Author Topic: Last real prep for me completed  (Read 1162 times)

Last real prep for me completed
« on: 24 July, 2019, 07:29:55 am »
I've just returned from France after cycling from Dieppe to a place called Nandax near Lyon and back with an interval of 2 days which also included some very hilly short rides. I experienced whilst riding:
250km of constant but not heavy rain coupled with a 20kph head wind at 18 Deg C.
Heat up to 37 Deg C
Min temp of 14 Deg C
Max time riding without a sleep stop of 11hrs (19:45 to 06:45)

I wanted to see how I coped with a late start and riding through the night to replicate a 90hr start, the journey south started at Dieppe leaving the ferry at 14:30, I rode until 04:30 next day then bivvied for 2.5hrs and reached my destination at 17:30, so a total of 27hrs for 608km, this leg had the rain and persistent headwind at first.

The return leg started at 19:45, temps were still mid 30s Deg C, although as I headed north the temps quickly dropped leading to early morning mists and 14 deg C, I didn't really stop until 06:30 when I bivvied for 1.5 hrs before being awoken with a drenching from an agricultural crop irrigation sprayer! The temps quickly increased with mid morning being 25 deg C, midday 30 deg C and mid afternoon 36 Deg C, I arrived at Dieppe at 19:30, so time was just under 24hrs for 610km.

What have I learned:

I can ride straight through the night, I felt much better on the return leg as I had slept more the previous night and had a 2 hour nap early afternoon.

I can cope with the heat as long as I have enough water and can maintain a nice speed to keep an air flow over me.

Hot foot was the biggest issue leading to reduced power output and hourly stops to walk about in a pair of soft shoes (like crocs).

I also need to reduce the gearing as I currently run a 70t chainring, a 61 is much more appropriate and will allow me to "spin" up more slopes before engaging the Schlumpf Mountain Drive.

Food wise I struggled getting the balance correct, I constantly felt hungry and riding through the night and Monday morning in very rural areas provided few opportunities to buy bulky food meaning I had to rely on Hi-5 power bars, which I now detest, so if anybody wants some i will be giving them away! Southbound I took a couple of tins of rice pudding, these I loved, and for the weight penalty I believe it's worth me carrying a substantial amount of them as I plan on using controls for food as little as possible.

I found apples to be a pleasant snack and they of course have liquid in them, I went off bananas quickly, but I knew that anyway.

Tesco's own wine gums I always find good to have occasionally, soft, chewy and reasonably tasty, plus they make drinking water with salt tablets more bearable as the ride progresses.

Water was a problem, which meant that when I did find an open shop I would buy 6 litres, plus a litre of cold fresh milk which I would sink in a couple of minutes sat outside the shop.

Mistakes I made:

Forgetting to mend a punctured innertube when I had leisure time, meaning that when I punctured again at 03:00 in the middle of nowhere I had to find and mend my "spare" tube, no mean task when it is a tiny hole!

Underestimating, or rather being too ready to use electrical power from my battery which meant I ran out of juice about an hour from Dieppe, in itself not a problem as I arrived at the ferry terminal at dusk, but on leaving Newhaven at 4am to ride to where my car was parked in Brighton meant I was without proper lights, although I still had a head torch, a reminder to me to take a spare set of lights even poor ones!

I'm not sure any of the above is of use to anybody else, but the trip for me has ironed out a few crinkles in my planning and most importantly given me confidence that I can complete PBP as long as I have no major mechanical issues.

Ian

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Last real prep for me completed
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2019, 08:22:43 am »
I did one PBP on batteries. Floundering in the near dark west of Loudeac with my glasses covered in Scotch mist and my lights running out while the dynamo-lit blokes I was with took off downhill convinced me that it was a bad idea. Next time I had a dynamo running not only the lights but my GPS with permanent backlight too, and it was much more comfortable.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight