Author Topic: Meet the audaxers...  (Read 2253 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Meet the audaxers...
« on: 20 February, 2024, 10:38:05 am »
A few familiar faces in here:
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/audax-stories

(Article in Cyclist about the Moonrakers & Sunseekers 300)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
Re: Meet the audaxers...
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2024, 02:02:37 pm »
That's a lovely article.  Very true.

Excuse my ignorance but what does 'Mason-like' mean?  Like, the brand?
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2024, 03:14:49 pm »

Assume it means like freemasons - ie with lots of arcane membership rules and secret initiation rites.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2024, 03:35:56 pm »

Assume it means like freemasons - ie with lots of arcane membership rules and secret initiation rites.

seems the most likely meaning, not a comment about only 10% of audaxers riding mason bikes, I expected more.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2024, 12:54:39 pm »
Ah that makes more sense.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2024, 05:01:52 pm »
I wasn't a fan of the headline - it smacks of Othering (a "get these weirdos" vibe) especially for a publication presumably aimed at cyclists but the article is pretty fair and getting the riders to comment about themselves is a good idea. 

Overall it captures the essence of our humble-yet-badass nature well enough to gain pass marks.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 21 February, 2024, 05:42:34 pm »
Not sure why he concentrated mostly on the riders who live on their bikes when captioning the pictures.  He might actually put people off if they think those are the yearly distances they need to be doing.  I bet most audaxers are riding nothing like those distances.

« Reply #7 on: 21 February, 2024, 09:06:38 pm »
I think they were all told not to smile, like a passport photo. Dai of course ignoring that instruction.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 21 February, 2024, 11:25:28 pm »
A few thousand yard stares.
It is simpler than it looks.

sam

« Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2024, 02:42:04 am »
It's a bit American Gothic

megajoulesexpenditure

• More Pedalling Less Paperwork
« Reply #10 on: 22 February, 2024, 08:03:10 am »
 ;D I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. Good article but there's not much smiling going on apart from Dai Harris. Maybe there understandably was a bit of trepidation about the return leg of the ride? I thought the saying was more miles more smiles :thumbsup:

It's a bit American Gothic

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #11 on: 22 February, 2024, 09:17:04 am »
I think they were all told not to smile, like a passport photo. Dai of course ignoring that instruction.
I guess when you photograph people at 4am, with 150km behind them, and 150km left to the finish you get photos closer to mugshots than dating profiles.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2024, 11:24:10 pm »
The Thousand Yard Stare has been described elsewhere...

« Reply #13 on: 12 March, 2024, 08:22:24 pm »
It was definitely the look that Fergus was going for - I think if you look at his website https://www.ferguscoyle.com/ there are some great images of cycling on there.  I've asked him if he'd like to hang out at the Chepstow control on LWL this year.

For the record, my 12k annual distance refers to the distance I was doing in my pomp when I was daily doing a 60km round trip commute and still had all the original parts to my aortic valve and attachments...

However, isn't it great that a cycling mag even mentions audax ...

« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2024, 07:03:12 pm »
I've toyed with idea of capturing rider portraits but have decided to concentrate on a landscape with added rider/s photo style. I guess I'm just too shy to approach and pose people.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

« Reply #15 on: 14 March, 2024, 11:47:21 pm »
I've toyed with idea of capturing rider portraits but have decided to concentrate on a landscape with added rider/s photo style. I guess I'm just too shy to approach and pose people.

Robert H does a good job here, bit arty, all in the few minutes before the start of a few brevets, reasonably diverse, people & bikes & kit, which one is me?

https://bluebike.photos/#/portraits-of-audax/

« Reply #16 on: 15 March, 2024, 06:30:23 am »

Nothing can beat the photo of PeterM taken on the second visit to the West End Cafe on the Brevet Cymru circa late 2000s.

I'm tempted to go and find it...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 15 March, 2024, 07:00:13 am »
My favourite audax photo is the one with about ten of them crammed into a petrol station toilet just for the warmth from the hand dryer.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.