; Down to just me & Pete, as Mike K has packed with knee problems, so we continue to play tag through the persistent squalls & wind to Pendine.  This is still the roller coaster ride of yore, so some 24" gearing was deployed, for variation and muscle relaxation.

Started to clear, even with threat of some sunshine, on the way to St. David's, but after leaving began to revert to form - wind picked up, and ominous clouds cuddled together.

Got to Cilgerran, called for a weather check, and heard the forecast was persistent rain and high winds by midnight; plenty of time (11 hours) for the 90km to L. Wells, but I just had a complete sense of humour failure (not like me, normally too stoopidstubborn to give in), and locals advised against the mountain road in expected conditions...

GAWD BLESS THE WELSH #2 - won't hear a thing against them. Dan (the Man) said, "kip on my couch, I won't be at home" - no contest really. Wandered off in his car & back, to locate said premises tucked down back lane, came back for several glasses of liquid refreshment, then got a good 8 hours sleep ;D

Up and out by 7, into sunshine (still with squelchy socks tho' - yeeuch). Appreciated the fine vista after Llandysul ridge, the wide, green verdant valley, the minor road snaking over Mynnydd Llanllwni (into Brechla Forest) that you just knew was where you'd be heading ;)  Long fast drop down to Beulah, and then along to Llandovery to hook up with John, Ed & Pete again for brunch. Pete was still going strong, and, accompanied by Ed cracked on round the 3rd loop; I'd gone into tourist mode, and pottered back with John to L. Wells, where we just slummed around waiting for the others to pop out of the loop.

Regrouped, revittaled, and with a quick hour's nap for Pete, we set off on the final legs - I decided to lend support, whilst John & Ed would schlep the stuffed panniers back in the morning.

Still cold, and drizzled for an hour or so, but never turned into the prior days' repetitive soakings.  Shades of the Rocky Mountains on the drop into Newtown (seemed to go on forever), and it was a bummer of no hot drinks at the service station - still, we're hardened to adversity by this time ;)

Spat out into the flatlands, we continued apace, Pete cracking 1000Km at 05:50. Finally split an hour later, as he peeled off back to John's with congratulations, and I finished the route to the hall - hate for y'all to go wrong on the penultimate instruction.

Schleped off to Shrewbury & some brekkie, then constant intravenous caffeine on the train home, so I didn't miss a change and end up on the wrong side of the country.

Still beleive it's not the terrain that's gonna be the determinant; crap weather is what's gonna do most in.

See you in [fewer days than you think...] :demon:

I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

simonp

« Reply #751 on: 12 July, 2010, 11:37:34 pm »
Nice write-up Pat.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #752 on: 13 July, 2010, 10:48:47 am »
On the way round we made a number of corrections to the route sheets. Most of these are clarifications, but there are a couple of real errors, and a new mini-roundabout has appeared on the run in to Aber.

Updated route sheets are on the website, and a list of the corrections on the blog

John.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #753 on: 13 July, 2010, 11:01:22 am »
You're crazy, the lot of you  :P

« Reply #754 on: 13 July, 2010, 12:00:18 pm »
Hi John. I've used your gpx files as a basis to plot my own from. I'm assuming they are accurate?

simonp

« Reply #755 on: 13 July, 2010, 12:07:05 pm »
Hi John. I've used your gpx files as a basis to plot my own from. I'm assuming they are accurate?

I'm doing the same.

I assume they're accurate, because if there's a hill nearby, they go over it.

« Reply #756 on: 13 July, 2010, 12:15:52 pm »
A tip:  googlemap satellite view and streetview is very handy for the cyclepath bits alongside main roads and especially for the last 1/4 mile to the Aberystwyth boat house

JohnHamilton

« Reply #757 on: 13 July, 2010, 12:42:09 pm »

Yes. The GPX files are derived from the online maps on the web site created by RouteYou, then split up into 1 track per stage and filtered down to <500 points / track. The road bits use follow road, and the non-road bits plotted out using Google satellite imagery and Streetview.

If you click on the RouteYou link next to the maps on the website it'll take you to RouteYou where you can download the original unfiltered tracks, transfer direct to Garmin, or download in Google Earth format (set to fly through if you want to be really scared!)

Note for those who rode the S&C400 - I've tweaked the run in to Aber Boat House to stay on the road now as it's easier. You leave by the cycle path to avoid having to go all the way round the Aber one way system. This also means you enter the control from the prom which means you don't have to climb the steps after 800k :)

And finally, thanks to the nice people at my LBS The Bicycle Hub who've volunteered to stay up all night on Sunday I've been able to add an additional village hall control on the final leg back from Llanwrtyd to the finish so instead of 126k through darkest Wales in the middle of the night there's now a kipping opportunity at 950k (closes 0500 Monday) to make the last leg a bit more civilised.

« Reply #758 on: 13 July, 2010, 02:25:54 pm »
Sleeping arrangements on the last leg?
You're getting soft :o
Make them carry on through the night like me & Iddu (who probably does not like to be considered as a domestique
 ;D)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #759 on: 13 July, 2010, 02:44:33 pm »
Make them carry on through the night like me & Iddu (who probably does not like to be considered as a domestique ;D)

Not in it for the fame or shame, so makes no odds what people think  ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #760 on: 13 July, 2010, 03:15:54 pm »
Thanks for your company on the last leg ; it would have been very lonely doing it solo without the benefit of the additional control which could be a lifesaver for anyone struggling on the last leg.
Thanks to the Bike Hub for offering to man it as it shows a level of service beyond the call of duty and, judging by their website, they also have the right sense of humour to keep the riders spirits up.

Chapeau!

« Reply #761 on: 13 July, 2010, 05:50:22 pm »
Bike Hub sounds great !

Will they be fully stocked up on replacement legs and senses-of-humour for those that got broken in the previous couple of days?

simonp

« Reply #762 on: 13 July, 2010, 06:17:08 pm »
My sense of humour is already under strain. Was stressing about various things last night. Didn't sleep til 5.30 and so was late for work. Then trying to book train travel is turning out to be a 'mare. I think I might end up cycling from Birmingham at this rate. :/

JohnHamilton

« Reply #763 on: 13 July, 2010, 06:28:44 pm »
Then trying to book train travel is turning out to be a 'mare. I think I might end up cycling from Birmingham at this rate. :/

Don't worry about booking your bike on the Brum-Shrewsbury trains. There's hardly ever a problem with getting on outside rush hour on either Arriva or London Midland.

Reservations don't mean anything anyway as no-one ever checks them.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #764 on: 13 July, 2010, 06:29:57 pm »
Bike Hub sounds great !

Will they be fully stocked up on replacement legs and senses-of-humour for those that got broken in the previous couple of days?

Oh by the time you get there you've cracked it.

simonp

« Reply #765 on: 13 July, 2010, 06:38:30 pm »
Then trying to book train travel is turning out to be a 'mare. I think I might end up cycling from Birmingham at this rate. :/

Don't worry about booking your bike on the Brum-Shrewsbury trains. There's hardly ever a problem with getting on outside rush hour on either Arriva or London Midland.

Reservations don't mean anything anyway as no-one ever checks them.

Ah, that's useful to know - though 80 other cyclists might be having the same idea. :)

(Worst-case is I have to shell out for a taxi, if I can't face a 40 mile cycle with my usual excess amount of other stuff I bring along to leave at the start + my drop bags).

Booking online via the normally excellent East Coast website doesn't allow me to book just the reservations for the Cambridge-Brum leg.  Guess what it does?  Gives me an "application fatal error".

I have already changed from having half-day on the 22nd to full day off.  Having to go to work in the morning will just add to the pain, and with the slow train from Cambridge to Brum (2h40) means I arrive in Brum just in time for rush hour.  So I discover that the work time-off booking system doesn't allow you to start a vacation on the same day you already start one - even if both are 1/2 days.  ::-)  So I've had to book two half days in a row with the understanding that I'm really working one full day and one full day off.

So I'll be able to arrive in Shrews mid afternoon, go to the hotel, make my way down to Upton Magna to pre-register and scoff, and then go back to hotel to try to get some sleep...

« Reply #766 on: 13 July, 2010, 07:00:37 pm »
S&C speeds suggest a 9.30pm finish on the first day, but like FY I will be riding with the next day in mind. So let's call it 2am with several daytime hours in cakeshops..  ;D

Don't be upset if I wake you coming to bed, darling.

Good news!

I won't be in the Hall with all you other snoring feckers.   ;D

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #767 on: 13 July, 2010, 07:12:24 pm »
Flatus, are you going to take me up on the offer of the sanctuary of my Bedoin experience; a night of a 1000 cuts of a pork sword?

H

« Reply #768 on: 13 July, 2010, 07:23:02 pm »
I've had my mind professionally dry-cleaned, don't know what you are talking about.

In the true spirit of audax I'll be staying both nights in a hotel.  ;D ;D ;D:P

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #769 on: 13 July, 2010, 08:17:25 pm »
In the true spirit of audax I'll be staying both nights in a hotel.  ;D ;D ;D:P

would it be this one by any chance?

« Reply #770 on: 13 July, 2010, 08:39:27 pm »
That one is in llanberis.

Doubtless, you are implying that is as far as I'll get.  ;)

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #771 on: 13 July, 2010, 08:43:35 pm »
Can't you go without Babestation for a couple of days?

simonp

« Reply #772 on: 13 July, 2010, 09:38:18 pm »
Can't you go without Babestation for a couple of days?

Is there an iPhone app yet?

I still miss Topless Darts.

« Reply #773 on: 13 July, 2010, 09:41:59 pm »
 ??? ???

Blimey, there's a whole different world out there that will forever remain a mystery if you've got a girlfriend  ;D

simonp

« Reply #774 on: 13 July, 2010, 10:04:34 pm »
??? ???

Blimey, there's a whole different world out there that will forever remain a mystery if you've got a girlfriend  ;D

Tried it.  Prefer Audax.  ::-)