Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 339318 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1250 on: 26 July, 2020, 07:24:48 pm »
It looks like a track on the map, but wasn't, on the ground. And the farmer was in the yard frowning at me. I'll have to have another go via the footpath from the south.

« Reply #1251 on: 26 July, 2020, 08:51:55 pm »
Yeah, I got that one from the south. You can follow the track in from near the Gretna, and there's a track-of-sorts alongside the motorway (presumably access from when they were constructing it).

If you come in from Preston, there's an entertaining FB under the railway. I made a loop of it :)

I got some Northumberland squares today to extend the cluster - all onroad, for a change. I don't have that much within sensible reach which I can get to by road, it was an easy sort of day.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1252 on: 26 July, 2020, 08:56:31 pm »

Now back to hunting tiles...

J

Turns out my Island escapades this week bagged me another 66 tiles. Nothing for cluster or square, but it does help the tile count somewhat. Still got the crazy disparity between total tiles/cluster/square...

:
10428 tiles
Max square 17x17
Max Cluster: 643

I should probably plan some rides to fix this...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1253 on: 28 July, 2020, 05:57:33 pm »

Challenge complete. 355/355 Dutch Gemeente visited by bike.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdreYpuX0AAFrWN.jpg

Now back to hunting tiles...

J

Well done
I still have 1 island to go

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1254 on: 28 July, 2020, 07:50:32 pm »

Well done

Thanks

Which one?

J
--

« Reply #1255 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:51:29 pm »

Well done

Thanks

Which one?

Texel
I'll probably do that on my Tern folder
Current Corona developments in Luxemburg and Belgium will decide wether I'll do the remaining 20 municipalities of Luxemburg first or the leisurely ride on the island.
J

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1256 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:08:47 pm »

Texel
Current Corona developments in Luxemburg and Belgium will decide wether I'll do the remaining 20 municipalities of Luxemburg first or the leisurely ride on the island.

If you fancy some company when you do that, give me a shout. Maybe I can bring the Brompton...

J
--

« Reply #1257 on: 29 July, 2020, 06:15:23 am »

Texel

If you fancy some company when you do that, give me a shout. Maybe I can bring the Brompton...

J

That would be a nice idea, two folders on the island ;).
I'll travel via Amsterdam anyway by train.
I might use a saturday when the weather isn't too great, to evade the masses.

« Reply #1258 on: 29 July, 2020, 06:34:57 pm »
I did a 'practice' 200k today in preparation for August 1st.  I bagged 52 tiles and managed to finish off Rutland.  Not a particularly elegant route with more spurs than I would have liked but it looks like I didn't miss any.  A couple of dry but rough(ish) tracks on the summer bike but nothing too bad.  The headwind for the return journey was a bit stronger than I expected but maybe I just need more practice.

« Reply #1259 on: 31 July, 2020, 12:27:16 pm »
My long term goal at the moment is to cover Dorset...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1260 on: 31 July, 2020, 02:10:11 pm »
My long term goal at the moment is to cover Dorset...

Mine is Kent...

I've got a couple of holes to fill west of Maidstone, the southeast London/Kent borderlands, and the Isle of Sheppey, but aside from that, it's mostly a case of picking off the odd tiles here and there. Planning a ride tomorrow that will fill in a few tiles NW of Folkestone. There's one really annoying odd tile south of Sandwich that is hard to access but once I've got that, I think I can count East Kent as being done.

I think a couple of rides I've done recently are actually worth a few new tiles but I can't update at the moment because my VV sub has lapsed. Now that I'm doing a bit more riding again, it would probably be worth renewing it for a bit of extra motivation.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1261 on: 31 July, 2020, 06:19:26 pm »
It looks like a track on the map, but wasn't, on the ground. And the farmer was in the yard frowning at me. I'll have to have another go via the footpath from the south.

I had the same issue just last Friday. I resolved it by riding down the track before the motorway bridge into the field to the first stand of trees. see map and photo below.

citoyen

« Reply #1262 on: 01 August, 2020, 01:45:41 pm »
There's one really annoying odd tile south of Sandwich that is hard to access...

Got the sod! Went out for a post-work ride yesterday, got carried away and ended up in Sandwich, so I did a little detour to grab the tile while it was on my mind.

It meant going down a bridleway for about half a mile or so, but the surface was mostly OK on 28mm tyres. Would have continued along the bridleway to loop back round to the main road but eventually hit a section where the going was a bit too rough for a road bike so turned back.

Still, 75km on a hot early evening to bag one tile. Very satisfying.

As a result of going out for a longer-than-planned ride yesterday, I have deferred my big multiple tile-bagging ride for tomorrow.

« Reply #1263 on: 01 August, 2020, 04:57:50 pm »
Getting there with Oxfordshire, bit near Reading to go, and then up in the North/Banbury & beyond...

oxon0820 by a oxon, on Flickr

(click to show/hide)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1264 on: 01 August, 2020, 06:08:17 pm »

10428 tiles
Max square 17x17
Max Cluster: 643

Left the shop and decided I couldn't be arsed cycling home into the wind. So headed with the wind towards Hilversum. Picked up some tiles that were blocking my cluster:

10437 tiles
Max square 17x17
Max Cluster: 666  

Cluster goes all the way To Hilversum, Almere, and Alphen. Might try for Utrecht next.

J
--

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1265 on: 01 August, 2020, 06:29:24 pm »
QG, next time you are near Venlo/Kleve let me know and I’ll buy you a piece of cake.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

« Reply #1266 on: 01 August, 2020, 06:46:08 pm »
Max Cluster: 666 

The cluster of the beast!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1267 on: 01 August, 2020, 10:43:00 pm »
QG, next time you are near Venlo/Kleve let me know and I’ll buy you a piece of cake.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2724715401175676904

An idea starts to form...

J
--

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1268 on: 02 August, 2020, 07:44:31 am »

An idea starts to form...

J
if you cross into Germany at Siebengewald and ride down the German side you get
A. Quieter roads with fantastic road surface (the roads in NL at this point are rather buzzy asphalt)
B. Three cracking cake emporia. One near Weeze airport, one just outside Twisteden, one west of Straelen

Might take you slightly overdistance by the time you get back to Venlo station though.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

« Reply #1269 on: 02 August, 2020, 03:32:01 pm »
Cracking day out on the bike. Weather was splendid (not too hot), route was lovely, got to stop for a sausage roll and coffee at my favourite cycling-themed cafe, and I grabbed a good handful of new tiles...

Went from:
7025 to 7043 tiles total
15x15 to 17x17 max square
520 to 647 max cluster

Very satisfying!

East Kent is now mine...

Thought about doing a little detour to bag the last tile this side of Ashford but decided to save it for another day.

« Reply #1270 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:45:44 am »
Picked up a few Berwickshire tiles yesterday, on a cycle to the seaside;

Explorer score:
10125 tiles, an increase of 16
Max square 18x18, still the same
Max Cluster: 730, an increase of 4
@CorbieLinnRider

rob

« Reply #1271 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:51:22 am »
I've just looked at this for the first time.   I have work to do.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1272 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:55:03 am »
Having never played the game before, I am finding it such a great way to explore my new local area - I've moved my (very mediocre) max square up here, so plenty to build on now.

I need to move my cluster up here, but I think that will take a little while, though I can now actually be strategic rather than having made it by just riding my bike (I now see if I rode in W. London again, I could massively increase my cluster with only a few short rides).

17030 tiles
Max Square 11x11
Max Cluster 509

It will take a lot of walking (annoyingly, I should have recorded many of our hikes already) as the high moors are largely impenetrable by bike.  When business picks back up, I'll also have to treat myself to some wheeled transport to ride as many tiles as I can - trouble is mountain bikes are a lot more complicated than when we threw ourselves down hills in the late 80s on rigid bikes, I don't even understand all the names of 'different' mountain bike types these days.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1273 on: 03 August, 2020, 11:58:33 am »
I've just looked at this for the first time.   I have work to do.

Having never played the game before, I am finding it such a great way to explore my new local area - I've moved my (very mediocre) max square up here, so plenty to build on now.

It's not too late to escape

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1274 on: 03 August, 2020, 12:05:07 pm »
if you cross into Germany at Siebengewald and ride down the German side you get
A. Quieter roads with fantastic road surface (the roads in NL at this point are rather buzzy asphalt)
B. Three cracking cake emporia. One near Weeze airport, one just outside Twisteden, one west of Straelen

Might take you slightly overdistance by the time you get back to Venlo station though.

Something like this:

I'm not so sure I'd do it as a 200 yet, I'm still rebuilding my fitness, Maybe I'd do it as a 2 day trip 100k each day... or just get a train to Nijmegen and cycle from there...

J
--